German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had dogs do both, perfect sits and sloppy sits as pups and as adults. Those adults that did sloppy sits lived to 15yrs old and while geriatric, still mobile... But, obviously having sloppy sits is not proper or they would not be called sloppy... SOOOO, my question is: What your thoughts on sloppy sits, is it laziness? Pain? Sign of problems? Literally sloppy and nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She does the same at attention and for TFR etc, but she also sloppy sits when playing. She sees a chiropractor as do all my SAR dogs to maintain optimal health, and she has never stepped a lame step or shown any signs of pain, but it annoys me, lol??

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Ranger has good hips and prefers to lazy sit. I’ve always assumed (maybe incorrectly) it was just a matter of being comfortable.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always thought that too, Nigel. But haven't had a sloppy sitter for a long time (she only does it when relaxed) and then looked online, lol! Then I wanted more anecdotal thoughts from owners☺?

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
My gal dog runs like a deer but when she sits it almost looks like a slouch sometimes. Drives me nuts in a mommy kinda way. Sit straight young lady, so your hips and back will stay healthy. But she just looks at me and tips her head.

When we are working OB or tricks I make sure she is square and straight in her sits.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I've never heard it called a "sloppy" sit. I've always heard it called "lazy" Yes, there is going to be a small number of dogs that do it because sitting upright and at attention is uncomfortable though often it is uncomfortable simply because of poor muscle tone.
I liken it to slouching in your chair vs sitting "properly" Sometimes we do it because we're uncomfortable with prim upright posture for various medical reasons. But mostly we do it because we're being lazy, are very comfortable in our environment and plan to stay there a while.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Most folks my age will recall when children were sat on the floor and expected to sit cross legged. They have since discovered that a fascinating number of those children have hip and lower back issues as now middle aged adults.
I correct lazy sits. Gently, usually a toe nudge to the hip, but I do correct it. The stress on joints is real.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you train your dog to sit and only reinforce for a correct/"proper" sit, that is what you will get when you give the sit command. When the dogs sits on his own, sometimes the dog will sit "sloppy" and sometimes "proper."

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My guy offers very nice correct sits and downs of his own choice when he thinks I have something that I might do or give him and very nice when he is fully engaged and interested in a training session/spurt. No sloppy sits when he's at the door asking for a potty break or to go out. No sloppy downs while he's intensively watching me prep food unless he realizes that I'm going to take my sweet time before he gets a morsel then he will kick his legs off to the side and chilled out down. Same with the sits but not as often.

I think the sloppy is indicative of no real need to prepare to act fast. Same with the down. Can't catch a morsel quickly when the body isn't in the best position.

At least that's what I think my boy is thinking when he does either.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I see it as a conditioning thing.
When I was little I was expected to sit straight, shoulders square, ankles crossed, chin up. If I slouched at all and Gram caught it I got a cuff in the head. I am 48 now, Gram has been gone for years and it was years before that last I saw her. People comment on my posture, how rare it is, how unusual it is to see someone sit up straight. There is no thought involved, I was conditioned to sit this way.
I don't cuff my dogs in the head, but I do condition them to sit properly. Always. Just a toe nudge to the hip if they slouch.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well she is only rewarded for proper sits and when engaged or working she is always proper. But when casual or relaxed she is intermittent. Areli has never given a sloppy sit, nor Akivah, but I've had other GSD's that did when relaxed, but never during work or engaged..

Appreciate everyone's thoughts.. I wasn't worried, but definitely wanted to hear what others have experienced or thought.. I've owned many GSD's and they are all individuals ?

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
If you train your dog to sit and only reinforce for a correct/"proper" sit, that is what you will get when you give the sit command. When the dogs sits on his own, sometimes the dog will sit "sloppy" and sometimes "proper."
Yep, if you reward 'sloppy', you get 'sloppy'. Exact timing the reward is everything. I once had a client in my class whose dog sat with holding one paw up, because she clicked too soon and the dog just did what was rewarded.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I found Sloppy sits were noticed more in older puppy days maybe when they run like the dickens and want some cool air on their belly. It’s like wow I’m tired and just chilling. I have not seen Sloppy sits when engaged or doing obedient work so never concerned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts