German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walking in the park with the dog (obviously), couple up ahead is doing something with their 60 lb bulldog so I put him in a heel on the left side, they are also on the left but the bulldog is on his right. In a harness, with a flexi lead - you know for the most possible control over such a powerful dog.

As we approach they are throwing him treats, okay so they are training him.
And closer... "Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay"
and closer...
"STAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"
closer still... "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"

me: oh ****. heel my dog further. as we pass, my dog glances back and his bulldog lunges so fast and nips my boy in the face. As that happened, handler is laughing cackling "nehehnehehe"

You **** ass!

how is this funny? i look back and shoot him a nasty look, check my dog, gladly he is fine, and continue on. no harm done but i cursed so hard for the rest of the walk.

rant over.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Oh that sucks. Glad your boy is ok. These are the people who shouldnt have dogs or kids but seem to always have both. Poor bulldog. I wonder isnt that assualt ? Sorry you mhad t6o go through that Jae.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Were they telling their dog to stay just so you could get close enough and then they would let it attack?

·
Registered
31,709 Posts
Stupid people are everywhere.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Some people just don't get it.
Glad you both were ok.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I had a similar situation happen to me last week. Walking in the park and I've got Lucy in a heel on my right side as I always do. I like being a barrier between the two dogs since the other dog is on my left as I'm walking towards them, so i always keep her on my right.

Lady has a 50-60 pound boxer on a flexi. As I get close, the flexi line just goes like a fish on a hook. The boxer just lunges at Lucy and came very close to nipping her, but luckily I was in between the two and was able to keep her out of the dogs way.

The lady apologizes, so i don't rip into her. I just keep on moving while shaking my head. I get about 20 yards past them and all of a sudden I hear the lady screaming at the dog. "BAD DOG" "BAD DOG"! I wanted to just turn around and yell "BAD HUMAN".

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Unbelievable. Not sure what else to say that is printable here. Glad your guy is okay.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Stories like this are exactly why we don't take Diesel out. I would be the a$$ hole in the situation with the dog trying to attack. But thats the difference between a responsible owner and an irresponsible owner....

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
We were walking zeke and Berlin the other day and our neighbors little yappy dachshund mutt thing comes running up to him not leashed. Here comes the owner screaming behind him, and then her kids barely hanging on to their American bulldog on it's leash

The dachschund nips at zeke but the lady grabs him (I had picked up berlin and moved back a ways). But then my dad just lets zeke have his full 6 feet on his leash and here comes the bulldog and they get into a fight!!

Luckily we dragged them apart and they were both fine. I was SO pissed at my father though!! He is so stupid sometimes I cant even handle it! "Why didnt you have zeke tight??? He's good but you know if another dog goes after him he's going to fight back!!"

"I was just going to let him beat that other dog up. It's their fault"

?!?!?!?! Yes because a 75 lb american bulldog wouldnt hurt zeke at all!

Sorry I'm just still so mad at him. He's not allowed to touch the dogs!

When we had luther he was in the front yard tied up and chewing on a bone because our backyard was pure mud. The same neighbors had the stupid dachshund run out of their house and attack luther. What scared me was the little kids that ran into my yard after it! Luther was EXTREMELY aggressive! Thank god he had a good recall and came straight to me so I could rush him inside (I had been sitting out with him I would of never left that dog alone in the front yard)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i taught my dog "other side". it doesn't matter which side my
dog is on if i say "other side" he switches sides. this command
comes in handy when we approach another dog who's walking
on the left side of his owner and my dog is walking on my left
and we're approaching each other. "other side" works when you
want your dog to avoid something.

you noticed the dog was on a flexi lead. why didn't you try
to avoid him. when we approach other dogs i always yield.
i move over, step in front of my dog, walk in the street,
say "other side", etc. do what's necessary to avoid the other dog.

·
Registered
338 Posts
We quit

We have quit taking our girls out very often. We have a big back yard and do our training / activities there. I hate it because they love to go on walks, but after several close calls, we quit.

It makes it a little rough when we have to take the girls out. They get so excited that we spend two minutes getting them calmed down.

Our situation is bad. A subdivision in a rural area. There are moronic owners dogs, strays and a small pack of feral dogs.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I believe, the owner was training his dog. I trained my GSDs this way, but I trained them muzzled. If you want to stop your male attacking other dogs you should know what you are doing. Verbal or any other punishment works with puppies only, the adult will understand it differently. He would never be upset with his master, physical punishment makes the male even more agressive, he will place all his bitter feelings on the next victim. Males are satisfied when they attack, even if badly bitten by their adversary. The way to teach your dog out of it is to deprive him from this satisfaction until he loses his interest in attacking. The main mistake the owners do if they want to stop their dog attacking other animals - they recall when their dog has already attacked, or he is running to attack. Instead, you muzzle your dog and ask him to attack another dog on command, but selectively, then he knows it is not every time he should do it. The next step - to recall him when he is running towards other male already, or just about to approach him. To make him stop and turn back is your main goal. Repeating this exercise makes your male unwilling to approach other dogs. In the way of training he might trample down smaller dogs because he cannot injure them with his teeth, he could be badly bitten as well, but it worth teaching him this way, he will finally stop due to a new stereotype built in his box. I took the muzzle off, but my male's training took two years before he lost his interest completely. In this case it doesn't matter which side your dog was walking, the bull would attack him if his master decided so.
The owner of that dog was teaching him to attack on command selectively, probably too much fed up with ladies bursting into tears over their dead darlings.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I've had bully breed owners taunt me like that when I'm giving their poorly mannered dogs some space...but didn't really put that pattern together until I read your post and D.Taggerts last sentence.

Not sure if they're intentionally trying to encourage the dogs to attack or if a lot of them, rather then admitting they can't train the dog, like to think it's 'cool' to have a tough dog and therefore not have to deal with a twinge of conscious/ego.

Sometimes it's plain ignorance too.... A few weeks ago training with my trainer a lady had a bully breed am staff or pittie type on a harness and she very little control. We watched as she approached and the dog was yanking her forward. My trainer read the situation and said let's move away now and give her a 'win' with that dog.

Walking in the park with the dog (obviously), couple up ahead is doing something with their 60 lb bulldog so I put him in a heel on the left side, they are also on the left but the bulldog is on his right. In a harness, with a flexi lead - you know for the most possible control over such a powerful dog.

As we approach they are throwing him treats, okay so they are training him.
And closer... "Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay"
and closer...
"STAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"
closer still... "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"

me: oh ****. heel my dog further. as we pass, my dog glances back and his bulldog lunges so fast and nips my boy in the face. As that happened, handler is laughing cackling "nehehnehehe"

You **** ass!

how is this funny? i look back and shoot him a nasty look, check my dog, gladly he is fine, and continue on. no harm done but i cursed so hard for the rest of the walk.

rant over.

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
You saw trouble before it escalated I am sure. In the way they are training their dog you could see that. In a situation like that I turn around to avoid incidents like that. Your gut instinct might have warned you. Mine has never proven me wrong.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Something just seems wrong to me to use a stranger's dog for selective training. I don't know much at all about training, yet...but wouldn't this be more appropriate in a controlled environment with an experienced handler at the end of the targeted dog's leash?

Personally, if the same situation had happened to me, I would have been mighty angry.

I mean, I try to be ever vigilant when I have my Jack out and about, but what if I blinked for a minute. My Jack has never started a fight, but he has finished one and jumped into another...he would have gone right back at that aggressor. (hence the professional trainer I've hired)

Sounds like a risky training procedure if you ask me.

·
Registered
665 Posts
you noticed the dog was on a flexi lead. why didn't you try
to avoid him. when we approach other dogs i always yield.
i move over, step in front of my dog, walk in the street,
say "other side", etc. do what's necessary to avoid the other dog.

My thoughts exactly. Sure, the other owner was dumb. But you had enough clues to avoid this. Flex lead? Harness? "STAYYYY?" When I see this I give them wide berth, problem solved.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
i believe, the owner was training his dog. I trained my gsds this way, but i trained them muzzled. If you want to stop your male attacking other dogs you should know what you are doing. Verbal or any other punishment works with puppies only, the adult will understand it differently. He would never be upset with his master, physical punishment makes the male even more agressive, he will place all his bitter feelings on the next victim. Males are satisfied when they attack, even if badly bitten by their adversary. The way to teach your dog out of it is to deprive him from this satisfaction until he loses his interest in attacking. The main mistake the owners do if they want to stop their dog attacking other animals - they recall when their dog has already attacked, or he is running to attack. Instead, you muzzle your dog and ask him to attack another dog on command, but selectively, then he knows it is not every time he should do it. The next step - to recall him when he is running towards other male already, or just about to approach him. To make him stop and turn back is your main goal. Repeating this exercise makes your male unwilling to approach other dogs. In the way of training he might trample down smaller dogs because he cannot injure them with his teeth, he could be badly bitten as well, but it worth teaching him this way, he will finally stop due to a new stereotype built in his box. I took the muzzle off, but my male's training took two years before he lost his interest completely. In this case it doesn't matter which side your dog was walking, the bull would attack him if his master decided so.
The owner of that dog was teaching him to attack on command selectively, probably too much fed up with ladies bursting into tears over their dead darlings.
huh?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts