German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please add to this list:) - it may help several in the future. (List format please:) It's kind of a vent on all the VERY common problems we see posted here that could have been avoided by newbies (if they'd just done some homework first:)

Thou shall not;

. Acquire GSD siblings and expect all to be well. Especially females.

. Expect an 8 week old puppy to know commands and walk well on a leash.

. Expect a healthy puppy when you see no Sire/Dam health checks.

. Require a pup to come with built in training/manners. Your responsibility.

. Adopt an adult dog unknown background & bring it into a hectic life w/kids.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thou shall not think an 8, 9 or 10 week old puppy is aggressive/dominant/alpha because it bites all the time. It is a puppy. Puppies bite. Redirect; you'll get through it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Do not expect a rescue to know your rules and develop a bond with you ten minutes after they walk through the door. It takes time.

Do not feel so sorry about the terrible things a rescue has experienced in their past that you decide the rest of their life will be unlicensed pleasure. Dogs are like children (Yes, I know this drives some people crazy but, there are similarities.) in that they do best with fair, consistent boundaries. It makes them feel safe and grounded.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm totally guilty of this one, but:

Thou shalt not fail to stop and forget the rest of life for a little bit in order to appreciate your dog.

·
Registered
22 Posts
-Thou shall not feed puppy food...straight to adult food is best.

-Thou shall not leave new puppy unsupervised in the house...crates are your best friend and will prevent a lot of disasters!

-Thou shall not have the attitude that one "type" of GSD is better than another. Each line has their own strengths and weaknesses.

·
4,492 Posts
though shalt not spend too much money on dog toys and leashes and collars and stuff...oh who am I kidding. I've seen my credit card statements.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thought of a few more today...

Thou shalt not:

-get a GSD because they're "cool" and "scary" and "they're police dogs"

-get a puppy for your puppy, because he's lonely

·
Registered
426 Posts
Though shall not take any ones negative attitude, criticism, judgement or opinion as gospel. Pick and choose what helps you. No one can see everything from where they are. To add there is way to much good going on in this forum. Don't run away.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Thou shalt not ask your breeder when to apply the prong collar or e-collar when you pick up your 8-week-old fur-ball.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Thou shalt not be surprised if your dog has explosive diarrhea after feeding it a quart of strawberry ice cream along with 6 egg Benedicts followed by a side of 6 flapjacks topped with butter, whipped cream and blueberry syrup and 4 slices of wheat toast dry ( to keep it healthy ) and a 12 cup carafe of coffee to wash it down. I'm guessing this is a pretty common mistake many a new GSD owner makes.

SuperG

1 - 20 of 60 Posts