German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved Thor died last night. He was not feeling well and was vomiting white mushy stuff and whimpering. I gave him some stomach easers thinking that as usual he was having one of his upset tummy nights, something he had on and off for years. He was resting quietly when I went to bed but when I woke this morning, he was lying there....gone. Freya was laying at his side.

I don't know what took him though I went online this morning to look up his symptoms. In hindsight, as best as I can determine, he may have had a case of bloat, though none of the usual causes applied with the exception of "stress"....Thor has always been an easily stressed pupper. I had thought of calling the vet last night when he was in the middle of his discomfort but aside from the hour and half drive up the beach to the vet's, there was the cost of both the vet and the gas to consider, neither of which I had enough money to cover. Then when he settled down, I thought, 'okay, if he's still uncomfortable in the morning, I'll call then, regardless of the cost'. I hated seeing him feeling so miserable.

Morning never came for Thor. I am filled with sorrow... and guilt. I feel I should have known, should have taken him whether he had settled down or not.

I loved Thor, though perhaps I was the only one who did. He was a troubled dog, full of issues dating back to his tragic puppyhood. But I cared for him, protected him, watched over him and gave him all the love I could give. And he loved me, was loyal and devoted to me, in return, knowing that he was safe with me. But I let him down. I failed him. Whether by ignorance of what was happening, or worrying too much about money, whatever....I failed him. And he died.

I don't know how to recover from this. I will have to keep going for Freya's sake. She is bereft and lost, wandering around the house, looking for Thor, looking at me with questioning eyes. We buried Thor on high ground in the yard, overlooking the pond. There are other loved pets there who will guide him across the bridge but he shouldn't have had to be there so soon. He was only 8 years old.

R.I.P. Thor, and please forgive me. I did love you so......but I let you down in the end.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Diane,
You did not let Thor down...you should stop feeling guilt.
We (most of us) are not Vets, and we aren't visioners of ones future either......
If we ran to an emergency clinic or vets office every time one of our dogs displayed any sign of illness...we would/could be there 24/7.
Bloat kills quickly & many times silently....
The horrific devil (bloat) takes many dear friends......
RIP Thor.
With sincere sympathy,
Robin

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I remember Thor's story and he was lucky to have you as his companion Diane. :hugs:
May he rest in peace.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Thor, I will be praying that you will be able to find some solace in your loss.:angel:

·
Registered
627 Posts
:hugs:I am terribly sorry about the loss of Thor.:hugs:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

I too lost a dog to bloat/GDV. It is heartbreaking. Please do not blame yourself.

Hugs to both you and Freya.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear about the passing of Thor... do not feel guilty, you provided him with a safe, happy, loving home..

·
Registered
316 Posts
So sorry about Thor. I know first hand how hard it is when a dog goes down so quickly and unexpectedly like that. It sounds like you gave him a good life so please don't beat yourself up about it. My best to you and Freya.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I am so very very sorry:( Don't blame yourself, you have gone above and beyond for him, I KNOW if you knew he was ill, you would have done something immediately,,i'ts not your fault.

I also know Thor loved you as much as you loved him, be strong for Freya, and hugs to you all.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Thor was a lucky dog and had a great life with you. You cannot run to the vet with everything. I would have acted as you did as well.

I am so sorry!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I really don't think your baby died from bloat because if it was bloat he would have been bothering you all night and you would have seen the signs even if it would have been to late to help him the signs of bloat would have let you know what it was.

We can only do our best for our beloved pets and you did that. God bless.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My condolences on your loss. And remember that hindsight is 20/20. We cannot see the future nor predict it. You made the decision based on the information you had at the time. Beating yourself up will not help matters, or make you feel better. Accept the loss, and rejoice in the time you had with him, and know that he's at peace now.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your condolences and understanding. I know some of you know what a problem child my boy was. I spoke to Animal Control at the SPCA/Manteo today as I received my annual letter today reminding me that he was labeled a "potentially dangerous dog" and to let them know if he found another home, etc. I called Rich and although he was very gentle, he said I had probably worked harder to save Thor (as much from himself as anything) than anyone else would have. Most would have put him down due to his aggression issues long ago but that I had loved him, and gave him a happy life with me. I cried so hard because it was as though he was telling me not to feel badly, Thor had been a happy boy and well loved, and he knew it. And if anyone would know, it sure was Animal Control, who knew Thor on a first name basis.

I am so sorry for your loss. I really don't think your baby died from bloat because if it was bloat he would have been bothering you all night and you would have seen the signs even if it would have been to late to help him the signs of bloat would have let you know what it was.

We can only do our best for our beloved pets and you did that. God bless.
Zayda....I might have recognized it as bloat if I had ever seen a case before but I hadn't. In all the years my family has owned dogs, we've never had a dog with bloat before. And Thor had a touchy tummy at the best of times. He was often either vomiting or having diarrhea so the only thing that seemed a bit different was that he was whimpering now and then....just so uncomfortable. I had no idea he was in pain or suffering as badly as he obviously was.

I spoke to my vet today and they said that even had I brought him up last night, the delay of treatment just due to the long drive to get there would probably have caused the same ending. Bloat is something that needs to be handled as quickly as possible, not two or three hours later. By then it's usually too late. That is probably why he "seemed" to be settling down for the night. In actuality, his entire system was shutting down.

It's a good lesson to all dog owners, esp. deep chested dogs like German Shepherds. Familiarize yourselves with bloat...what it looks like, how the dog behaves, why it's different from what might seem a 'usual tummy upset', etc. It is known to be one of the top killers of dogs and it takes such a short time to do it...you have very little time to spare.

I just wish it was a lesson I hadn't had to learn in such a horrendous way. I miss him, even with his issues, he was such a wuss, such a big baby, here at home with Freya and me.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts