German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the old guy, Grim has been through the mill

• He knocked out all his upper front teeth in the spring of 2011 (I think)
  • He got an enlarged spleen in September (since resolved)
  • Neutered for an enlarged prostate in October
  • Broke his front toe in Nov (clean through)
  • And caught his rear foot in a fence and tore some skin last week.
All seemed wll but the foot got infected (it went from fine to swollen and oozy overnight!) and he is now on a serious course of antibiotics.

We are slated to take our NAPWDA re-cert Fri, Sat, Sun (the team is bringing in an evaluator and we don't bring in the one in Charleston, because we sometimes have mutual aid searches with her team so-best to go with one of the others.) -- otherwise you have to go to one of the few week-long seminars.

Team want all the dogs up on NAPWDA because of the variety of cadaver problems in that cert, and our team is requiring all the SAR dogs to cert through them in addition to our internal certs. (Actually Grim is certified through IPWDA-Advanced until the end of 2012)--the other consideration, too, was I was hoping to ceritfy Beau by the end of the year but two dogs/one seminar - it does not work that way. Two weeks at NAPWDA seminars, eeeeek!

Oy Veh! I am not sure I want to test him if he is not 100% as there is a higher risk of a failed cert if he is hurting and he has never failed a cert. The vet seems to think he will be much better but NOT 100% by Friday.

Well I can't get into photobucket from my work computer but I did take some pictures which I will save as well as documentation of the injury and then clearance when he goes back to the vet for recheck.

I am hoping to keep him going for awhile -- particularly for the detail work which can be more tedious and complex (actually all of our operational dogs are 8-9 right now, but 2, 2 year olds hope to ceritify this weekend, and Beau is in the wings for the Fall...the other 8/9 year old dogs went this Fall to a seminar when Grim was down with the neuter...Ack Ack Ack.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My goodness this poor guy has really been through the mill...but I'm sure still eager to do his job!

How old is he?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Jocoyn, don't know if this is accurate or not but I have heard that dogs on high antibiotics will have difficulty with scent work - up to two weeks after last treatment . Not the pain, but the destruction of beneficial bacteria in the nose.
Carmen

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not really worried about scenting ability. Just if the dog is in pain. He never carried his foot up when he broke the toe on the other foot, just limped a little.

You know they want to work so bad they will work through it. I should document what she gave though; it was an injection, not oral with twice daily betadine soaks.

He will be 9 in August....this has just been his year for issues. He has had none until now.

I guess we have to play it by ear. Dogs are pretty good about masking pain and we will have high hides (where he usually walks on his back legs while pinpointing) and a rubble pile. She said for the water problem I would need to do a betadine scrub and soak right after.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This was the damage. Poor old guy - I know when he hurts because he wants to curl up on the sofa with me when he does. He is pretty stoic -- but he is sure hurting today.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
jocoyn are you spraying the injury with lanacain . This will help sooth and keep the area clean. That is nasty looking . hope he mends quickly and well
Carmen

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No she has me doing twice daily with diluted betadine for 10 minutes. He has some tramadol which I am giving him

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the tramadol is helping him feel better. I let him out to go potty and he ran on three legs to his big orbee ball and brought it in. Surprised how well he could move on three.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We just got back and passed our recertification test....with beatadine washes and bandage changes between scenarios....phew....that makes for a long weekend

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
congrats !!! sounds like it was a long weekend! but a good one:)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am blessed with a far better dog than I am handler. We had two "close calls" both my fault - but he made the right choice in spite of me. The first high hide in the woods was a bit hard and I think because his foot was hurting at that point from working through some briars and it was red and irriated that night. The high hide in the building though yesterday was a peice of cake as he walked around the corner of the room on his back legs is usually a dead giveaway.

These tests are so humbling! I have learned so much each time I went and got some good advice on Beau who has gone into "teenage" phase and is very headstrong. Not bad, definitely no signs of agression, just very strong now and is ready for serious obedience training - he is very strong and all of a sudden now he is pulling on the leash despite all our early loose leash walking....so he gets the pinch and I have to do a lot of motivational heeling training. He will be very different from Grim. Grim is very handler soft. I do not believe Beau will be that way even though he is very interactive.

We worked on boxes (I have not started indication training) and after the third pass the Master trainer said to walk away then let him loose. He searched for, found the correct box and sat and stared at it without any prompting. This was his very first time we have started to ask for a trained response.

I am defilnitely going to do ONLY primary reward training on him from a box or wall until he is solid on indication. One teammate has a BSD and we are planning to put together our resources to build our own Herstick wall. In the meanwhile my other scentwork will be balls hidden with odor.....he is working scent nicely......but primarily the time has come to focus the beast on obedience and control. (I can't say little anymore - at 6 months he is really bulking up already).....

I finally turned around this weekend realizing we have upped the ante with this new group of dogs (the two others who certified are two and this is their first cert) and see why obedience control is so important. We will set a target of certifying Beau by Next January or so.

So now my past comments on "too much obedience is bad for a SAR dog" I recant. I think not if the dog truly has the drive to do the job.......

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I am defilnitely going to do ONLY primary reward training on him from a box or wall until he is solid on indication. One teammate has a BSD and we are planning to put together our resources to build our own Herstick wall. In the meanwhile my other scentwork will be balls hidden with odor.....he is working scent nicely......but primarily the time has come to focus the beast on obedience and control. (I can't say little anymore - at 6 months he is really bulking up already).....

Well, you have to be careful with that.:) I have all of the BISD equipment,walls,boxes yadda yadda. You cannot work a dog for a long time using a scented reward or you will have heck getting the dog off of it. You can set up scent exercises with your dog in realistic settings and demand the smae commitment to source. Trust me,getting the dog off of that ball is not pretty.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reward toy itself is not scented - just hidden with the source - but mainly I will be doing very little hunting until the indication is solid. Just a few hides a week - My main focus right now will be obedience and indication training.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
OK. that is worse. You are training the dog to find the target odor AND the ball and rewarding the dog for it. This procedure is ONLY done for imprinting purposes. If this continues when you remove the ball from the equation,the dog will not recognize the single odor without prompting. Trust me.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Also, the reason we scent the reward is to minimize THAT odor as much as possible and along with this we use a source in enough quantity that it also minimizes/overwhelms the odor of the reward. Since dogs scent discriminate,the ultimate removal of the reward will present a different scent picture to the dog and you will have to extensively proof the dog off of that reward.
Some vendors out there go ahead and train a dog to search for and alert on the reward only. Whomever buys that dog has heck getting the dog off of that reward. Just FYI:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts