German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don’t think it’s for me. I love my dogs but I also love that each one is different. I also think you’d be bound for disappointment- the dog may look the same and have genetic traits but nurture plays a huge role. Nothing would be worse IMO to have a dog looking like a beloved pet then being so different it ruins the memory.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
No, not for me. As most know we lost our Tess in April, but I have her full baby sister still. Couldn't have 2 dogs more different. Their soul, as for everyone is unique, utterly precious and irreplaceable. Cherish memories.

·
Super Moderator
7,913 Posts
Nope. Heebie Jeebies here too.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sounds weird and expensive. I would like to hear/read stories from people who has actually done it and lived with a cloned pet for a few years. Also I don’t know how exactly this “surrogate animal”stuff works?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds weird and expensive. I would like to hear/read stories from people who has actually done it and lived with a cloned pet for a few years. Also I don’t know how exactly this “surrogate animal”stuff works?
I wondered about that surrogate thing too

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna have to assume they keep a population of "laboratory" dogs there for the purpose of having the embryos implanted in them.

So then I wonder...in dogs, would this always result in a singleton puppy birth, never a litter? That right there would make a puppy turn out different.

And from an ethics standpoint, if I am right about the lab dogs....that's a problem for me. That's basically sacrificing one animal's life and well being in order to produce another. Not okay with me

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm gonna have to assume they keep a population of "laboratory" dogs there for the purpose of having the embryos implanted in them.

So then I wonder...in dogs, would this always result in a singleton puppy birth, never a litter? That right there would make a puppy turn out different.

And from an ethics standpoint, if I am right about the lab dogs....that's a problem for me. That's basically sacrificing one animal's life and well being in order to produce another. Not okay with me
That’s what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
For me personally, it would be to dishonor the death of the departed dog. She will belong in Heaven and no part of her DNA would stay here. For me it is exciting to explore a totally new dog/pup.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There's lots of studies showing that the mother (dam) matters more than 50% in determining puppy temperament. How she reacts to her puppies, how she plays, how she interacts with her people- that all matters, too. So if the cloned pup was raised in a sterile lab, with no exposure to a typical household, limited stimulus, and a Mom who is probably stressed, it won't even be close to the same from week 8.

Also, epigenetics are fascinating, and that plays a role too.

I've discovered it's not fair to the dog to expect him/her to act a certain way because of how she looks or her genes or pedigree. Each dog is an individual, meet them where they are and love them for who they are. Just like humans- each dog is different.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
There's lots of studies showing that the mother (dam) matters more than 50% in determining puppy temperament. How she reacts to her puppies, how she plays, how she interacts with her people- that all matters, too. So if the cloned pup was raised in a sterile lab, with no exposure to a typical household, limited stimulus, and a Mom who is probably stressed, it won't even be close to the same from week 8.
^^^That^^^ 1000 times.
As much as I appreciate the idea of cloning I don't think it's possible to reproduce the interactions a puppy had with it's dam, littermates, the breeder and the breeders family those first 8 weeks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I’ve had a mother/daughter combination for 11+ years. Both were awesome dogs with great personalities, similar looking, very attached to each other.

·
Registered
32,286 Posts
I know we aren't supposed to anthropomorphize animals, but we consider them family. Would you clone a parent, a spouse, a sibling, a child? Ew. Dogs are different because we cannot think in canine. But thinking in human, what would a cloned person think of us? Ok, dogs aren't going to think of that. But it is still beyond yuck. It is like sacrilegious. We have one chance with a critter. We don't get to do it over again. I love my critters, but I wouldn't bring them back from the dead or try to duplicate them.

·
Registered
16,220 Posts
I've said that I'd love to have another one just like my current eldest - because her biddability, temperament, drive are so outstanding. I'd take the flaws, maybe even the flaws x 2, to get the positives. But cloning doesn't necessarily work that way. I could imagine ending up with the flaws and maybe the flaws x 2 and not get the side of the package that I would really be after. So, no.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts