German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday, while we were up at our ski house, my husband decided to build a jump in the backyard for both him and my 9 year old nephew to use. It was very cold, so we had all decided not to go to the mountain to ski/snowboard. My sister-in-law and I were out doing errands, while my husband hung out with our 2 children and my niece and nephew back at the house. Well, everyone is playing in the backyard, including our 2 dogs, my nephew goes off of the jump and after his landing, Thor goes running right into the path of the snowboard. The metal edge of the snowboard clipped Thor on the left rear leg. Thor runs off to continue playing with our other dog and for a couple of seconds, my husband thinks he is fine, until he sees the BLOOD. There is blood everywhere. My husband grabs Thor and is trying to get him in the house, while Thor is still trying to play because he has no clue that he his injured. Once my husband gets Thor in the house, he grabs a dishtowel and ties a tourniquet around Thor's leg to try and stop the bleeding. I get a frantic phone call from my nephew that Thor is injured and my husband has to take him to the emerg. vet, which is about 40 minutes away.

My sister-in-law and I race home (we were only about 5 minutes away) and I am panicked, because I have no idea what happened and if my nephew called and not my husband, that means that the injury is bad and my husband is trying to help Thor.

We pull into the garage and my husband is carrying Thor out and I can see there is some kind of towel wrapped around his leg. Thor gives my a look like "hmmm, this is a new experience, being carried around". My husband gets in the car with Thor and takes off, while saying, "be careful, there's a lot of blood in the house." Boy, he wasn't kidding. There is blood everywhere, which freaks me out more, because I still don't know exactly what happened. I clean up all the blood and my nephew tells me the story, which calms me a bit, because Thor was using the leg as if he didn't know he was injured, but on the other hand, I am worried that he is losing so much blood.

Well, it turns out, that Thor has a deep laceration, which almost completely severed one of the veins in his leg, hence all of the blood. The E.vet tried to repair the vein, but it was too damaged, so she ligated it and then sutured up the external laceration. As frightening as all the blood was, it turns out that Thor was very lucky because there was no ligament or tendon damage. Thor will be absolutely fine and has been walking normally since the injury happened. I followed up with our regular vet on Monday and he also said Thor will be just fine and have no issues.

While my husband was at the E.vet with Thor, there was a part of me that was very angry that he did not put the dogs in their crates before using the jump in the backyard and I was ready to tell him so when he got back. Then I saw the look on his face and knew how guilty he felt and I had to let it go. My husband felt so guilty, he just kept hugging Thor and saying how sorry he was. Thor would look at him like "uhhh great, can we play now?"

Needless to say, we and Thor were very lucky. We also realized how fortunate we are that our regular vet is part of an E.vet hospital, which is 10 minutes away and our own vet is on call there for certain cases. Being up at our ski house, we felt so far from the E.vet. My husband said that even though the drive was only 40 minutes, it felt like hours and it wasn't a place we were familiar with, so we felt like we were taking a risk. It turned out the vet was great and knows her stuff, so it is nice to feel a bit more comfortable if we ever have to go there again(let's hope we don't). She even commented what a tough, but super sweet dog he is, which is nice.

Thor is doing great and doesn't seem to believe me when I tell him he is injured. Both our dogs are getting lots of extra hugs from everyone.

I will try to post some new pics of Thor as he turned 6 months old last Thursday. Poor guy, what a crappy "birthday weekend" he had.:(

·
Registered
378 Posts
What a lucky guy...I almost feel like there is congratulations in order!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh NO!! How lucky was he?? Seems like there's been several freak accidents lately--glad he's going to be ok. Must have been a heck of a mess.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. We definitely feel very lucky.

Stosh, you are right, there have been some bizarre accidents lately with dogs on this board, as you know all too well.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Glad to hear that Thor is going to be ok!:hug:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Wow, that could have been so much worse. In your husband's defense, that was kind of a freaky accident, totally unexpected. Glad to hear Thor is going to be okay.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wow! I'm glad that Thor is going to be ok. That was really a freaky accident. He surely had luck on his side! Sounds like Thor is quite the trooper, unlike his brother, who will scream and yelp like he's dying, then limp over to us for loves when he stubs his toe!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In your husband's defense, that was kind of a freaky accident, totally unexpected.
You are right. I was definitely very stressed and while my mind was racing, I started the whole "how did this happen" train of thought. I feel very bad for my husband as he is still feeling very guilty, even though it was a bizarre freak accident.

Wolfiesmom- Thor is usually a big baby. He slipped and rolled over on one of his front paws a few weeks ago and you would have thought he had broken it. He helped for a good 3 minutes, and then laid on the floor while I rubbed his paw. He was fine, of course, but he was a total drama king. I have no idea why he handled his accident so well. I honestly wonder if a laceration doesn't hurt as much? I would think it would be horribly painful, but it seems as if Thor hasn't even noticed it at all. Very odd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts