German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware, I am a NOOB to GSDS and this question might be silly but I am wondering. Why is it that they are called German Shepherd DOGS? Is there another German Shepherd that is not a dog? Or not so common that a hairy man waving a cane amongst sheep or some other kind of livestock in the German countryside should be confused with a dog? It has roused my curiosity because I cannot think of another breed where it is so commonplace to add the "dog" portion when in reference.

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
the german shepherd is the hairy man with a cane that you speak of (shepherds crook), and a german shepherd dog is, well, his dog..... because they're herding not shepherding.

that's the best I got, lol

but... there are others, Australian cattle dog, Portuguese water dog, Bernese mountain dog... ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
nah, it's a fair question... after all belgian and australian shepherds get to to just be shepherds. I once thought that it may have something to do with the GSD herding style - but I don't remember the rest of that logic.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
the german shepherd is the hairy man with a cane that you speak of (shepherds crook), and a german shepherd dog is, well, his dog..... Because they're herding not shepherding.

That's the best i got, lol

but... There are others, australian cattle dog, portuguese water dog, bernese mountain dog... ;)
lmfao

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
alas, it's simply a translation...

taken from wiki: The breed was named Deutscher Schäferhund by von Stephanitz, literally translating to "German Shepherd Dog". The breed was so named due to its original purpose of assisting shepherds in herding and protecting sheep.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the insight. Although before whenever I heard "German Shepherd" I immediately thought of the dog. Now I will think of an unshaven hermit unless the dog is added.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts