German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Missing Autistic Child Spawns Virginia's Largest Manhunt - Page 1 | Survival | OutsideOnline.com

I just kept going yep, yep, yep.....this writer captured search and rescue in a real way. And most are over fast with good planning and resources but sometimes you can chalk it up to whatever, but we pray at these things.

I just teared up when I read it because it's like that. And a lot of times what finds em is just someone at the right place in the right time and whatever power you want to ascribe it to.

This reminded me of our recent search for a two year old where he was ultimately found asleep on a log over a river by a DNR fellow in a kayak or the one where a teammate found a boyscout with her dog on his first search. Right place right time and things just coming together.........

We were not involved in this search but this article can take you there. With so much autism it is also good information. We use Koester's book, too....realizing that there is statistics and then there is "what the heck?""he went how far?!?" etc.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i live in virginia and remember when it happend. It was so sad and i was shocked a happy ending came out of it! I wish they all could end this way!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Thanks for sharing this.Even though i knew the story ended well I still felt anxious reading the process. Thanks to all who go out and do this and bring all the those lost people home.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Wow, what a great story. It gave me shivers. I guess you don't realy think about missing people that may not really understand that they are missing and will hide from their searchers. The statistic about missing autistic children and drownings were eye opening.
It really is amazing the amount of time and training that goes into SAR!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These autistic kids defy everything we know about children. Time and time again their brains just work differently. There are similar issues with dementia patients as well.....and one of the problems with both is that sometimes parents (or children) don't want to admit that (a) they have a child with autism or (b) dad really should NOT have been allowed to stay in his home unsupervised and has already wandered off several times before.

God forbid if something like this happens.and you have a family member with some impariment....be up front....any information can help steer a search to a successful outcome. There is a lot of planning on a good search (and sometimes a lot of luck).

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My thoughts exactly. This is his father? He didn't think about watching the child closer? COME ON. The father needs to be slapped hard.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh gosh, these kids can disappear with a bunch of adults watching them. MY daughter has zero autism and was an escape artist at 3 years old.......I can only imagine what it is like being a parent of a child with this condition.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for posting! Quite an interesting read. We work with some handlers from a GA team occasionally that has access to autistic people to train with. Most aren't that lucky! Not surprising they waited so long to call in the searchers, but certainly frustrating. How many resources and how much time could have been saved with an early call in of a good tracking dog, or a scent discriminating area search dog? The main thing is he was found alive, and is well.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
What a gripping and educational read. It was gripping because of the well being of the boy and all those involved in the search. It was educational in the sense that it gives us a deeper insight to all that is involved in a search on any level but especially on the level this one was on.

Praise to all who gave their time to help and glory to the boy making it out alive!

·
Registered
199 Posts
My thoughts exactly. This is his father? He didn't think about watching the child closer? COME ON. The father needs to be slapped hard.
My son has Asperger's, and when he was younger he could disappear in the time it took me to pick up something I dropped on the ground. Kids on the spectrum, particularly those on the classic autism end, just aren't wired like neurotypical kids.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Wow, what an article. Thank you for sharing.. gave me chills and got me all choked up in the end. It's sad that a lot of searches get ended too soon, I hope this is a lesson in the sense that we should not give up looking. It will take resources and manpower but who knows, it could save a life. I forwarded this to a few friends.. very very good article and the details were great. Gave a very clear picture of what was going on and what a real search is like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts