German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings -

My dog Rudy passed away last weekend. Of course we are devastated. He was almost 13, but we wanted to have him longer.

When we originally got him, we were not well versed with these dogs, although we wanted a GSD because I had a mixed breed dog (probably Coyote and GSD if you can believe it), that my wife and I really loved.

We visited a place called Abbott's (you can look it up - the forum won't let me post the link, but just Google Abbott's German Shepherds, in Arizona). We had a lot of problems with Rudy when we got him, and spent a fortune in vet bills... but it was all worth it in the end. He had some parasite issues, and a lot of trouble with his skin.

I would really like to have another dog like him Rudy: A real clown, insanely smart, loyal beyond words, always trying to please us, loved to play and very active, always wanted to walk through the door before any family member, extremely protective and dedicated and obedient to his family. We did obedience, Rally, and all kinds of things together. He was a blank and silver double coated guy, and I'm told an American working line.

I called Abbott's, and they were VERY nice and extremely kind. It looks like they have upped their game since we got Rudy 13 years ago. They are actually still breeding Rudy's father's grandson.
They've put me on their waiting list, and if I can get another dog like Rudy, it would be a blessing. And let me say, from looking at their website and talking to them, it appears like they have improved their facilities and methods. When we got Rudy, they did show us the xrays of hips, and certifications.

Any thoughts on this? I just wondered what the group here might have to say. I can give the lines of the parents if someone wants them too.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I would pass for a variety of reasons. No real titles, much mash of lines. But the do health testing so that's a plus. Why did you spend so much on vet bills? If there are genetic reasons such as allergies, you might want to rethink buying one from the same lines.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the one

Yes, that's the breeder. They do have a mish mash of lines... When I spoke to them last weekend, they indicated they were breeding differently in the past, and they are veering away from say, the police dept, and more toward companion and dogs to assist people. When I bought Rudy, I think he was going to end up with the police dept, if I didn't take him.

On the vet bill, once I had the dog, I wasn't going to give him up. There was something about him that was unique, and a few vet bills seemed like a small price. Some of the feedback confirms what I was thinking. I'm really torn here.

Wow, the house really sucks now. I have one GSD that wants to be a pillow (she's my rescue GSD), and a 15 year old cat.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Rudy. He sounds like a wonderful companion.

Is this the breeder?

Abbott's German Shepherds - Dog Training, German Shepherds, The Dog Whisperer

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Here are a few things that I noted from their website:

1. Dagger Doll - got her CGC by before 2 years of age.
Mine earn their CGC between 6 months and a year.

2. Esha - touting white as a Rare coat color
It is not rare, but considered a disqualifying coat color

3. Gizella - a mix of working and show lines

4. Lady B - Tri colored, short coated, sable with refined markings
There is no such thing as Tri colored in GSD's, short coated is a normal stock coat, and a sable is a sable period.

5. Maxum - Maxum's all German linage is full of V and VA titles:V which are some of the top German Shepherds in Germany and VA that have taken top dog in their trails for tracking, bite work and obedience. Additionally, SchH 1, 2 + 3 on almost every dog on his mothers and fathers side along with KKL, IPO, Lbz, ZW, and FH.
It is very obvious with these statements that they don't have much knowledge about showing or trialing in Germany. Va and V ratings are conformation ratings, and the only thing that it has to do with trials for tracking, obedience and protection is that the dogs are required to be titled, and must have a Sch3/IPO3 to compete in the Sieger Show, where VA ratings are given. It has very little to do with their actual abilities as most of the bite work has gotten extremely poor over the years. Also to breed, the dogs are required to earn a Sch/IPO1. And KKL and Lbz are both breed survey results.

and I stopped there.

Personal Opinion... I would pass. Way too many breeding dogs, incorrect use of terms, key words used to promote sales...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Don't look for a dog like Rudy; you will never find him. Maybe you need to take your time to grieve as you cannot get him back through another pup. It is too much of a load for that puppy who will be his own unique individual and loved and respected for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts