German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So took my female in to get her xrays done.... She is in heat right now and is almost 3 yrs old, so I knew they may not be the best, but I have had several people tell me the positioning is really bad what do you guys think. Should I send these in or wait when she is not in heat and have them redone and hope for better positioning.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Did you pay for that?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes =\ then I was told later by a couple people I shouldn't have. I was told the positioning was really bad pretty much they were pulling her hips out. This is only my 2nd set so I am still learning I love my vet but I think I will be looking for a new one to do my xrays.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I would go back to your vet and ask them to redo them for FREE.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
And read OFA's guidelines on positioning. They should not charge you for those. I was a victim of the same thing, and the vet then misdiagnosed Onyx as having "severe HD"....wonder how many other dogs he misdiagnosed in his 30+ yr career. I left the practice after that because none of the other vets would involve themselves to even justify his faulty vetting(he is the owner of the practice).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya the vet said her hips were good and these would probably come back at least fair to good but to have them redone when she wasn't in heat and they may come back better. When I asked about the positioning they said they took 7 and it was the best they could get..... I will most likely just find a different vet for ofa xrays =\ 2 hours to nashville probably lol

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Have them redone when she is not in heat. The heat can make hips appear looser

The positioning is bad. Was she sedated?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya they gave her some gas, and I am gonna redo them like you said when she is not in heat and hopefully positioning will be better also

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Definitely redo....I had my male done two days ago, he was sedated, and the films were beautiful.

I drove an hour and a half to get the films done

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can I find a vet that I know for sure does a good job with positioning. Is it just a trial and error thing?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Trial and error unless you're "in the know". For example, the vet I went to for Loch's OFAs was recommended to me by another GSD breeder.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are over by Paris if that helps lol. About 1 hr and 45 mins west of Nashville. And 2 hours east o Memphis.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for being so helpful everyone :p hopefully when I have them redone they will be a lot better! lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Call OFA. They will tell you the vets in your area that do them for GSDs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts