German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this doesn't go here, but I have to rant.

I'm pretty much used to people asking what kind of mix Ozzy is now, then doubting me when I tell them he's PB.

BUT, both my mom and my boyfriend's mom thinks that he's a mix. My boyfriend's mom really doesn't think he's a Pom.
He just has to grow his fur out. He has the face of a Pom. He has the tail of a Pom. Yes, he's leggier than most Poms, but he's also in his lanky puppy stage. He hasn't filled out. He's bigger than some full grown Poms I've seen, but his parents were both on the larger side. I saw Momma and she was probably between 10-15 lbs.

It's just annoying that people I know and love don't believe me when I tell them that he's a PB. My bf's mom doesn't think they come in chocolate, period. I guess I have to wait a few more months for his fur to grow out before they believe me.

Even if he was a mutt, I wouldn't love him any less. I'm just irritated with them. He's my dog, don't try to tell me what he is. I know what he is!

·
Registered
32,021 Posts
Instead of getting upset, why don't you just smile and answer...

"Great Dane"

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My friend has a black & white Pom and she gets comments all the time asking what kind of dog it is and what it's mixed with. It looks just like her red Pom just a different color and people still dont get it. :rolleyes:

I always get asked if my black GSD is a black Lab! :mad: I cannot stand it! He looks nothing like a Lab! I also get the comments "there is no way he is a GSD, they dont come in that color". Whatever!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Instead of getting upset, why don't you just smile and answer...

"Great Dane"
This made me think of the other night. lol My mom's friend has 3 Great Danes. My friend (her son) kept calling Ozzy a rat. I said, "Well, he listens better and is well behaved, unlike your 3 horses." He shut up. Hahaha.

But I hate people trying to tell me what he is. It's one thing with Sania, because even I'm curious. She sometimes looks like a PB lab, but sometimes I wonder if she has hound or something in her.
But calling a GSD a lab? Wow. :eek:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
This made me think of the other night. lol My mom's friend has 3 Great Danes. My friend (her son) kept calling Ozzy a rat. I said, "Well, he listens better and is well behaved, unlike your 3 horses." He shut up. Hahaha.

But I hate people trying to tell me what he is. It's one thing with Sania, because even I'm curious. She sometimes looks like a PB lab, but sometimes I wonder if she has hound or something in her.
But calling a GSD a lab? Wow. :eek:
Exactly! My GSD is bigger than a Lab, he has longer hair, a bushy long tail and tall ears!

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's just annoying that people I know and love don't believe me when I tell them that he's a PB. My bf's mom doesn't think they come in chocolate, period. I guess I have to wait a few more months for his fur to grow out before they believe me.

Even if he was a mutt, I wouldn't love him any less. I'm just irritated with them. He's my dog, don't try to tell me what he is. I know what he is!
Those are the kind of people who know just enough to make themselves look stupid. They get exposure to a couple dogs here and there, in a couple different colors, to make them think they know EVERYTHING.

I get the same type thing all the time working in a hospital as a nurse. Some of my family will say things sometimes about diseases or medications, and be so sure they are right! yeah.....theyre wrong. I feel you, it's frustrating.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I was actually going to PM you and ask about Ozzy. I've met a few poms, but only older ones and I wasn't sure if he was mixed or if they generally have strange hair until they mature/grow out. I was just confused by his coat, but I can understand why.

I suppose most people are used to all small dogs being mixes, and I'm sure most people don't know dogs go through a "lanky" phase, either. :p

My grandpa's pom is 13lbs, I didn't think he was bigger than most I've seen. How big are they generally?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to AKC, they should be between 4 and 7 lbs. A lot of BYBs breed undersized dogs because a lot of people want more of a purse dog. There's one breeder out here that charges up to $3,000 for their pups that don't get over 2 lbs. as adults. :/

His coat is what throws a lot of people off. He was poofy when he was small, but as he grew, his fur didn't grow with him. lol I say, give him about 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
If I have it right, correct me if I'm wrong Konotashi, their hair is a little long and somewhat wirey until they get their adult coat in. My friends black/white one had some long hairs as a puppy.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
When you have an out-of-standard dog, a lot of people won't recognize your dog as their breed. Kinda like the longhaired Shepherds, no one believes they are really a purebred.
My previous dog was a Golden Retriever but she was more of the field/hunting type rather than show, meaning she was not as big boned/wide as the show type and had less of a showy coat. She was also dark red which is pretty common for the field type. People would always mistake her for an Irish Setter, to the point where if someone actually recognized her as a Golden I was surprised!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's not really out of the standard, aside from his size. His color isn't the 'norm' though. He's a puppy and has to finish growing, particularly his fur.

I read somewhere that a lot of pups that go through the transition from their puppy coat to their adult coat don't go through the 'puppy uglies.' So Ozzy didn't have a whole lot of random tufts of long hair. It's getting longer, though.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think Ozzy is very handsome! I know he is a Pom just with one look. :D Don't let other people drag you down. I have a blk GSD 8 months old people ask me if he is a wolf? I'am like really a wolf? I laugh and walk off I don't even correct them. Dumb questions get dumb answer is what my dad taught me! LOL (not my fault you know your dog breeds)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Ozzy's a pretty little dude, don't let other people's comments bother you! Over the years I've had "discussions" with people about my WGSDs, especially the ones with long hair ... I just ignore the people who insist that GSDs aren't white or have long long hair!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a Beagle who is not a standard color and people who are dumb want to know what mix she is. She looks kinda like snoopy in color. The whole litter was standard color except her. One of the many reasons I picked her, next to her exceptional temperment.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
When you have an out-of-standard dog, a lot of people won't recognize your dog as their breed. Kinda like the longhaired Shepherds, no one believes they are really a purebred.
My previous dog was a Golden Retriever but she was more of the field/hunting type rather than show, meaning she was not as big boned/wide as the show type and had less of a showy coat. She was also dark red which is pretty common for the field type. People would always mistake her for an Irish Setter, to the point where if someone actually recognized her as a Golden I was surprised!
I just learned something new...I used to have a golden who looked exactly how you just discribed yours...I would get the same thing ALL the time as well as asking if she was mixed (she wasen't) thanks for the lesson!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
yeah i cant stand when people look at Shasta and Shelby and ask what they're mixed with. I'm like WTF?! Shasta is supposedly mixed with wolf and husky according to some but she's a PB sable. Shelby is a classic black and tan but somehow she's mixed with lab. Those who actually flat out say thats a nice looking shepherd are the ones who shock me. They also usually ask if they come in any other colors. Had one guy bring his kids trick or treating. They have a solid white GSD. Told him i wanted a solid black. He was amazed they came in solid black but is now very excited and looking into it. Open minded people are the ones who surprise me the most. I know i have PBs and if someone is dumb enough to argue i have great difficulty resisting the urge to go off on them about how ignorant they are. If it was their dog then fine whatever but you dont argue with people about what kind of dog they have!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
LOL. Try having a pure bred coated GSD....gee is your german shepherd mixed with? A Collie? But he/she looks just like a German Shepherd?....

then it is fun teaching them about genetics and coated GSDs and the history of the coated gene.

The long coat gene has been around as long as GSDs have been around. It is a variation and in Germany if the undercoat is in place, it is no longer considered a fault since the only reason it was a fault was it was through they did not have undercoats.

My boy Romeo has 6 siblings, 5 of which are standard coat and one brother who is long coat also.

Mom and Dad are standard coat, both carrying the coated recessive gene.

About 25% of a litter from parents carrying the gene will be coated.

One parent carries the gene? No long coats will pop out.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
People ask me what Balto is "mixed" with all the time. Why can't they just ask what breed a dog is?

because that would make sense. . . and people are PITAs.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would say, your right he is a mix, he's a german shepherd /pom and I got him downsized:) That should give them something to think about:))

1 - 20 of 51 Posts