German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife loves him and he is not what I expected as far as drive and puppy energy he is very well mannered he loves my wife so much I'm all ready a little jealous she has a pace maker and Dakota looked at her chest did a few head tilts then licked the scare and just played in her lap and he stays with her I couldn't be more happy notice the floppy ear what do you think he is only 4 month old

Attachments

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Congratulations! He's a beauty!

FYI- Sections of the Spokane river are being treated this time of year for invasive aquatic plants. To my knowledge it's sections of Riverside state park and down stream to long lake. The contractor posts flyers prior to treatment at River access points, just FYI. Wa dept of ecology would have more info on this if you have questions. I've called them in the past and they're pretty good about returning calls.

·
Registered
421 Posts
He is wonderful! Hopefully he will not become another high-drive clone (those dogs are a dime a dozen and great for people who want that), but will remain a sweet sensitive dog. If your wife needs a service dog, he might work out for that. A puppy who behaves like Dakota is rare and very special. You are very lucky to have him, and you made a great choice.

Who is his breeder?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
What a handsome pup! High drive dogs ARE great dogs and have excellent off switches and many double as sweet, sensitive dogs. And talk about well mannered? Unless I have my dogs in traffic, I don't even leash them until they are over a year old. Workingline dogs bring a lot of good things genetically to the table, it is up the the owner to enhance or suppress the traits to suit their lifestyles. It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right. Don't let those unfamiliar with or incapable of handling a workingline intimidate you into thinking a good workingline dog is less than desirable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks every body about his drive he had his last vet visit the day I picked him up last buster and rabies shot I totaly forgot about that. That might be why he's a little slugish. As for breeder he doesn't have a web site but his dogs are amazing if you live around the panhandle of Idaho and are looking for a high quality German Shepherd I can give you his contact info

·
Registered
421 Posts
As for breeder he doesn't have a web site but his dogs are amazing if you live around the panhandle of Idaho and are looking for a high quality German Shepherd I can give you his contact info
Would you be kind enough to send me a private message with this info?

As for "drive," you can read lots of posts here from frantic folks with a "high drive" puppy who is mauling everyone in the household bloody, only to be told that this kind of landsharking is totally normal for working lines and if they didn't want to deal with that they should not have gotten a working lines puppy. You and your wife would not have been happy if Dakota had started mauling you and her bloody. You are very lucky to have such a superpuppy. Some folks here will try to make you unhappy or disappointed in him because he is not "high drive." I hope you don't fall for that. Dakota is truly special, and I hope you and your wife never lose sight of how special he is.

Thanks every body about his drive he had his last vet visit the day I picked him up last buster and rabies shot I totaly forgot about that. That might be why he's a little slugish
Alas, see how someone has already made apologetic about Dakota? His response to your wife was awesome. He didn't act that way because he's "sluggish." I can find a landshark puppy in about 10 minutes. Finding a pup like Dakota would take months.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I don't think one should confuse a high drive dog with a bitey puppy whose owners do little to nothing to correct the problem. Sometimes they even inadvertently encourage it. High drive does NOT equal a bitey, out of control puppy. Most of my dogs were high drive and I seldom had to hand out a correction for landsharking and when I did, usually once was enough, never more than twice. Don't blame the puppy for owner incompetence. I just brought home a WL Belgian Malinois pup two days ago and she has yet to put her mouth on me or even the cat. They way I hear it, Mals are supposed to be high drive workingline GSDs turned up to 11. I'm waiting.

I once had a low drive GSD. I never had to train her not to do anything because she simply never did anything. By the time she was a year old, everybody thought she was a very old dog. I found her a more appropriate home with an elderly, recently widowed woman. It was a perfect match.

Don't feel disappointed by your pup's lack of drive. Sometimes they don't turn on until a bit older.

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
421 Posts
I found her a more appropriate home with an elderly, recently widowed woman. It was a perfect match.
Exactly. As I tell my dog training clients, the right match is everything. A high drive GSD is not what Dakota's family was looking for. Dakota's sensitivity to the wife's medical issues is a rare and wonderful characteristic. Would he make a good police or military dog? Probably not, and that's not what his family needs. There are plenty of awesome GSDs that do make good police and military dogs. As I've said before, the reason the GSD is such a magnificent breed is because it contains lines that do so many different things so well--guide dog, other service dog, therapy dog, herding dog, police dog, military dog, personal protection dog, drug detection dog, search and rescue dog. No one should be pressured into becoming apologetic about their splendid GSD just because their dog doesn't have the traits someone else wants. Dakota's owner has gone from "I couldn't be more happy" to apologetically describing his wonderful GSD pup as "sluggish." Nice work, folks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Dakota couldn't be a more perfect fit for my wife and I and yes I know that will change as he gets older but he is so easy to train in just the 22 hours I have had him he is the best thing that has happened for us in a lonnnnnng time

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well Dakota couldn't be a more perfect fit for my wife and I and yes I know that will change as he gets older but he is so easy to train in just the 22 hours I have had him he is the best thing that has happened for us in a lonnnnnng time
Bravo! Good for you! Please don't ever let anyone convince you otherwise. And please post lots of pics if you have time--Dakota is drop dead gorgeous.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Luke, I beyond happy you found such a good pup that fits you and your wife so well. I was probably the biggest naysayer on you getting a pup, and I don’t mind eating crow right now. So my apologies for being so outspoken on something that was really none of my business.

As for high energy dogs, they do not equate with low threshold, bitey dogs temperament wise. My Husky/GSD has unending energy, but he’s very workable, we just both get miserable in the summer because there is no real way to get him both mentally AND physically stimulated enough in the heat. He is not bitey AT ALL. He’s not a slathering freak of nerves. He’s a solid dog. If I had to leave a strange family in my house with any dog of my choosing, it would be Crios. Yep, he’s hyper, but he doesn’t bite, nip, bully, or intimidate anyone.

As far as drive goes, he’s also high drive. Still not a bundle of nerves at all. Give him something to pull, and you’d see a kid in a candy store with free reign on daddy’s credit card. He’s happy, pure unadulterated happiness is what you get when you allow him to work his drive instead of trying to pound it out of him.

Yes, he will get destructive if not properly exercised/worked. But it’s not the end of the world. We’ve gotten into a good grove now with my chair, and I taught him to sit in my lap and control the stick. He already has his left/right/wait/stop commands in place from previous training on the urban sled. His face is just pure joy driving me around.

So Luke, whether he ends up with high energy or high drive, or any combination really, there is a way to get them to engage in their drive in a proper way, and work out their energy.

Btw, he’s not a working line. He’s a BYB experiment. So working lines aren’t the only lines that produce high drive, high energy dogs.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I wasn’t criticizing his dog in any way, but he should be prepared if more drive kicks in later. It happens. I got a medium-medium puppy. He was supposed to be medium energy, medium drive, very happy and playful. He is very mellow as an adult, happy, playful and has medium energy. But around 1 year, he went from having medium drive to high drive. It just happened, like a switch went on. He is still mellow. When something needs his attention he can go from 0 to 100 in seconds and then we are working with drive. When he is done with business, he has an Off Switch. He is far from sluggish or boring. He keeps me busy. I also like his mellow side because it gives me a break.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
My wife loves him and he is not what I expected as far as drive and puppy energy he is very well mannered he loves my wife so much I'm all ready a little jealous she has a pace maker and Dakota looked at her chest did a few head tilts then licked the scare and just played in her lap and he stays with her I couldn't be more happy notice the floppy ear what do you think he is only 4 month old
Exactly. As I tell my dog training clients, the right match is everything. A high drive GSD is not what Dakota's family was looking for. Dakota's sensitivity to the wife's medical issues is a rare and wonderful characteristic. Would he make a good police or military dog? Probably not, and that's not what his family needs. There are plenty of awesome GSDs that do make good police and military dogs. As I've said before, the reason the GSD is such a magnificent breed is because it contains lines that do so many different things so well--guide dog, other service dog, therapy dog, herding dog, police dog, military dog, personal protection dog, drug detection dog, search and rescue dog. No one should be pressured into becoming apologetic about their splendid GSD just because their dog doesn't have the traits someone else wants. Dakota's owner has gone from "I couldn't be more happy" to apologetically describing his wonderful GSD pup as "sluggish." Nice work, folks.
The OP stated in their opening quote that the puppy did not meet his expectations for drive or energy although he is happy about the rapport the puppy has with his wife. He has made other posts and threads stating what he wanted such as not wanting a couch potato or even considering a Malinois. Nobody should be pressured into silence because a puppy does not meet expectations but has the traits someone else thinks would be a perfect match for them.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I wasn’t criticizing his dog in any way, but he should be prepared if more drive kicks in later. It happens. I got a medium-medium puppy. He was supposed to be medium energy, medium drive, very happy and playful. He is very mellow as an adult, happy, playful and has medium energy. But around 1 year, he went from having medium drive to high drive. It just happened, like a switch went on. He is still mellow. When something needs his attention he can go from 0 to 100 in seconds and then we are working with drive. When he is done with business, he has an Off Switch. He is far from sluggish or boring. He keeps me busy. I also like his mellow side because it gives me a break.
Who said you were criticizing? You gave an honest response based on your experience.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Who said you were criticizing? You gave an honest response based on your experience.
JonRob said so. ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
The OP stated in their opening quote that the puppy did not meet his expectations for drive or energy although he is happy about the rapport the puppy has with his wife. He has made other posts and threads stating what he wanted such as not wanting a couch potato or even considering a Malinois. Nobody should be pressured into silence because a puppy does not meet expectations but has the traits someone else thinks would be a perfect match for them.
That is not at all what Luke stated. Luke was quite clear--he said that Dakota was different from what he expected and that he "couldn't be happier." This is the opposite of a statement that Dakota did not meet his expectations. If you still have doubts about what Luke meant, here's what Luke has to say:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts