German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this afternoon Shasta and i went to walk down to the mailbox. She was wearing her pack and behaving and just generally being a very good girl. The kids down the street.... well i already didnt like them. A couple of the kids are fine because they're respectful and calm and ASK before jumping someone's dog. One of the kids HAS a dog who doesnt like anyone outside the family and has bitten the kid before for how he behaves around him. This little brat decided to run straight at Shasta and JUMP in her face. Shasta is a VERY tolerant and well behaved girl and that little boy is LUCKY i yanked her back. She didnt appreciate him jumping at her or getting in her face like that. He refused to back off and leave us alone after i told him to several times. He INSISTED on petting her. Shasta doesnt like strangers touching her head. She HAS to sniff you first and approve before she's okay with it at all. Shasta and i walked as quickly as we could to get away from him and he followed us. There was another little boy who was behaving just as rudely but listened when he was told to step back. The other kids asked politely and listened when i told them to pet her back. They werent rude and obnoxious. It was a screw the dog, beware of owner situation. After i got Shasta home i went down and talked to the parents about that kids behavior and attitude in general. Needless to say he was in deep trouble. I REALLY dont like other peoples kids. And i REALLY dont like kids who refuse to listen. His behavior just about sent me yelling like a crazy woman. Shasta did good but i shouldnt have to hold her mouth shut to keep her from nipping someone. I dont blame her for feeling threatened. Someone jumps in my face too i'm gonna be defensive. I just..... unbelieveably stupid of that kid. THAT is the reason i usually take the long way to the mailbox despite my knee. just ARG! Kid is lucky Shasta is so good and was stopped before she could actually nip him. I'm not able to run otherwise we would have. Should have dragged that little brat to his door. I cant wait to be out of this base. That little brat does that rush and jump thing to all the dogs he can. hardly anyone walks down our street anymore. Had it been Riley i was walking and he'd done that Riley wouldnt have tolerated it at all. There would have been growling and barking and he just would have been a dog in a very bad mood. he has never tolerated anyone jumping in his face so that kid is VERY lucky it was Shasta instead of Riley. She's a whole lot easier to yank back. Riley lunges.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just another example of a kid who shouldnt be outside unsupervised because he NEVER pulls that BS when his parents are outside or his friends parents are outside

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I don't know much about base living, but have you talked to the Base Commander? All I know is that when my sister was living in Camp Lejuene (sp?) there were very strict rules about controlling pets and controlling your children. Granted, 30 yrs ago. This sucks, but, since you know there is a potential issue, can you take your dogs anywhere else? go to the mailbox without your dog? I know that should not be that way, but in order to avoid the problem, be proactive?

·
Registered
800 Posts
What are the parents teaching their children?! I have two grandchildren and they are NOT allow to touch strange dogs without asking first and they would never touch the dogs head, and they are only 3 and 6! You can move to my neighborhood.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know much about base living, but have you talked to the Base Commander? All I know is that when my sister was living in Camp Lejuene (sp?) there were very strict rules about controlling pets and controlling your children. Granted, 30 yrs ago. This sucks, but, since you know there is a potential issue, can you take your dogs anywhere else? go to the mailbox without your dog? I know that should not be that way, but in order to avoid the problem, be proactive?

the rules arent so strict. There is a curphew for anything under 18 and there are pet restrictions and such but that doesnt cover the issue with that brat kid. Just like the barking dog behind us, i can complain all i want at midnight when he's keeping my kids awake but nothing will be done about it unless the dog is being neglected. I usually take the long way around the block which is difficult for me right now because my knee has been acting up, so i can avoid the kids. Normally the parents down the street are out and its never an issue and if they're not out the kids arent. Today i didnt see or hear the kids and they are ALWAYS loud and screaming like someone is trying to murder them so it should have been safe but they popped out of the freaking woodwork when we got down there. and not walking Shasta is NOT an option. i can get away with it a couple times a week but she was so wound up today she needed the walk. and it was a nice day so i wasnt gonna miss it entirely either. Most people around here have absolutely no respect for anyone else and they teach their kids to have no respect for anyone else either. I've confronted a parent who's kid was sitting on his bike, middle of the road with cars trying to come and go and he started cussing at me. One of his friends showed me where he lived and when i spoke to his mom about the incident, she didnt care. Said she didnt think he needed to be respectful or to listen to anyone else. His dad was another story though. The military HERE isnt as close nit and have next to no respect for anyone around them. We cant wait to leave this base. We're due out of here in may or june but are awaiting a detachment date.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the parents teaching their children?! I have two grandchildren and they are NOT allow to touch strange dogs without asking first and they would never touch the dogs head, and they are only 3 and 6! You can move to my neighborhood.

my daughter is 3.5 and my son will be 2 in june. They know how to behave with our dogs and we've been working on how to behave with other dogs. They do very well for their ages. Shasta is fine with us because she knows us so touching her head isnt an issue. Its when other people do it univited she has issue with. beyond that you can pretty much do whatever you want to her long as someone is loving on her. She's also going through a mouthy period right now that we're working on discouraging. She wears her saddle pack when we go to check mail so she can carry the mail and she has a job to do which she loves. most of the time we're left alone because the parents tell the kids they cant pet her because she's working. My kids are always told they're not allowed to pet service dogs or dogs that are doing some sort of job service dog or not. Shasta isnt a service dog but she is doing a job and IMO therefore should not be messed with unless i invite someone to pet her. Kids who ask politely and are calm and nice about it are welcome. those who are rude and obnoxious are not welcome anywhere near me much less my dogs! Just ARG!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a kid was cussing at you?! :eek:

yup! little 11 year old thinking he was all big and bad. Didnt think so after his dad got a hold of him. He steers clear of me now because i'm the one who told his parents about his behavior. I could have easily hit him with my car instead of slamming on the breaks and yelling at him to get out of the road. kids and people around here are horrible.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
yup! little 11 year old thinking he was all big and bad. Didnt think so after his dad got a hold of him. He steers clear of me now because i'm the one who told his parents about his behavior. I could have easily hit him with my car instead of slamming on the breaks and yelling at him to get out of the road. kids and people around here are horrible.
uh yea stupid kid maybe you should have hit him with your car then he wouldn't go in the middle of the street ever again. I had one of my second graders ask another kid today " do you know what pissed off means?" I about flipped my lid I told him UH WOW that's a bad word i don't ever want to hear that again, then I left a note with his parents.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
uh yea stupid kid maybe you should have hit him with your car then he wouldn't go in the middle of the street ever again. I had one of my second graders ask another kid today " do you know what pissed off means?" I about flipped my lid I told him UH WOW that's a bad word i don't ever want to hear that again, then I left a note with his parents.

oh yeah. My husband told my daughter to do something one time when she was in trouble and she looked right at him and said "You're pissing me off daddy!" oh my husband flipped. She hasnt said anything like that since. Best we can figure it she heard one of our neighbors say it and decided it was a good thing to repeat.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
oh yeah. My husband told my daughter to do something one time when she was in trouble and she looked right at him and said "You're pissing me off daddy!" oh my husband flipped. She hasnt said anything like that since. Best we can figure it she heard one of our neighbors say it and decided it was a good thing to repeat.
oh wow!!! I bet she was busted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts