German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've been on previcox and tramadol for a while with Midnights arthritis. The previcox does virtually nothing as there really isn't a difference between him on it or off it. My regular vet is adamant on keeping him on previcox as it is the supposed safest of the NSAIDs. Anyways, my holistic vet who also does western medicine is willing to switch NSAIDs as the previcox isn't working. He is getting accupuncture which does help and adequan that helps a lot but is on backorder. Anyways, what do you guys think of metacam? I know from experience that some dogs respond differently to different NSAIDs. Some have a marked response to rimadyl and not to deramaxx and vice versa. Midnight is also getting glucosamine chondroitin supplements, hyaluronic acid, msm, fish oil, vit e and Chinese herbs. He is on once weekly adequan and I'd due for a loading dose in July. I have enough for that thank goodness. He also gets tramadol and previcox. If I do switch the previcox, I'll do a week long flush before starting metacam. His bloods were excellent so no liver or kidney compromise. Just really checking to see if anyone has had success with metacam. I'm disappointed that previcox doesn't work, but that doesn't mean all NSAIDs won't work.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I had it with my female and it really gave her a new lease on life. She was like a puppy again. I liked the liquid form because you could taper down the dost to the least effective dose.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can't comment on the use of metacam in this case, but since you are already giving some natural supplements, have you considered adding Coconut oil as well? It has amazing benefits and my mom started taking it 6 months ago for her arthritis and she has noticed marked improvement. Might be worth giving a try. Our Jake gets 3 1/2 oz a week added to his food and I believe it was a big benefit in helping clear up his allergies and chronic ear infections.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My vet uses it for after surgery pain control, never had any issue and the dogs always seemed comfortable after taking it so it was effective. There was no nausea or other side effects I noticed either

·
Registered
627 Posts
We started using Metacam when Teddy turned 12, due to arthritis in his hips. Within no time Teddy was his old bouncy self, it was as if he was 6 again. Teddy lived for another 4 years with almost no limitations. We chose to use the liquid because Teddy was a pain in the butt to pill and was notorious for spitting out pills hours later. With the liquid, you can also regulate the amount of medication you give your dog more effectively than you can with the pills.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
my senior girl was on metacam for a couple years, I then switched to the human form meloxicalm, much cheaper, very small dosage..She was on that, plus msm, hylauronic acid, tramadol..She did really well on it, when I missed a dose I could tell..Liver/kidney function was always fine.

Each dog is different, one may be able to tolerate what another may not.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My late seniors ...Ringer, Honey and Kelly were all on Meticam during their senior years and did very well on it.

Sadly, I started Slider on Pred and will have to stop giving it to him (forget for how long but quite a while), before he can start taking Meticam.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, we've been on previcox and tramadol for a while with Midnights arthritis. The previcox does virtually nothing as there really isn't a difference between him on it or off it. My regular vet is adamant on keeping him on previcox as it is the supposed safest of the NSAIDs. Anyways, my holistic vet who also does western medicine is willing to switch NSAIDs as the previcox isn't working. He is getting accupuncture which does help and adequan that helps a lot but is on backorder. Anyways, what do you guys think of metacam? I know from experience that some dogs respond differently to different NSAIDs. Some have a marked response to rimadyl and not to deramaxx and vice versa. Midnight is also getting glucosamine chondroitin supplements, hyaluronic acid, msm, fish oil, vit e and Chinese herbs. He is on once weekly adequan and I'd due for a loading dose in July. I have enough for that thank goodness. He also gets tramadol and previcox. If I do switch the previcox, I'll do a week long flush before starting metacam. His bloods were excellent so no liver or kidney compromise. Just really checking to see if anyone has had success with metacam. I'm disappointed that previcox doesn't work, but that doesn't mean all NSAIDs won't work.
We use Metacam for our greyhound. She's only 5 but due to poor breeding she has to have the medication along with a supplement. It does wonders for her, the swelling is reduced in her ankles and she actually plays (well as much as any greyhound would :) )
I recommend it, good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! Sounds like everyone that has used it seemed to like it! I was figuring dosages and stuff as well and apparently the other vet underdosed the previcox. He has been getting a half of a 227 mg tab and that is 113 mg roughly. For his size, I figured the dosage for midnight is really closer to 131 mg. Dont really know if that will make a difference but it obviously doesn't work.
Anyways, in my quest of supplements, I did try coconut oil, but after about 4 days, he started vomiting it up after giving it. I stopped and he was fine. Don't know why he couldn't tolerate coconut oil but it was a no go. As to the metacam, my vet also suggested I could try the meloxicam tablets. The dose for Midnight would be 1/2 a 7.5 mg tablet. Since it is a 4 dollar Rx, if it doesn't work we can move on. The liquid is super expensive, but if the tabs work, I think I will switch to the liquid long term for more accurate dosing. His actual dosage I figured is 3.2mg and a half tab is 3.75mg so a little high, but I'm going to watch him super close and we are going to get an NSAID panel after he has been on it for 10 days.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Just so you are aware black tarry diarrhea are a side effect as well kidney failure which is acute...so you can do a w/u to see if safe to put on, but you cannot determine how your dog will metabolize, nor if the kidneys are in a weak state, but not so bad as to show on BW...which metacam could be the catalyst that pushes him to ill health.

A senior dog moves slower, lives w/some degree of pain (we all do as we age)...it's normal. You cannot turn a senior into a bouncy puppy with NSAIDS for you. Sorry. I am sure your dog is feeling pretty good with mild pain, just not good enough in your eyes. Let him go at his own pace

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm fully aware of the side effects of NSAIDs. That's why I waited this long to start him on them. I also know that I can't turn back time, but his limp is pretty significant without anything. I also know that kidney function has to be 75 percent lost before there is a raise in bun. The last few days have been pretty bad so if I take the risk and there is a benefit I'm going to do it at this point. He can't even walk the complex we live and has gained weight because of it though I've reduced his food intake. I'm going to hope for the best, as I've seen NSAIDs do wonders on many dogs. I also had a shepherd that got the black tarry stools on rimadyl way back when. We immediately took him off it and he was fine. It's just we've come to the point in life where I can't control the pain with supplements and nutraceuticals. We've come to the point when an NSAID is necessassary. If it shortens his overall life span by 6 months then so be it. Quality vs quantity. If it comes to the point of corticosteroid use I will end up doing that, but we aren't there yet. I'm not expecting a puppy as the result, but if it helps with the limp and groaning then it is worth it.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
It is a decision I would make at this point in time if my dog were going through this. Is the holistic vet also doing cold laser? That also seemed to help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks jocoyn! It sucks that I have to make these types of decisions, but to allow him to be in pain to protect his liver and kidneys at this point isn't working. I figure if there is a pain med that works, as long as we use it responsibly that's the best we can do. My mother has rheumatoid arthritis and the med she is on does have side effects, but she manages them and is a ton better on the medication than off. I feel that it is the same in our pets, while some pain is a normal aging process, but to allow the limp and pain to continue in the hopes to protect the other organs isn't possible anymore. He has virtually no cartilage in either hip and it is bone on bone. His knees have some arthritic changes as well as his front end. It definitely sucks! I will ask about the cold laser therapy though,at the next visit in 2 weeks. My aunt who does accupuncture had tried cold laser from a colleague and she said it actually aggravated her injury, but it is still something I will look into. Pretty much we are going to try anything short of surgery. Adequan is amazing and he is a different dog after the loading dose. Wish I could maintain a loading dose all the time.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Corticosteroid compared with hyaluronic... [J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

I know you mentioned Hyaluronic acid - but have you considered injections? I think it is called legacy (NOT sure), but in comparison to adequan it was good for the immediate but not sustainable long term whereas, adequan not so immediate, but improvement over time...so while waiting for adequan to re-stock....(?)

The link above compares steroids to HA

also this link for alt. herbs - I saw great improvement with 95% standardized extract of turmeric (curcumin)
Top 5 Herbs for Arthritis | Animal Wellness

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
A friend is using "polyglycan" injections on her dog as an alternative to adequan with good results. It isn't quite the same, but similar. I think it contains hyaluronic acid. Once my supply of adequan vanishes, it is what I will turn to for my senior. It was developed for surgical use but is often apparently used as an injectable. It is something I've just started learning about, due to the adequan shortage.

Here is the link: http://www.drugs.com/vet/polyglycan.html

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I used metacam on a greyhound mix we had at a rescue a few years ago with a broken jaw. You'd never believe that dog's jaw was wired shut. Worked fantastically for him, but I feel like it's only reserved for very intense pain- if the other pain killers aren't working, this would be my go to.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A friend is using "polyglycan" injections on her dog as an alternative to adequan with good results. It isn't quite the same, but similar. I think it contains hyaluronic acid. Once my supply of adequan vanishes, it is what I will turn to for my senior. It was developed for surgical use but is often apparently used as an injectable. It is something I've just started learning about, due to the adequan shortage.

Here is the link: Polyglycan Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

Good luck!!!

We use a generic form of adequan called chondroprotec (it looks like the picture but I know this website is talking about for a wound dressing) Hymed | CHONDROPROTEC | Topical Wound Management Dressing | Hymed Group
Our cost is about $55-60 for a whole 10 mL bottle. Not sure how it compares to brand name as I've never used that. Anyway I don't think it's on back order, we just got some bottles recently.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Ugave2012, thanks for this. I actually talked with my vet about this as one of the options recently. This clinic hasn't tried the "off-label" uses of the adequan-alternatives -- so they're trying to figure out the right one to shift clients like me to. I think they're waiting to see what other clinics do. Knowing that you're having good results of it helps!

Do you know by chance if there's any literature I can point him toward showing chondroprotec works an IM injection just like adequan?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ugave2012, thanks for this. I actually talked with my vet about this as one of the options recently. This clinic hasn't tried the "off-label" uses of the adequan-alternatives -- so they're trying to figure out the right one to shift clients like me to. I think they're waiting to see what other clinics do. Knowing that you're having good results of it helps!

Do you know by chance if there's any literature I can point him toward showing chondroprotec works an IM injection just like adequan?
No and that's because it doesn't exist. Injection is off label use for chondroprotec. No way the vast vast majority of our clients could ever afford adequan, so we take our chances with it. Never had an adverse reaction, use it IM but some use it SQ injection since it does burn going IM route and that seems to work just as well. I've been doing IM on my own dog but I'm going to switch and see if given SQ I notice any difference. There are lots of threads on VIN website about vets who have used adequan vs chondroprotec and they all say they see similar results. You can even find it online, probably with prescription, but for about $55 for a whole bottle. We sell it for about $100.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just have a small warning about drugs for arthritis. Several years ago I had a senior dog that received painkillers for arthritis. They worked great. Too great. She felt like a young active pup again and began to act like one. She was running around the house and injured herself. So she ended up going from having old age aches and pains to a spinal injury that appeared to cause her a lot of pain until the day she died. Just be careful with these drugs. Dogs don't realize that they aren't 2 even though they feel 2.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts