German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There aren't too many dog friendly cafes around here,but I have managed to find a couple that are good. I wanted to know if anyone has or would take their dog to one of these places? If so what have your experiences been?

I usually frequent one over the other because the staff is friendlier,and it's been a little more well planned as far as constructing the outdoor area. The staff surprisingly is very saavy,and while they are friendly towards the dogs they don't crowd them.If I am going to meet a potential adopter,I sometimes go there to talk to them. And of course just like anywhere else, you will have your owners who have well behaved dogs,and those who think their dogs are entitled to create chaos. The last time I was at this restaurant, there was a couple walking two huge Rottweilers on retractable leashes. The dogs were actually swiping food off of people's plates as they walked by:mad:.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I have not seen a dog friendly restaurant yet. I've often thought about how cool that would be...but wondered if there would be an issue with dogs eating food off peoples plates...haha now I know. I don't think Mac and Bart would try that or beg for food like some dogs do but they would want to socialize with everyone and that might be hard to stop :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have heard of a few, with most of them being in the downtown Chicago area. I would take mine if I found one that is reasonably close. None of mine beg, so I think they would just lay there and enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I've heard of one here that has a separate "doggie menu," so that you can order, for example, a plain (cooked) chicken breast or hamburger patty for the dog. They also apparently bring out a water bowl for the canine guest when they bring out the drinks for the humans. I haven't been, but when the youngest member of my pack is a wee bit more reliable with her down-stay, I'd love it!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Almost anywhere that has outside seating allows dogs here. They aren't advertised as dog restaurants, it's just allowed. Some have dog bowls for water, some will just bring a plastic container, some don't offer anything. I usually only take Mikko to quick places, like getting ice cream or pizza since he gets bored just sitting there, but he has been out for longer meals too, especially when we're traveling. We took him to a brewery in NC that actually allowed dogs inside too! That was fun and a great socializing opportunity- actually everywhere has just been a great socializing experience.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We have quite a few here and I do frequent them quite often. It's nice to go on a long hike and be able to stop for lunch with the pups on the way back. Most will provide some sort of water bowl for the dogs and I've never had an issue with unruly/rude dogs.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Several years ago they made a law here in Chicago that in order to allow dogs (outside only of course) restaurants must follow certain rules, dogs/owners must meet certain requirements and the restaurant has to purchase a special Dog Friendly Dining license. This has limited the number of pet friendly restaurants in the area although there are quite a few in Chicago with it. Before that the mayor had banned dogs from patios completely for a few years. Before he had done that it was pretty much up to the restaurants, and I went to quite a few with my previous dog back then... I've been to some places with my GSD but mostly while on vacation/trips.

I hear there was recently a vote to change the license and make it part of the regulAr restaurant license instead (no separate fee) but never heard the outcome of that.

These are the basic requirements for Chicago dog friendly dining:

Dogs may only be permitted in areas that are outside and accessible from the street.
• Dogs are not permitted to be in, or travel through, any indoor portion of the retail food establishment or in any area where food is prepared with the exemption of service animals.
• Dogs must be kept on leashes at all times.
• Dogs must bear a rabies vaccination tag or other proof of a rabies
vaccination.
• Tables and chairs at which patrons with dogs are seated shall be
cleaned and sanitized between seating of patrons.
• Dogs may not be provided any food except for water.
• Employees may not have contact with a dog.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i take my dog to restaurants, cafes, bank, post office,
bakery, stores, friends homes, local watering hole, box stores,
etc. my dog is trained so it's easy taking him places. when
i have my dog with me if he can't go in i'm not going in.
i don't leave him in the car unattended.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
There is a restaurant that I went too recently on Topsail Island NC. Every out door table at dogs at it. It wasn't really set up for dogs, kind of crowded. However, it was a very popular spot for dog owners that day. The wait staff was very kind and there were no incidences that I noticed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I drive Buddy to Madison, Indiana often to socialize. There are two restaurants in Madison's historic district with outdoor bistro tables that we eat at. I just share my food with him, but one of them makes a "side" for him (if I order a turkey pesto sandwich they bring him a side of just turkey) and a small styrofoam bowl of water. There is also a dog cookie shop called the Blue Cerebrus in that town and dogs are allowed in to sample the cookies (they also leave a large water dish out for dogs out on walks). Of course, Buddy is extremely social and well behaved, so it works.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
In my experience in Chicago, and Chicagocanine knows the actual laws, but in practice, outdoor/sidewalk seating areas that I have been to allow your dog to sit outside the rail. There is always a rail or cordoned area outside diners sit within. So you can basically sit at a table at the edge and your dog can lay on the other side of the rope/rail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts