German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is spike. He is 18 weeks now. He is my first dog and I am researching and work with him alot. He is good behaved, I can't make more than 3 steps and he go after me :)). I teach him to come, sit, lay down, no, walk on the leash and without leash on my left side... Pls comment how he look and recommend what I can teach him more at this stage of his life :))

Attachments

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Good looking puppy! I also had to get creative with my current puppy, because she'd learned just about all the standard obedience commands by that age.

A few suggestions I can think of would be "place" - meaning go to your bed or pad and stay there until released; "leave it" - meaning whatever you're messing with or focused on, don't!; crawl - basically stay very low to the ground while moving forward; stay - self explanitory, but something you can improve on incrementally in terms of both distance and duration; shake or paw - meaning give me your front foot; backup - meaning walk backward; stand - meaning from a sitting or down position get on your feet; spin - also self explanatory, but fun; forward - meaning move forward slowly, not the same as come or here, it just means advance forward slowly; go out - meaning teach the dog to run out to a particular spot or object, lots of videos online that show not only what this is, but how to go about teaching it; come away - which for my dog means come back away from where you're at, but not necessarily to me; boom or bang - meaning lay flat or "play dead"; wait - which again, for my pup, means stay near me, or inside the car or house until released to proceed.

There's more I can think of, but there's a start. Of course training at that age is all about fun! Keep sessions lite and fun and short, using lots of treats and praise. Be animated and fun! It's truly amazing what these dogs are capable of! Enjoy your puppy!

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
You have already taught "no", I would make sure you also teach your dog "yes". I probably use the "yes" more than anything else with my dogs.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Yes, all is all about fun. Will research for more commands. I am really very glad that have GSD puppy and he is growing so fast that is just amazing... I am feeding him 3 times at day and taking care that he don't go overweight. Also adding AD vitamins, raw egg (twice at week), sardine (twice at week). Now he have small cat as a friend to :)). About yes command, I didn't understand right? I mean, I told him yes (bravo) when praise him. I combine verbal praise and treats when he do something right. And ignore if he make mistake... Sorry for bad english, I am from Bosnia :))

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
"Yes" is a great command that can be used for more than praise. It can be used when a dog offers behaviors on its own such as choosing not to go through a gate accidentally left open or a dog fixating on an approaching stranger but then turning to look at you. Look up marker training.

Reactions: aalleenn

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Look like I use that command naturally :)). For example when I sneak out and spike find me, I tell him bravo (yes). Also like today, I spoke on the phone and walk, he run at me and go on left side and walk with me. Today he allowed cat to drink water with him and not bark, he get another yes :))

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
can you do a favour and either post the second picture again but not side ways -- or post a picture of the dog
just standing side view on a flat surface - not in grass.

That the dog is "so in to you" is a very good thing. It makes training easy.
I like to begin with all the recall, come here , move with exercises first .
Static exercises come later .

I wouldn't put a "stay" on him now .

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Will post little bit later. Will make videos to. He mastered recall I think because when he go running to another dog or cat, I call him and he stop and come to me without mistakes. Will test more at new locations to

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here is more pictures from today... People told me that he have really big paws (they think that he will be big according paws), also one paw is half white (someone told me that it is a mistake but I don't care about that) Vet told me that he is bigger than most GSD puppies at that time and don't look fat. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Beauty! My girl is about the same age. In addition to what others have suggested, I've taught "wait" so she relaxes and doesn't charge out of the crate or through a door; less formal than her "stay". Also "right turn", "left turn" which is just one turn rather than a "spin". Check out this page for some fun with tricks: https://www.akc.org/sports/trick-dog/

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for compliments and thanks for the link. I am very glad to be on this community. In my country I almost can't speak to anyone. Most people think that I should beat my dog to have his respect or have electric collar etc. Stupid...

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I recorded this video 20 days ago. I sneak about 100m away and called him. :))
First when I called him he go at location when I was at start. Second time when I called him he already knew where I am hiding :))

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
thanks for the pictures -- what I am trying to see, which I suspected in the very first pictures you sent , was that the dog has flat feet , open toes and loose pasterns (collapsed).

you can see it in picture 2 and 3 .

I can't "see" the sideways shots well enough .

add some source of Vitamin C --- collagen initiating --- camu camu , acerola cherry, rose hip
full real vitamin C with quercetin, flavins, etc

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks very much. Will take some more pictures. Can you explain little bit more what is this that you suspecting at?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for spamming. This is video when I teaching him to walk on my left side. Pls comment his legs problems. Is his rear legs to bad? Thanks in advance.

Also, sorry for my look. Overweight and no shirt :))

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
you are very lucky --- you have a GSD with traits that aren't that easy to find anymore .

the dog shows easy trainability , guidability/bidable , a great focus on YOU , being in a partnership
with you.

there is a bit of a loosenes to his walk ---

you can help tighten the dog up by feeding a high quality clean protein source ,
adding ingredients which contribute to ligament and cartilage integrity

I have mentioned sources of nautral full complement vitamin C - CAMU CAMU
acerola cherry , rosehip powder - the soft fruits - raspberry

cartilage does not have a blood supply .

damage that is done to cartilage and tendons - happen over time , little tears
or one big event and healing takes a long time

you want to prevent inflammation

keep dog hydrated -- be reasonalbe in your exercise demands , feed a good diet
which includes anti oxidants, cartilage and ligament supportive supplements which
include glucosamine , chondroitin , MSM .

MSM -- "Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) powder may be of assistance in reducing pain and inflammation and improve the formation of cartilage and reduce wear and tear on the joint "

MSM very beneficial for many other health supportive functions .

I wouldn't do jerky repetitive games such as speedy short bursts forward and twisting repetitive returns .

I wouldn't have the dog jumping .

I think you have a great little dog . Just a bit of good care and you'll be alright.

to my eye the pup looks just right - he is in good condition , not bigger or heaier than
he should be.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks very much. From start I had giving him royal canin maxi puppy dry food. He don't like it alot. So I switched to pedigree junior vital dry food in combination with pedigree junior wet food. From yesterday I switched again to royal canin and he eat it now good. Also I am giving him raw egg twice at week and sardine to. Sometimes I am giving him large raw bones for his teeth. I am adding from yesterday c vitamin as you suggested to. Will research your suggestion to have best diet for him.

About working with him, I am doing repetitions and learning stuff 3 times at day for 5-10 min each. I am just amazed how quick he learning and how he is bonding with me. Rest of time I am walking and he follows, he running with cat and my daughter, I am playing hide and seek with him alot to. Also every day I am working on socialization with him. I am showing him new places, new people, animals... Also he have fresh water all the time. IN box fresh water is always leaking, thru all my land going fresh water like small river. He is jumping in this all the time to cool himself and drinking to.

Ps. As you can see on video, I am preparing fence on all my land here so he will be all the time safe and free. Currently at night he is in big box. This is my weekend house so we are there at summer but when winter come, he will be with us in an apartment. But ofcourse spike will visiting weekend house and will be able to have training every day because my apartment and weekend house are about 5km away so there will be no problems

Ps. his traits just amazed me because I didnt know how is possible that dog connect with me from very first day and follow me where ever I go. I am just amazed how quick learner he is. There is no anything but fun with him. That is why I am willing to make everything that is possible to give him best care that he can get.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts