German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with Jim for about a half hour yesterday and he seemed very knowledgeable and personable. He described his training philosophy as mostly positive, but using some "come to Jesus" meetings with the puppy if necessary.

I like this quote: "We teach you how to train your dog in drive. For example, when your dog takes off after a squirrel, that is prey drive - nothing in the world matters except getting that squirrel! Unfortunately, that includes cars, trucks, cliffs, YOU, etc. If your dog is trained in drive, he'll learn to respond in drive, and that is what will save your dog's life!" (I had trouble with this with a previous dog.)

I'm not planning on doing Schutzhund, but the web site proudly shows his success in that area.

The question is: Does it look like he is "too much" trainer for my 3 month old (and me), considering his Schutzhund and military/police dog training experience?

Cool K9's Colorado Springs Area Dog Training Home

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think they look good! If you feel comfortable with it, I would go ahead and sign up for the puppy class. Since it is a puppy class you shouldn't have to worry about it being too much for you (plus GSD puppies are so smart I'm sure yours will be surprising you before you know it). Be sure to let us know how it goes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts