German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Staatsmacht kennel? Anyone have any experience importing from Rinus @daelenberghutte kennel in Belgium? Jinopo? Aritar Bastet in Czech?

Leads me to another question... Seems I can import for the same price as getting a puppy here. So, pros/cons of importing? I have no problem getting a dog here in the US either, just trying to explore all my options.

I have been researching a lot for my next puppy, which now seems not too far away. (Still a year or so...)

I am open to any other suggestions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I have met one female pup from Staatsmact. Gorgeous girl. Spitfire. Hard headed active. Not a pup for a beginning owner.

·
Premium Member
11,268 Posts
Shipping has gone through the roof from Germany.....it will probably be 3 or 4 times the cost of the pup by next year....

What you get from many kennels depends on who you are and who you train with....IMO, you are better off with someone in the US who has a stake in how good your puppy is...

Lee

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
last time I imported there were extra charges - taxes - by Customs once the dog arrived -- for myself that was 3 years ago and about $400 extra for the pup. Someone else recently mentioned being surprised by the extra expense.

·
Premium Member
11,268 Posts
sending Panther from Frankfurt to Pittsburgh was quoted at 1800 PLUS customs broker - through either Philly or NY....ended up bringing her into Canada, no customs broker, $150 in airport fees and border fees.... About 700 for shipping - June 2011....it is lots more now!

Lee

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the information - I know importing can be pretty risky... Just weighing options and was curious! Staatsmacht is located in the US though.. Anyone else have any experience with them? Thanks gsdsar. I like what I see with their dogs. I have a few other breeders on my list here in the US also.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
You are much better off looking for a pup in the states where you can go see the parents, develop a relationship with the breeder, and test them or have someone who can work a dog test them. Also, getting pick of the litter is important IMO and you should test and be able to pick the pup you want. Also, you need to be close enough to the breeder to test the pups several times before they are ready to go. When you import, you will get the pup they want to send you.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Jax, I will do that!

Chip, I think I am probably going to stick with a breeder in the US. Dont wanna take the potentially huge risk of importing and having to deal with all that..Plus, I would like to stack the cards in my deck of getting the pup I want, rather than what someone wants to send me.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Rinus is good too, and you can import for the same price as pups in the US.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A few days ago I was checking a broker's website (was just curious), they import from Hungary. The shipping from Lufthansa to Jacksonville is $840. If I was to ship to Miami it's a little cheaper, but depends where they fly out of, either Lufthansa, which would be $580 or Swissair which would be $840. Last year, it was much cheaper about $450. Now on top of that a person would have to pay for gas to the airport. The price difference in shipping is scary because they would ship to your local airport. It would cost way to much to import. So it isn't just Germany that had the price increase.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
It was approx 800 euros to get Paisley here from Germany (to SFO through Frankfurt). Lufthansa would only ship her at 10 weeks old. We only had to pay customs $40 cash for handling (and they told us this before we got to the airport). Her breeder had also mentioned increasing fees for shipping.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Staatsmacht is located in the US though.. Anyone else have any experience with them?
Yes I do!!! A few other members here do too but I don't think they check this board that often. Look up members Elaine & meldleistikow and send them a PM too.

Send Vinnie a PM. I think she has one of his pups and trains with him.
Yes I do. Great dog and great training. If you get a chance, try to come up to MN for a visit. I think you'd like what you see. :)

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
Vinnie - Me? Or the Op? LOL

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys :)

Yes I do!!! A few other members here do too but I don't think they check this board that often. Look up members Elaine & meldleistikow and send them a PM too.

Yes I do. Great dog and great training. If you get a chance, try to come up to MN for a visit. I think you'd like what you see. :)
Vinnie, I sent them a message, thank you! Funny thing is, Stefan told me to check out a staatsmacht dog on his youtube page, and it was Captain! I think I may have to take a trip out there to check out the dogs and their kennel :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts