German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 year old, Jazz, had a lot of digestion issues up until a few months ago. He struggled with chronic diarrhea with bouts of vomiting. As a result, he was underweight.

A few months ago I put him on Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach and no problems since. He gained 10 pounds, has regular normal looking/smelling bowel movements, and they are a normal size.

He's 27"-28" tall and weighs 81 pounds. I'm happy with his weight. He looks and feels good. Happy guy and full of energy.

I feed him 6 cups of food a day. I've tried reducing this quantity but he immediately loses weight. This seems like a lot of food but as I said earlier his bowel movements are normal in every way. My female is 69 pounds and only eats 3 cups.

Does he just have a high metabolism? Do you think I'll be able to reduce the quantity of food in the future?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
My 2 year old, Jazz, had a lot of digestion issues up until a few months ago. He struggled with chronic diarrhea with bouts of vomiting. As a result, he was underweight.

A few months ago I put him on Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach and no problems since. He gained 10 pounds, has regular normal looking/smelling bowel movements, and they are a normal size.

He's 27"-28" tall and weighs 81 pounds. I'm happy with his weight. He looks and feels good. Happy guy and full of energy.

I feed him 6 cups of food a day. I've tried reducing this quantity but he immediately loses weight. This seems like a lot of food but as I said earlier his bowel movements are normal in every way. My female is 69 pounds and only eats 3 cups.

Does he just have a high metabolism? Do you think I'll be able to reduce the quantity of food in the future?
High metabolism is probably correct or based on energy level he might just need more right now. Each dog, regardless of the type of food fed may eat more or less. And he might need a higher calorie requirement.

I'm not sure of the calorie per cup .... Purina could let you know over phone. Sometimes companies will put the cups at closer to the lower calorie level needed so you don't over feed and then you just up it as needed. Does he get a lot of exercise? Angeles eats the shredded blends and the more he plays the more he eats but his weight stays good and consistent.

In the US, the website states: "The exact amount of food your dog requires will need to be adjusted according to age, activity and environment."

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
High metabolism is probably correct or based on energy level he might just need more right now. Each dog, regardless of the type of food fed may eat more or less. And he might need a higher calorie requirement.

I'm not sure of the calorie per cup .... Purina could let you know over phone. Sometimes companies will put the cups at closer to the lower calorie level needed so you don't over feed and then you just up it as needed. Does he get a lot of exercise? Angeles eats the shredded blends and the more he plays the more he eats but his weight stays good and consistent.

In the US, the website states: "The exact amount of food your dog requires will need to be adjusted according to age, activity and environment."

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply!

I checked dogfoodanalysis.com and it states the metabolizable energy is 419kcal/cup and digestible energy is 447 kcal/cup. Fat is 16%.

I'd say on average he gets 1.5-2 hours of exercise off leash. A little more on weekends.

Since health wise he's doing good now I'm thinking he might just have a high metabolism. I wish I had that problem :D

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
That is a lot of food! If he has digestive issues you can try adding some basic enzymes to his food such as prozyme. It should greatly improve the efficiency of his digestive system

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
My friend's male ate 7 cups a day for years in order to maintain weight. Dogs vary and foods vary. I have seen a wide range of feeding amounts needed to maintain a dog.

My small female is on Pro Plan at the trainers. That liitle 54lb thing eats at least 4 cups a day of it.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a lot of food! If he has digestive issues you can try adding some basic enzymes to his food such as prozyme. It should greatly improve the efficiency of his digestive system
He hasn't experienced any digestive issues since being on this food which is about 3 months now. I added enzymes in the past but they didn't help. He was just a mess at that time. This is the first time that he's ever been normal and he's on nothing but the food. If his poops were huge then I would think he's not digesting the nutrients from the food but his poops are normal size.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend's male ate 7 cups a day for years in order to maintain weight. Dogs vary and foods vary. I have seen a wide range of feeding amounts needed to maintain a dog.

My small female is on Pro Plan at the trainers. That liitle 54lb thing eats at least 4 cups a day of it.
Well that makes me feel better. I'm not the only one going through bags like underwear :D

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I like Prozyme and use it a lot. I am not sure what you mean by it didn't help. But, I would not discount the value of this supplement. The GSD, as a breed tends to lower digestive enzyme production genetically. I give it to my normal dogs.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I feel like Jack eats a lot too. He is always hungry and wanting food. He gets over 3 cups a day and is only 35lbs! If he had it his way I'm sure he'd eat more. I'm wondering if it's because he is growing plus he gets lots of excercise (training class 3-4x per week, walks and visits to parks every day, swimming, and lots of playtime inside and out!)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like Prozyme and use it a lot. I am not sure what you mean by it didn't help. But, I would not discount the value of this supplement. The GSD, as a breed tends to lower digestive enzyme production genetically. I give it to my normal dogs.
Sorry, I should have elaborated. What I meant was we saw no improvement in his digestion when he was on it versus off of it. When we put him on it we saw no difference in the size/frequency of bowel movements and he still had diarrhea. After a year of dealing with chronic diarrhea I just felt like I was wasting my money so stopped using it. We didn't try Prozyme but used HMF Powder.

HMF Powder by Genestra (60g) (NON-RETURNABLE)

If Jazz has good poops now, what type of improvement should I expect to see if I put him on Prozyme or is it the type of thing that you might not see outward signs but it's helping inside?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Might want to try NutriSource Performance or Super Performance formula- it's got a bit more fat and protein. In our stores, it seems to do well with the dogs that have digestive issues and have trouble keeping on weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts