German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on our walk today, Ris stepped on a thorn. I noticed she was limping so I stopped her and checked her right foot. I removed the thorn and we continued home. You can barely see where it penetrated her pad but I figured I should probably put some antibiotic ointment on it and wrap it just in case. But the ointment says to contact your doctor before using it on puncture wounds. So is it okay to use it or should I call the vet and find out? Of course, they're closed so I'm going to feel stupid calling them for something that's clearly a non-emergency.

What do you think?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Are you sure you got the whole thorn? I thought I did with my Z Girl (about two years ago) but she continued to limp. After vet visits and weeks of warm water betadine soaks, sure enough, more thorn was in there, deep. The soaks worked the thorn close enough to the surface that I could dig it out with a sharp pair of tweezers (yeah, she loved that.
)

Now, when there's a puncture -- however small -- and possibly something could be left behind, I do betadine soaks (betadine is an awesome disinfectant too) a couple times a day for a few days, just to be sure. A couple times, stuff has emerged from pads...thorns, a tiny piece of glass once.

Add enough betadine so that the water looks like strong tea. Then soak for 10 minutes, 2-3x per day. Water should be quite warm.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fairly certain I got the whole thorn (when I talked to our dog trainer on the phone, she suggested it could have been a sand bur). It still looked sharp, pointy, and intact when I removed it. She hasn't limped since I extracted it and is acting like her usual doofy self. I plan on keeping an eye on it jic. I did soak her foot in warm water for a bit though Ris wasn't exactly too cooperative.
I don't have any betadine in the house (actually, I had to go out and buy antibiotic ointment too).

She's still on her Tylan (antibiotic) as well, though I am doubtful that it's useful as a systemic antibiotic.
I will definately keep an eye on it and get her into the vet if I notice anything peculiar. Unfortunately (for me), Risa is extremely stoic. She never made a sound when she stepped on it and I only noticed something was off because she limped. Otherwise, I never would have known something was off!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts