German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt know where to put this.....just a rant really....

They had a woman running a puppy mill in Picayune,MS. She surrendered 70 puppies to the Gulfport, MS Humane Society. This makes me so angry because these puppies will probably be adopted and then what happens to the dogs that are already there??? And the story states that these are "pure bred specialty dogs" and now the Humane society is wanting to charge $150 for each puppy because they are pure bred!! What?!?! This is a very high kill rate shelter and they are trying to sell them for $150....just doesnt make sense to me.... It makes me sad and angry.

I recently adopted a dog from there and paid $70 for her. And on top of that she has hereditary mange(not their fault) and had kennel cough with an upper respitory infection. So total we have paid over $500 for her. They did not tell us any of this before adopting her, what if we were a family that couldnt afford treatment....grrr.....now I'm just venting....sorry.

Here is the story....
Puppies attract crowds of volunteers - WLOX-TV and WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
hmm...I'm torn on that one. On one hand, will they have to euthanize animals to make room? Why aren't they calling in rescues with that high amount needing placement?

On the other hand, if they charge a higher price for them, it should discourage some BYB's from snatching up the dogs to use for their purposes.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I see they are trying to get large dogs adopted out.

Check their adoption info page:
Humane Society of South Mississippi - 2615 Hwy. 49, Gulfport, MS 39501

Adoption Fees:
Dogs
Puppies (under 6 months): $100 to $150
Dogs (7 months to 5 years): $85 to $150
Primetime Pooches (5 years and older): $65 to $100
Lonely Hearts (have been in the shelter for 30+ days): $50
Adopt heartworm positive and save money while saving a life!

Adoption Fee Includes:

• Your new pet.
  • Free vet exam within 7 days of adoption.
  • Rabies vaccination for dogs & cats over 3 mos.
  • 30 days of FREE ShelterCare pet health insurance
  • Initial heartworm screening for dogs over 6 mos.
  • DA2PP vaccination for dogs, FVRCP for cats.
  • Mandatory spay or neuter of your new pet.*
  • Microchipping of your new pet with national registration.
  • FREE bag of Hill’s Science Diet food.
  • 10% OFF entire purchase in the Bow Wow Meow Boutique on day of adoption
  • A lifetime of unconditional love!
*There is a hold and spay/neuter policy for dogs, puppies, cats, kittens, and rabbits. After adoption, unaltered animals will be moved up to the first available surgery time, and the
new owner may pick them up after the pet has recovered from surgery.

-----
That's a pretty great deal.

Hopefully they can do a little screening but it doesn't sound like any of those puppies will be back in the cycle of puppy producing.

Most dogs that come from shelters have some kind of URI. The close quarters and health of the animals when they are brought in combine to make a nice germy stew.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Thanks Jean! That is a pretty good deal when it includes spay/neuter, microchipping, shots and exam.

Microchip - $30
Vet Exam - $45
Shots - $15/per with rabies - $30-$45
Heartworm - $30
Spay Neuter - $250-$300 depending on age and size of animal.

$150 is a fair price for all that is included.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
If they are upping the price just because they are purebred then personally I think that is wrong.

I dunno about the good deal Jean. I guess it would depend on area, out local shelter does almost all that..(we dont have a boutique) for 80bucks across the board.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, You are very right on that one Jax. And thanks for the info Jean.

It just rubbed me the wrong way when I first read it...one of those irritations that really get to you at first and then reality and reason sinks in......

Still makes me upset....mostly because I feel so sorry for all of those animals.:cry:

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
They have a clearly stated range so that is what they can charge. I saw that they are lowering prices for large dogs. Smaller dogs may get that price so that is what they charge.

And you are right, it goes by area, same as home prices. Where I live it is much less than other areas only an hour or two away!

·
Registered
508 Posts
That chart looks spot on with the one that the HS that I adopted my border collie from used.

You could look at it this way. The get these fancy schmancy pure bred muckety pups in, and charge the maximum, not only will that maybe discourage someone from buying aditional breeding stock, but also, it's not like this money is pure profit for the shelter, perhaps this will extend the care for the animals already at this shelter. *it's a nice thought anyway*

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That chart looks spot on with the one that the HS that I adopted my border collie from used.

You could look at it this way. The get these fancy schmancy pure bred muckety pups in, and charge the maximum, not only will that maybe discourage someone from buying aditional breeding stock, but also, it's not like this money is pure profit for the shelter, perhaps this will extend the care for the animals already at this shelter. *it's a nice thought anyway*
Amen....Hopefully you are right!!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I am okay with them upping the adoption fee. In fact I think they should up it to $200-$250. People are going to WANT those little poorly bred purebred puppies because they say AKC on them and they think they are getting a deal. They will be standing in line for them. And if the shelter can make a few extra bucks then great. Maybe next time someone dumps off their 10 year old gsd because she is not as cute as that new puppy then she will get more time and better care because the shelter asked for and got more money off those pups.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I like their "Lonely Hearts" adoption program

Jelpy and the Mesquite mafia

·
Registered
253 Posts
Our shelter charges a higher adoption fee for puppies & kittens and PBs to encourage people to consider older, mixed breed animals that are much harder to place. Kind of a "supply & demand" approach. If adoption fees for those pups are able to fund care for some of the older, mixed breed animals so that they have a better chance at a forever home, more power to them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I like their "Lonely Hearts" adoption program

Jelpy and the Mesquite mafia
I do too.

If I were running a shelter, I would give away HW+ dogs too, providing you show proof of treatment. Or perhaps a refundable deposite, to be returned upon showing reciept of treatment.

I guess this whole thing is a peat peave of mine, because all my dogs are cast offs, rescues, and adopteds. My current GSD was taken away from a bad environment. (yep, the way the srs will take kids away sometimes)

Because of the high volume of dogs in shelters, and being euthanized, I don't know why anyone would breed dogs. (or would be allowed to)

Even "reputable" breeders, will always have a precentage of puppies that don't turn out perfectly, that will possibly end up in a shelter, or euthanized right off the bat. (At least with livestock, they all get eaten, even the ugly ones.)

I think dogs in general are too cheep to obtain, and that could be another reason they end up in shelters. But I really don't know what the answer is. Charging more for them may not guarentee them any better treatment, because stupid/uncaring people can be rich too. :headbang:

So, I just try not to think about it, I don't need the ulcers.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think dogs in general are too cheep to obtain, and that could be another reason they end up in shelters. But I really don't know what the answer is. Charging more for them may not guarentee them any better treatment, because stupid/uncaring people can be rich too. :headbang:

So, I just try not to think about it, I don't need the ulcers.
I agree 100%. It breaks my heart when I think about all the mistreated animals out there.....I also try not to think about it often because I will worry myself and get all upset about it....boo...

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I don't have a problem with shelters or rescues charging more for puppies or purebreds. People will pay and then that money can go to help more animals. I think they should charge more than $150 even for purebreds/puppies because there are people who will pay it and it is still less than what breeders charge and what you'd have to pay at the vet for all that you get with the adoption.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I have never looked at it that way, that the extra money would go towards helping the dogs that are already there. There were TONS of people there adopting dogs yesterday and already this morning. 2 sides to every story. The longer I am in the dog world, the more I learn:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here is an update on the story:)

Says they adopted 96 animals. They received 70 from the puppy mill. More people already lined up today.

Ok..I'm happy now:):)

Puppies attract large crowds at humane society - WLOX-TV and WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi
The calgary humane society charges 4 times what this rescue is charging.We have gone in a few times and were kinda shocked to see that rabbits were $100 and over,cats were $375 and dogs were $475.This operation is run by the city of calgary and is not a private shelter.**** even a gerbil was $40!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sometimes a little PR goes a long ways with a shelter. A blip on the news can do a lot to boost awareness and donations. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts