German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so lately I've been concerned that my dog might not like me very much. As a puppy he was pretty aloof; never cuddly really but he did love attention and playing. He has always wanted to sleep on the floor (he's a longhair, too) and does follow me most of the time when I walk in to another room.

But I bring him everywhere with me, from the mall to the liquor store, camping, if I spend the night at anyone's house or apartment. We go kayaking, dog park, hiking in the woods and go on walks all the time. I'm a college student and currently live alone but the first 3 months I had him (He is now 6 months) I did have two roommates. We all liked him and he liked everyone.

But in the last few weeks I notice he goes up to my friends (that he knows) and is WAY happy to see them. Just a few days ago I was camping with 6 other people and him. So we were in the middle of a clearing and sleeping around the fire on tarps and in sleeping bags. He was off leash but he always sticks close. He would go up to my friends and lay with them and ask them for attention and lick their faces and stuff like that.
And then when I called him, he would go to someone like 5 feet away and ask them for affection!!! It was not my "command" call but more like my "come here little baby boy" sweet call.

But if it's just me and him he wants to be nearby but never asks for affection (which I don't encourage anyway). Like if I'm outside reading under a tree and I give him a bone, he could go anywhere, but he always lays down within 5 feet of me, USUALLY right against me, while he chews his bone.

I'm just confused by his behavior.

Oh btw over the last few months he usually stays with a friend 1 day a week while I had a clinical or a 12 hour work shift. I would always drop him off then pick him up after. Idk if that matters, he always liked the person and all my friends love him.

OHHH.... and as far as training goes I'm very positive. He is extremely well behaved, even for a puppy- I have practiced the NILIF since I got him at 7 weeks and he waits patiently when I go out doors until I tell him he can come, he waits to eat his food and is calm, he really listens exceptionally well for a 6 month old puppy. We do obedience training every day and I feel like everything we do is a behavior training exercise, constantly. We get a lot of exercise too.
I am not harsh with him as he seems pretty sensitive. He only took three weeks to be fully potty trained and I never once scolded him for the "accidents" he had.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I think he does see you as a favorite, my pup is the same way, he sleeps on the floor far away from me he won't ever come on the bed or couch if I'm on it or even go near my feet, yet he only listens to me giving the commands and follows me more than everyone in the household. He too is always excited to see new people and goes to bother them and want their attention, and stays around them until they leave, and or he gets bored of them and comes back to me.

I wouldn't worry about it, as he gets older, he'll most likely be clinging by your side. It's good though, because at least you're socializing him nicely and he loves meeting new people, and or being around people.

·
Banned
850 Posts
Dont over think it. GSDs are not lap dogs. Trust me he likes you, they show affection just by being there. He shows your friends affection because he wants them to like him and doesnt see them every day. He KNOWS you like him, and youre with him 24/7 so he doesnt need to work for your affection. Leave him with someone else for a day, when you come back he will be all over you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You say he's only 6 months, right? I wouldn't stress it at all :) My GSD is now 11 months and only very recently has become snuggly with me. I actually CRIED one night when he was just a little older than yours, wondering what had happened and why he didn't want to interact with me more than playing and training. Of course he would go right up to guests and even strangers for some pets >:) Almost overnight he just decided that snuggling is okay, and he is continuing to get lovier and lovier! My last GSD was incredibly touchy feely so I didn't understand what was happening... Give him time, he very well may come around.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
sounds like you are doing a good job.

Please remember these are not human beings.

You are doing a good job socializing this pup.

Just because the dog cozies up with a friend doesn't mean he loves you less.

Sometimes, like with toddlers, the more a person wants all the attention, the more the child finds others interesting

Be confident. Dogs are drawn to that trait.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Strange I've been feeling like this too. Thanks for thread. It helped me.

Shamar is aloof, he lays on floor no cuddles... just rambunctious. He will lick me when I first day hi after not being around for while if I call him.

I'm so used to my 2 other dogs that are love bugs. It does kinda hurt my feelings at times lol....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh thank you guys. Very reassuring.

I was concerned people might say things to the point of "Oh you're being silly/overthinking/etc. but that all was very informative and constructive.

It really makes sense that he knows I like him and just wants to make sure they do and stuff. I'll wait it out... we are also about to do that one month camping trip and I'm sure we'll bond a lot then, too.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I worried about the same thing with my boy, for a while I was concerned he had bonded better with my boyfriend. He gets sooooo excited when he sees "daddy". Doing the shepherd scream and giving my BF all of the love. Like the dog practically melts into a puddle of puppy goo when he greets my bf. I'm lucky if I get an ear cocked in my direction.

Well this past spring we were out in the woods looking for deer sheds and I twisted my ankle. My BF went ahead to go get the ATV to bring me in. We had both dogs, his and mine. Of course my pup followed him and his big "brother". After a while my boy comes crashing through the woods and plops down next to me.

Apparently once they were out of sight, my BF had to keep coaxing the dog to come along. The further they got away the more anxious the dog got. He whined and fretted then just took off (not like him at all). The signif was relieved to see the dog was with me when he got back. He was not looking forward to telling me he lost my dog lol

When push comes to shove they show their loyalty.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine was always that way when he was young, but it has changed as he's gotten older. He is a little over 4-years-old now, and definitely shows strong preference to family over strangers. I used to think he was part lab when he was younger. Now he seems more like a German Shepherd. Hopefully yours will do the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts