German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are Robyns test results. I'm dlightly concerned about one thing, just wondering if I'm right in being concerned.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Llombardo, I'll try and offer my opinion, albeit it is based only on my experience in reading blood test results over the years for a few pets (dog and cats) and trying to do some research for myself to better understand what certain test results might indicate. The monocytes are high, which might suggest an infection or inflammation? Just the fact that it is the only thing elevated seems like a good thing to me. Is Robyn exhibiting any symptoms? Was your vet concerned? There's nothing wrong with her creatinine, BUN, hematocrit, other white blood cell counts, which is good. I suppose this isn't much help, I guess bottom line, I don't think I would be concerned unless there were symptoms of something more. I'd consider this a baseline, and maybe the path forward is to recheck again and see if the levels go back down to normal.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Was this from a requested blood draw for a baseline for Robyn? Is this normal automatic testing during an annual exam? Sorry for the questions without being able to offer some feedback.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was this from a requested blood draw for a baseline for Robyn? Is this normal automatic testing during an annual exam? Sorry for the questions without being able to offer some feedback.
I do periodically take them in for blood work, especially since I started feeding raw. She is having surgery tomorrow so this was the blood work they do pre-surgery.

I was concerned about the monocytes, but stress can be a factor in that as can infection. I don't believe she has an infection of any kind and all other numbers are good. The vet sees nothing wrong with the blood work and isn't concerned. I am going to have her retested on her follow up after surgery.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I do periodically take them in for blood work, especially since I started feeding raw. She is having surgery tomorrow so this was the blood work they do pre-surgery.

I was concerned about the monocytes, but stress can be a factor in that as can infection. I don't believe she has an infection of any kind and all other numbers are good. The vet sees nothing wrong with the blood work and isn't concerned. I am going to have her retested on her follow up after surgery.
Thanks for the explanation. I just recently let my vet know that I'm feeding raw so maybe I should request a baseline.

I hope all goes smoothly for Robyn. I'm sure it will. She has the best human companion a dog could ask for. I mean this very sincerely.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the explanation. I just recently let my vet know that I'm feeding raw so maybe I should request a baseline.

I hope all goes smoothly for Robyn. I'm sure it will. She has the best human companion a dog could ask for. I mean this very sincerely.
Thank you. I just dropped her off and my stomach is in knots, I hate when they have surgery.

I think blood work is a good idea if raw fed, but I'm not sure it's a baseline. We have had 3 since starting raw, all considered normal with slightly elevated levels of three different things each time. I'm just happy with normal at this point. I do think the best results are when dog is fasted before blood work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts