German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine and my bf's 1 year anniversary is coming up pretty soon, and we've been trying to figure out what we want to do, instead of the typical dinner, movie, blah blah blah.

I asked him if he'd like to go up and visit a breeder and their dogs. I've been DYING to go up there and see them, but haven't been able to. I wanted him to come up with me so he can see them as well.

So I've pretty much already got an appointment set up to visit, and I'm SO EXCITED. :wild:
From my understanding, I'll get to see the dogs work. Tee hee, so excited! :happyboogie:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not. I'd like to have all my focus on observing the dogs, what I do or don't like in them, etc.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He knows how much dogs mean to me, and knows they're always going to be a huge part of my life. He said he wants me to be as happy as possible with my GSD when I get him/her, so he wants to go with me too. :)
I'm happy and... did I mention, EXCITED? Haha.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
He knows how much dogs mean to me, and knows they're always going to be a huge part of my life. He said he wants me to be as happy as possible with my GSD when I get him/her, so he wants to go with me too. :)
I'm happy and... did I mention, EXCITED? Haha.
Good for you! Sounds like he could be a "keeper".

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good for you! Sounds like he could be a "keeper".
I'm hoping so! Haha. Our first date was at the dog park, so he knew what he was getting into! LOL

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Is this breeder on your potential list to get a puppy from in the future?

So I've pretty much already got an appointment set up to visit, and I'm SO EXCITED. :wild:
From my understanding, I'll get to see the dogs work. Tee hee, so excited! :happyboogie:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. They're number one on my list. ;)
No livers, as I'm not really expecting to find one with everything else I want in a GSD, which is my priority over the color, but they do occasionally have long coats. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm lucky enough to get a coatie.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We went to see the breeder and it was SO AWESOME!

I expected all the dogs to pretty much ignore us, but there were two that were very social with us. Her male that we saw came out and saw me, jumped up on me and knocked me off the porch backwards. Thankfully there was a HOUSE there to catch me. LOL Very nice dog. She showed me all the dogs doing heelwork and going for their ball, along with a little obedience.
There was one female that I really liked. She was pretty much aloof with us, but she came over and let us pet her.
Their pregnant female, who's due next week, was gorgeous (despite her rolly-polly look, haha). She didn't work her too much since she's so close to her due date, but from what I saw, she was great.
Another female they have that's still pretty young, had a coat that wasn't quite a long coat, but longer than a stock coat. She was very pretty, but very aloof. I liked her a lot. (Well, I liked all the dogs, haha).
Then the last female we saw was in heat. Drive out the wazoo. Very nice, pretty girl. Chris got to play tug with her and she about dragged him down on the ground, haha. As pretty as she was, I don't know if I'd want a puppy out of her because she seemed like she'd be more dog than I could handle, but that doesn't mean her puppies would all be like that.

I liked all the dogs she had, a lot. There was only one dog, one of her males, that I didn't get to see because he's with someone else at the moment.
I think I'd be happy with a puppy from pretty much any one of them. All very nice, gorgeous dogs. Seeing how they were with their ball toy, I think they could produce a very nice flyball dog for me.
:)
:)

We were there for about two and a half hours just talking about GSDs. Was so exciting and just awesome! :D

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there might be one or two other breeders I'll go look at, but I'm not sure. Her dogs were pretty darn near perfect, as far as what I'm looking for and what I want.
She was very honest and said that she has had a few puppies (out of many) that didn't pass their OFA test. I appreciated her honesty, because no matter how much health testing is done, sometimes some pups get the short end of the stick.
She was talking to me about her guarantee, and one thing I really liked was that she won't make you give the dog back if the one you got winds up having bad hips or something. She'll give you another puppy or (I think? If I remember correctly) will refund the purchase price and you still get to keep the dog.

I just liked everything about meeting her. There wasn't anything that put me off at all or turned me off to her or the dogs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts