German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
" my ideal family would include someone who can be with me during the day"

" I like to be with my family all the time. I hope that my new family will have someone who is able to spend time with me during both the day and night, so that I’m not lonely all day just waiting for them to come home."

JMO. but those two statements lead me to believe that either this dog has serious separation anxiety or unless you have somebody home all day, this rescue is going to be tough to adopt from even if you meet that criteria.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Yup. Sounds like separation anxiety being glossed over to make her sound better for adoption.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are good thoughts. I didn't even think about that. My husband is home all day because he works nights and then we switch. I will talk to the foster mom tomorrow about him. We have already been approved by the rescue, but we want to find a good match for our family as well. I am in no rush :)

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Those are good thoughts. I didn't even think about that. My husband is home all day because he works nights and then we switch. I will talk to the foster mom tomorrow about him. We have already been approved by the rescue, but we want to find a good match for our family as well. I am in no rush :)
I am an honest person, and if I agree to a contract, it is what it is. I found this part of their contract disturbing: " This dog will be kept on a leash at all times when outside of a securely fenced-in area." I could never uphold this contract and would not adopt from this rescue.

Think about what that means if you ever go hiking, camping, to a friend's cabin, etc. A dog adopted from this shelter can never be off leash or unfenced and would have to watch any other dogs with you and your friends run at full speed, swim, chase squirrels, while your dog languishes on a chain watching. Even if there were no other dogs, your dog would not have the privilege to run and play with his family without tripping on a leash. Is this something you would want for your dog?

Do you have a yard big enough for your dog to actually get up to a full speed run without having to come to a crashing stop or sharp turn? If you don't, your dog can never get up to a full run, and German Shepherds love to run.

I understand why the rescue might have that as part of the contract, but IMO, it is not the best thing for the dog. A life well lived is better than a long life waiting to live.

Have you tried other rescues who are more dog friendly and less controlling?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry, have to agree this might be dolled up language skirting the issue of separation anxiety. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but consider if you live close to neighbors the dog may scream and howl while training is taking place (and man, can SA take a looong time to work on) and you may have some real problems with it. I once fostered a little pit bull girl (medical/kennel cough, short term) with such bad SA that wasn't disclosed she tore through a kennel and proceeded to rip the carpet out down to the subfloor, ripped the blinds down, ate the window trim off, ripped the frame off the lower door, and if you can believe it, even clawed paint off of the walls. I was gone for just a few hours. Tread lightly with a dog with SA, and go into it knowing it can be incredibly destructive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Something else that concerns me is this line:
"I really like children that are older, as they know how to hug and pet me nicely, but will also play with me."

It may be nothing, but I would be concerned about this dog NOT good with small children. To me it sounds like she may get aggressive or play very rough. (Maybe both.) I don't know where you and your husband are in your life, or if that is a big deal, but it is not something I will deal with again after our current aggressive dog dies. It is too much to worry about all of the time, and anytime the dog is in public I have to worry, you never know what a small child will do simply because they aren't old enough to know better.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Wish that rescues were more upfront in their description of dogs and not wrap it in a humanizing way. Read between the lines and I see a beautiful dog with separation anxiety who is not good with small children.
Other examples: wants to be the only dog, doesn't want to share his toys, loves to sit in your lap and give kisses all day (eek!) and then all the restrictions they lay upon you after the adoption. That's why I get my own dogs from a breeder who trusts me.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Wish that rescues were more upfront in their description of dogs and not wrap it in a humanizing way. Read between the lines and I see a beautiful dog with separation anxiety who is not good with small children.
Other examples: wants to be the only dog, doesn't want to share his toys, loves to sit in your lap and give kisses all day (eek!) and then all the restrictions they lay upon you after the adoption. That's why I get my own dogs from a breeder who trusts me.
This could be why the dog was given up in the first place.

On the other hand, I have seen rescues that will only adopt out if there is an adult home all day, no other pets, and no young children, and other somewhat extreme controlling measures. In some people's minds these things are linked to perfect homes.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
This could be why the dog was given up in the first place.

On the other hand, I have seen rescues that will only adopt out if there is an adult home all day, no other pets, and no young children, and other somewhat extreme controlling measures. In some people's minds these things are linked to perfect homes.
The reason I got my first GSD pup from a breeder was that the GSD rescue wouldn't adopt out a spayed female to me because I had an ancient 14 year old intact male dog. That risk materialized would have been more miraculous than a breeding through two crates.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
LOL! I was turned down for adoption because somebody else in the family owned an elderly intact male dog too. What does it matter as long as the dog being adopted is not intact?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to the foster mom today and luckily she was very honest with me. She said that she wished they had not put any information about him on there. He is NOT good with children, strangers(not even tolerable), or dogs of any size. She said most likely he will need to go to a single person who works from home and has no other pets. It became obvious to me that he is extremely fearful and has bad nerves. She stated that he doesn't seem to be able to handle any contact unless it is with a woman. Product of poor breeding or bad experience..I have no idea but not for us. We have a hug fenced in yard but we have 6 children and another dog so the search continues :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason I got my first GSD pup from a breeder was that the GSD rescue wouldn't adopt out a spayed female to me because I had an ancient 14 year old intact male dog. That risk materialized would have been more miraculous than a breeding through two crates.
LJ is intact and I honestly do not have any plans to neuter him. I don't see the need to, hopefully that will not effect our adoption process.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
LJ is intact and I honestly do not have any plans to neuter him. I don't see the need to, hopefully that will not effect our adoption process.
I doubt that you will get one through a rescue because of their strict policies. I don't want to be dictated by others whether I should neuter/spay my animals or not.
It is very unfortunate that he is put in such a positive light on the website, which will affect the success of his adoption.Good for the foster mom to reveal his true colors to you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really have my heart set on rescuing though. I am not sure how else to go about it :(

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Rescuing a dog in need is noble, but buying from reputable breeders helps fight backyard breeders and puppy mills so there will be fewer dogs in need of rescue. Both options accomplish similar aspects, the reduction of German Shepherds in need.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You also have the option of rescues that will adopt out of state as well. There is Westside German Shepherd Rescue of LA that WILL adopt out of state. Here's the website: Westside German Shepherd Rescue, they just don't puppies under 6 months to be adopted out of state, but puppies over that age you can. I would love to adopt from them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I spoke to the foster mom today and luckily she was very honest with me. She said that she wished they had not put any information about him on there. He is NOT good with children, strangers(not even tolerable), or dogs of any size. She said most likely he will need to go to a single person who works from home and has no other pets. It became obvious to me that he is extremely fearful and has bad nerves. She stated that he doesn't seem to be able to handle any contact unless it is with a woman. Product of poor breeding or bad experience..I have no idea but not for us. We have a hug fenced in yard but we have 6 children and another dog so the search continues :)
Geez. :eek: Thank goodness she was honest with you. The rescue is quite frankly asking for a lawsuit if they aren't more upfront when someone actually inquires about the dog. There is putting a positive spin on something, and then there is concealing the truth!

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
You also have the option of rescues that will adopt out of state as well. There is Westside German Shepherd Rescue of LA that WILL adopt out of state. Here's the website: Westside German Shepherd Rescue, they just don't puppies under 6 months to be adopted out of state, but puppies over that age you can. I would love to adopt from them.
Wow, lots of nice looking dogs there. Hmm, maybe change my puppy plans?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Rescuing a dog in need is noble, but buying from reputable breeders helps fight backyard breeders and puppy mills so there will be fewer dogs in need of rescue. Both options accomplish similar aspects, the reduction of German Shepherds in need.
I'm going to steal this word for word so next time someone decides I need to listen to their judgment for buying my dog instead of rescuing, I can answer with this and walk away or change the subject.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts