German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG. Now, don't ya'll start laughing at me.

Genali is doing wonderful in her training. She loves to learn, and we are playing puzzle games now where I place an object on the floor in front of me and she has to figure out what the "action" is that will help her get the treat. Put your nose on the spoon. Stand on the bath towel. Put your foot in the box. It is a different action every time and she loves this game.

House training is going wonderful. She walks nicely on the leash and is learning to be gentle on my skin.

Everything is wonderful. But, she is teething. I CAN NOT keep her with enough toys. No more stuffed toys.....they MUST be "gutted". No more toys with fur.......they MUST be plucked. Rope toys MUST be shredded.

I bought her an "aggressive chewer" kong bone with a squeaker. It lasted 4 days. I bought her an "aggressive chewer" tire thing. It lasted a week. She has kong brand tennis balls that I play fetch with. I threw the ball and she crushed it on the way back to me.

I bought her a BLACK kong........the strongest one. TWO DAYS, folks. TWO DAYS.

The only toy that has lasted is an empty POM juice bottle.

WHAAT DO I DO?? OMG Toys are so expensive! She is not chewing or destroying things that are not hers, but holy cow. I am ready to give her tractor tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I've never had a power chewer like yours!Maybe find a couple of sturdy(yeah right!) toys you could stuff with food and freeze.Then rotate?Some people like lamb horns or antlers for their pups,but they are rather pricey too.I reuse beef bones and freeze them stuffed with canned dog food.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Oh, I'm laughing at ya! It's more a hysterical laughter born of shared pain.

I know many people do not advocate for Nylabones because of teeth breakage potential. I have had more than a few large dogs and so far this has not been an issue for any of them. My rottweiler turns them into shivs with dual pointed ends. So in the absence of anything else that lasts... do I risk teeth or do I risk them turning to furniture and such for blockages or splinters?

(This shepherd is the only dog I have had that has attempted furniture, too. We have sacrificed a wooden foot stool and small side table. Wood destroyed, and every screw in a neat pile on his dog bed. Travertine coffee tables have proven impervious.)

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree with Wolfy! Rollo is almost done teething and physically tiring him out made him less destructive after! (For a little while)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Planet Dog orbee balls are guaranteed... if your pup destroys them, you send the pieces back to the company (which they recycle into other toys!) and they’ll send you a new one. My dogs LOVE these. Even my power chewers have not been able to bust them right away.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I haven't had a power chewer (or maybe I have) but one of ours liked to squeeze the balls until they popped apart at the seams or just broke in half and then she wanted us to throw the broken bits. She couldn't leave them whole.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could she need more physical exercise? You got the mental games covered.
I don't think physical will stop it. In addition to our regular training, we take a walk each day, usually have a bloody good romp when I get home from work and then play bubbles. She LOVES to chase and kill bubbles. hehehehehehee.......she tries to give them the death shake! gets me everytime!

She literally will lay on the couch and doze off chewing whatever toy she hasn't destroyed......sleeping with it in her mouth.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have looked at the nylabones, but haven't gotten one yet. She has marrow bones, I stuff them with peanut butter and freeze them. She really likes this, but she can only have so much peanut butter. I tried knotting a wet dish towel and freezing it, but she shredded it.

I've been looking at some bully sticks, but they are all so thin. I have had a dog choke really bad before, so I am pretty anal about chew toys. FYI......those greenie dental chews are bad bad news. I had to pull one out of an unconscious dog several years ago.

Poor girl. I know her mouth is aching. She will sit and let me rub her gums! I actually pulled one of her baby teeth the other day. It was really lose and starting to discolor, so I was worried about decay. The tooth literally fell out of the gum. She has teething bumps that seem to bother her......she will wag her tail and moan (MOAN) in pleasure when I rub them. All of her front teeth are loose.

She has some adult teeth coming in behind a set of baby teeth that haven't fallen out yet. THey are sore, so I am watching them. Both these baby teeth are pretty loose, so surely they will come out soon. If not, I'll get the washcloth and give them a lil nudge.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll try the orbee balls.

I would love to find something that she can have in her crate, but right now I am scared to leave anything in there.

Oh, I'm laughing at ya! It's more a hysterical laughter born of shared pain.

I know many people do not advocate for Nylabones because of teeth breakage potential. I have had more than a few large dogs and so far this has not been an issue for any of them. My rottweiler turns them into shivs with dual pointed ends. So in the absence of anything else that lasts... do I risk teeth or do I risk them turning to furniture and such for blockages or splinters?

(This shepherd is the only dog I have had that has attempted furniture, too. We have sacrificed a wooden foot stool and small side table. Wood destroyed, and every screw in a neat pile on his dog bed. Travertine coffee tables have proven impervious.)

·
Registered
382 Posts
With her baby teeth falling out you're almost there! Rubbing her gums is excellent and promotes bonding. I don't have a recommendation for anything you can put on them when rubbing ... maybe someone else will chime in?

I'm sure you are already doing this, but just in case. Ice chips and ice cubes. Ice chips in your closed fist and promote "gentle" with her, rewarding by opening your fist to the ice chips when she licks your fist.

Love the training games you are doing with her. Excellent ideas.

·
Registered
506 Posts
OMG. Now, don't ya'll start laughing at me.

Genali is doing wonderful in her training. She loves to learn, and we are playing puzzle games now where I place an object on the floor in front of me and she has to figure out what the "action" is that will help her get the treat. Put your nose on the spoon. Stand on the bath towel. Put your foot in the box. It is a different action every time and she loves this game.

House training is going wonderful. She walks nicely on the leash and is learning to be gentle on my skin.

Everything is wonderful. But, she is teething. I CAN NOT keep her with enough toys. No more stuffed toys.....they MUST be "gutted". No more toys with fur.......they MUST be plucked. Rope toys MUST be shredded.

I bought her an "aggressive chewer" kong bone with a squeaker. It lasted 4 days. I bought her an "aggressive chewer" tire thing. It lasted a week. She has kong brand tennis balls that I play fetch with. I threw the ball and she crushed it on the way back to me.

I bought her a BLACK kong........the strongest one. TWO DAYS, folks. TWO DAYS.

The only toy that has lasted is an empty POM juice bottle.

WHAAT DO I DO?? OMG Toys are so expensive! She is not chewing or destroying things that are not hers, but holy cow. I am ready to give her tractor tires.
Those games are great and the basis for "free shaping". I did this with a ball driven 2 year old. I called it the "You Tell Me Game". I let him offer positions, down, sit, stand, watch etc. and rewarded whichever one I wanted at the time. He LOVED it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts