German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ranting.

But how the heck am I supposed to remember ten characters, with upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols???

What was wrong with "fluffy"?
Not enough characters, no upper case.

I was just going to make it Fluffy
Not good enough, need numbers and symbols and more characters.

But you have to have numbers and symbols:
1Fluffy
Not good enough.

(1Fluffy)
Not good enough

1Flipping_PW (or whatever other happy F-words your imagination cares to substitute)
Actually is acceptable.

Of course, if I could remember that, I wouldn't be able to type it in correctly every time.

I suppose I will just have to keep doing the forgot your password thing, cut and paste, and then change it all the time.

Just in case this post wasn't clear enough, I HATE the new password thing. Unnecessary. Ridiculous. Pain in the....

Ten characters?!? People trying to make things more secure, making people use programs or notes to remember them, and making it less secure. About right. Couldn't leave well-enough alone, so now we are going to have problems. Fluffy was just fine for over a decade.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I got so irritated on my break at work today. I tried to get on the forum on my phone like I do most days and it kept telling me my password was wrong. So after wasting my break screaming WTF at my phone, I realized we now had to change our passwords.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
No kidding. Middle of a boring class and I can't get on the forums. Irritating. Finally found my "new" password in my junkmail.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Oh come on...just get over it already. Not everything in life is going to go your way just because you can't adjust to a little itty bitty change. Seriously we are supposed to be grown ups here. Not acting like whining children. Give the admins and those running this site a break already.

End of my rant

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wish there would have been a message that went out first letting forum members know it was going to happen (maybe they did and it went to my trash but I don't think so because I monitor that too).

As for the policy change itself, I don't like it but we're going to have to get used to it. With all the sites that get hacked/high jacked these days every site you visit is going to continue to get more strict with logon credentials.

If you want to look at the positive side, this forum is the first one that I frequent that has made this move. That means they are concerned about the integrity of the site and the reputation of those posting. Imagine if, for instance, someone you regarded very highly started a post saying it was now not only ok but would actually improve the health of your GSD if you started feeding them chocolate. What if a breeder you'd been waiting on suddenly said they had a puppy available but they needed a $200 deposit immediately to hold it? All possible. One of my other frequent forums had accounts high jacked and the offenders immediately started posting bogus classified ads based on the stellar reputation of the members they were impersonating.

...how many other things do we do for our beloved GSDs? Best foods, best training, best toys, how about best forum because we're best protecting the integrity of our members?

No, I have no affiliation with the site and this is highly unlike me. I guess you caught me in a moment of positivity (thinking about my GSD, B2, does that).

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm going to do the one thing in protest that actually matters. After this post I'm off the site for at least a month. Hopefully others will join.
If people stop clicking on the site they don't get their ad dollars. I say hurt them where it counts.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh come on...just get over it already. Not everything in life is going to go your way just because you can't adjust to a little itty bitty change. Seriously we are supposed to be grown ups here. Not acting like whining children. Give the admins and those running this site a break already.

End of my rant
Why can't there be a dislike button.

·
Registered
537 Posts
People trying to make things more secure, making people use programs or notes to remember them, and making it less secure.
That would be a good point if we had financial info tied to our accounts. One of the criticisms in the initial post about this was that getting hacked wasn't a big deal because there is no financial info in our accounts. If that's true then there's no harm in jotting it down somewhere.

Sorry, I don't see the big deal. Many of my coworkers are retired missionaries in their 70s and 80s... They went from living in huts and washing their clothes in a river in a third world country to working in an office with iPhones and cloud storage. They survived, we can too.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I agree. It would be okay if you can use let's say 3 out of the 5 or 6. I Doubt I will remember mine.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
It took me 3 weeks of extensive mind numbing research and mental effort to arrive at my first password.....which was "Fluffy"...pretty much bulletproof and unbreakable. NOW....I have to come up with a new one....I was thinking of "^&5.8zQ-yy??/0)(0Rtothethird*homefry*spazmondu*with-a-twist-of-lime" but that seems so obvious.

SuperG

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
It took me 3 weeks of extensive mind numbing research and mental effort to arrive at my first password.....which was "Fluffy"...pretty much bulletproof and unbreakable. NOW....I have to come up with a new one....I was thinking of "^&5.8zQ-yy??/0)(0Rtothethird*homefry*spazmondu*with-a-twist-of-lime" but that seems so obvious.

SuperG
HEY! Thats my password on everything Guccifer3.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No big deal here, we have to change pass words at work ALL the time. The only thing I don't really understand is there isn't that much info given on us by just looking at the site for it to be stolen, if it were hacked? But still I have no problem with the new password request, whatever the owner of the site deems best I really don't feel we should complain. I don't pay anything to come on here and look around for advice or opinions. So if I don't like it, then I don't come to the site, I can't see how that will hurt the owner of the site at all; but then I am not very bright has to how this all works. So either look around and enjoy, or go to another forum. IMO

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's not a big deal ... EXCEPT that it wasn't mentioned. So I come here, couldn't log in (weird! I KNOW that's right!) ... request a reset and then go to my email and find the original email saying it was reset (and then the second one that "I" did) .. but not why.

A little explanation would have gone a long way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes there was an e-mail sent out; or at least I got one a few days ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am sorry, it may have not been an e-mail as I am not finding it. It could have just been a notice on the site; but I did see something about it before it took place and before they sent me my new password.

Z

·
0 Posts
I am furious. Apparently, the message went to an old email - like the one I used to use in 2008. I had to jump through hoops to get a password AND my user name was changed. I can't use expletives here, but use your imagination, because I am using them all.

My user name is stevenzachsmom, but you changed it to zacmac? Seriously? And you made me watch Progressive ads to get the information? This is MESSED up!!!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
It's not a big deal ... EXCEPT that it wasn't mentioned. So I come here, couldn't log in (weird! I KNOW that's right!) ... request a reset and then go to my email and find the original email saying it was reset (and then the second one that "I" did) .. but not why.

A little explanation would have gone a long way.
They had a thread on it. It's probably in the sticky section.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts