German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok don't laugh at me but I have to ask........does a pup know who their brothers and sisters are? I don't mean when they are born, I mean if they were away from each other for a while?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't know. They might be able to smell something familiar, but I kind of think it's the same as human siblings, where they wouldn't really know. Zeb met up with his brother a few months ago for the first time and he didn't give any signals of "hey that's my brother!" it was more "hey! there's a playmate!"

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I have no idea, but my guess is probably not.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i think they know there is some connection but beyond that i think thats as far as it goes.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I think yes. Wolfie actually met one of his brothers when we were on a walk. It was a full brother from a previous litter, so this dog was older. There was no posturing or anything that comes with 2 intact males meeting. They both put their heads down, both were whining like crazy, wagging tails, and kissing each other non stop. It seemed like they knew they were brothers. Maybe it's a familiar scent.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I heard dogs sniff each other's tushes to see if they are related? May be a wives tail but makes me wonder. Zoe knows who her bro is because we play with him every day:)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason why I am asking is because I have been putting my pup with her sister. Her sister lives in a different house and hasn't seen her sister in 6 months, anyway the first couple of times they got along great but recently my pups sister has been getting a bit aggressive with my pup? When my pup lays by her the other dog will growl or show her teeth? I also want to add that neither of them are spayed so this may have something to do with it? Oh and they are 6 months old.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The reason why I am asking is because I have been putting my pup with her sister. Her sister lives in a different house and hasn't seen her sister in 6 months, anyway the first couple of times they got along great but recently my pups sister has been getting a bit aggressive with my pup? When my pup lays by her the other dog will growl or show her teeth? I also want to add that neither of them are spayed so this may have something to do with it? Oh and they are 6 months old.
It's common for one dog to establish dominance and maybe the sister is an alpha type. That's just the way dogs are and the less dominant one usually accepts it WAY faster than his/her owners do.
When my last dog and my son's dog were puppies, my son's dog was 6 months younger but established dominance and that held for 13 years.
They still played, though. Very roughly at times but there were never any injuries.

As for my current dog, when I got her the breeder told me she was middle-of-the-pack as far as dominance/submissiveness.
She got her butt kicked and she kicked some herself. That is true in her young adult life too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts