German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm getting ready to take one of my dogs out to train in an open field. I took the other out this morning. Can't handle them both off leash when the love isn't here. I need to work on some training and focus with him. What should I do? I have sit and stay while an article is being thrown. What are some other things I can work with him when it's just me and him in a big open field?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, yes. That's such a simple thing it's hard to pass up. I definitely need to work with him on that. Most people say "heel" when they want their dogs to stay beside them at their heel, I say "Close" and snap my fingers and that's like his "Come" except he just waltzes right past and then comes. I'm going armed with treats though. Okay, I'm out before daylight is gone. I'll be back with how he did. Maybe a video.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I vote come as well even if he knows it inside. Outdoors with lots of new distractions will help solidify his recall and be a gem for you in the future when you actually need it:)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have Shenzi sit stay while I walk around her (I use a training lead about 7 metres) And I will periodically drop a treat. When done, I stop randomly and tell her to 'find it' Once in awhile I'll bark a stop, and this command expects the dog to completely stop what shes doing and sit. Sit, walk 7 metres, come, half way to me, stop. Come again. We work on heeling exercises as well. If you have the money for a dumbbell, you can work on dumbbell retrieves as well. There's a lot of things you can do in an open field, put your imagination to it!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just got back, it's dark already. I wish I wouldn't have gone by myself cause there was a pervert in the near distance. His house was about 75 yards away or so and he walked within 25 yards of me and Riley and he proceeded to take a piss right there in front of me. He didn't even care to turn around. I was pretty appalled. Riley was staring it him and even gave a low growl. It was weird because I've never heard him growl like that. Anyways I kept going after that. I had a treat in my hand and kept saying his name and every time he looked at me I gave him the treat. "Come" didn't work so well as he ran past me every time. When we started playing with his toy he actually listens to me and stays. I have a video so I'll post it in this thread when I get it uploaded.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i took my pup to a wide open field... the come is still a little sketchy, he would start coming but a pile of deer crap would distract him... and i don't know what is up w/ him and deer poop <scratches head>

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh good! I was worried there for a second. If he doesn't come directly to you, try running backwards and luring him right to your toes, then have him sit for the treat

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Cute Riley! He has great restraint.
When I do formal recalls I want the dog to bring it right up to me, not decide when to.
I use one word commands, the word Bring is enough to send Karlo out and then Hier so he will come with a frontal sit. I don't want to repeat the command either. So the less words used the better.
This site is great for command words and if you clik on the word it will give a pronounciation(so have your speakers on)
Dr. P's Dog Training: Commands in Several Languages

For fun training, maybe use different commands so the dog relates formal training vs fun time!
Is Riley all GSD? I've never seen a bi-color with that type markings on the face.
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag1.htm

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep he's GSD. That's not markings on his face. It's demodex mange. I'm working on getting it cleared up. It's way better than what it was.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I wondered, but didn't want to ask!!! Hope it clears up soon! Are you giving vitamin C along with the meds to clear it?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
His dog food has V. C in it 100% of the recommended dosage. Can you buy other supplements for it? I don't mind people asking. I've had blunt out questions "What the heck is wrong with your dog!" Yes, someone at the park asked. lol. I told them.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
C helps support the immune system and I would be giving up to 2000mg(human grade) a day for a dog with mange. Just slowly introduce(upping the dosage over a weeks time) it so the gut tolerates it, and split the daily dosage between meals. You can use EsterC if the dog is over a year(it has calcium which isn't good for pups).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He's not one year yet. He will be 8 months on December 8th. What do you suggest for a pup? By the way, I LOVE your avatar picture!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Thank you on the avatar, Onyx is always in a stalking/herding mode....
Go with 500mg tablets and if you have to crush them, thats ok. One per meal and then two per meal daily for maintenance. I use the BOGO's at the grocery store for better pricing, and now that Karlo is older have been giving 1000mg of EsterC each meal(my dogs are rawfed). What kibble are you feeding?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts