German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koda is almost 3 months now and he loves to eat dirt :confused: this morning he went outside to do his duties and I found this in his poop

I'm 99% sure this is just a little creeper Koda ate from the dirt and not a worm to be worried about. What do you guys think.

Here's my little boy, because who doesn't like puppies, right?

8 Weeks

9 and a half weeks

and yesterday almost 11 weeks

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he's very cute:))

If he pooped that out, I would take it to the vet,,it does look like some kind of worm, I have no idea what kind tho..maybe others can identify it, i would think if he ate it, it wouldn't come out looking like a full fledged worm..

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Oh my, cute little Koda...you made my belly flip flop with that!

I would honestly save it & take it to the vet with Koda in tow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, he's quite the charmer! I'll probably head over to the vet soon just to be sure. It looks like the "worm" has legs though... I'm not familiar with any worms that have legs, that's why I wasn't too worried once I saw it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
He certainly is adorable!!! Looks more like a maggot of some sort? I dunno. Just wanted to say how darn cute your guy is.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

With so many different parasites out there, better let a vet look at it to make sure it's all out. Some parasites break off and remain inside. Just have him checked out for sure.

He sure is handsome.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Looks like he ate a grub. If that was the only thing you found and he's pooping normal now, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Looks like he ate a grub. If that was the only thing you found and he's pooping normal now, I wouldn't worry about it.
Ha! If you google grub that's it! So that's what they look like? My coworker is always talking about killing the grubs in her yard. lol

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I dunno...I've seen scary movies that start with creepy crawlies that look like that...

We find grubs like those in rotten tree limbs. Nasty, scary looking creatures that wood peckers go nuts for....

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not an intestinal parasite that I am familiar with, and I read 20+ fecal tests a day at work. I'd agree with grub or caterpillar. The critters you'd need to be worried about are roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapeworms. You won't usually see hooks or whips in full presence in normal stool. You can get a whole mass of roundworms, or an occasional roundworm (long and round-bodied). Tapeworms look like grains of rice and are often spotted crawling out of your dog's hind end of their own accord during pleasant naps on the couch... inherently making the nap less pleasant upon discovery.

Even though that grub is not a parasitic concern, your pup is at an age where it's a great idea to take a stool sample to the vet and have them run a fecal test to see if deworming is in order just as a matter of protocol. :)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
looks like an inch worm which is a moth caterpillar -- this did not come out in his stool - it would have been totally metabolized. more than likely he pooped where it was on the ground and stomped on it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think Koda swallowed a caterpillar :). He is adorable btw!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looks like an inch worm which is a moth caterpillar -- this did not come out in his stool - it would have been totally metabolized. more than likely he pooped where it was on the ground and stomped on it.
I witnessed it come out, pretty nasty. Thanks for all the replies, vet said Koda most likely found himself a snack.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cute pup!

I say eeew to the creepy crawler, tho. Yuck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts