German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
This time the dog was in its own yard contained by an invisible fence. What the heck is wrong with these cops shooting other peoples dogs? This idiot obviously shouldn't have a loaded gun.

Cop shoots, kills family dog | ajc.com
Police are humans too, they are subject to fears, rational or not. I know a lot of officers who are terrified of dogs. The fact it was a GR means nothing, GRs can be aggressive too.
The article states that there were no signs advising of an invisible fence.
This officer saw a dog running at him and barking. He had no idea the dog was contained. It's easy to judge when you are a person comfortable around dogs and know how to read dogs, but not everyone is like that.
It is not what I would have done, i do think it was most likely an over reaction But I am not so quick to condemn without knowing the entire story. There are a few details left out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Even if there had been signs that indicating an invisible fence, dogs charge right through those all the time.

Even if youre experienced in reading dog behavior--a charging, barking dog is enough to scare anyone. And I do not expect every single LEO to be an expert in dog behavior anyway.

And the article said "he does what he always does, barks", you would think if these owners were aware that their dog would charge and bark at people walking down the sidewalk they would do something about it.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I don't care for invisible fences. They don't keep other dogs or intruders out. They do nothing to protect the dog that they surround. Sad situation, but the owner needs to accept some blame. I never leave my dog outside unattended - especially not with an invisible fence.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Owners are 100% to blame.

Ok, maybe the invisible fence manufacturers are .005% to blame and the owners are 99.995% to blame.

In the world according to Sue, there would be no invisible fences. I have been charged by dogs having these, and while the fences DID hold them back, I had NO way of knowing that the fence existed. I think that invisible fence marketeers are maybe just a little too aggressive and maybe a little untruthful with their claims about your dog's safety.

The officer was doing his job, a loose dog barked and charged toward him, he pulled his gun and removed the threat of a charging, barking, loose dog. He should not have to determine whether or not there is an invisible fence. If the dog was chained or fenced in by a visible fence, than I would say, "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" As it stands, I hope he does not see undue pressure from this incident because of the idiot owners and the equally idiotic news media.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
What selzer said.

The dog was outside, unsupervised, contained by nothing other than an electric fence, which was not clearly marked. When the officer passed the yard, the dog jumped off the porch and charged at the officer, barking. The officer actually stood his ground and told the dog to stop - which is the thing that most people are taught when being faced with an aggressively charging dog. Tell the dog STOP or GO HOME in an authoritative voice. He did exactly that. The dog kept charging, so he shot the dog.

This is 100% the family's fault. Even though they know that their dog barks at and charges passers-by, they leave the dog outside, unsupervised, contained only by an electric fence. At the time this happened, three of the family's boys were inside the house, nobody was outside watching the dog. I wonder how many times the dog has charged at someone? How many times he's gone through the fence? And I LOVE the excuse, "He's a Golden Retriever. He barks, but he's never bitten anyone." As if Goldens don't bite.

·
Registered
751 Posts
On one hand I completely agree that it's not ok to let a territorially protective dog out in a front yard with an invisible fence, thus letting it scare and threaten by passers on a public sidewalk. But I also am very uncomfortable that the dog was killed on its owners' property. If the dog got on a public sidewalk, that'd be a different matter.

But I can understand the officer, especially if he has been on a call to investigate a suspicious activity and was in a highly alert mode to react quickly to threats.

If the dog has always done that, it seems that neighbors put up with it, instead of addressing it with the dog's owners and, if that doesn't help, with Animal Control. In a functioning community people constructively bring up issues before something terrible happens. But functioning communities seem on the brink of extinction.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Thats very sad, no matter who is at blame. They still have to go without their dog. I'd be devastated if I lost my pups. If it was my fault or at the fault of somebody else. Loss is Loss....

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
My parents neighbors have two German Shorthaired Pointers that go beserk at the line of their invisible fence. At first, they unnerved me some when I was unloading my dogs. I have to admit it was not pleasant to witness the charge, but they stayed in their area. I really can't imagine thinking of shooting them though.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Do I get to shoot things that I think might come off their property and become a threat?
In the morning I walk to work by a church that feeds homeless people, a lot of them yell crazy things and scare me... I can't read them really well... Can I shoot them?
I never wanted to be a cop because I'm small and a lot of things scare me but if I can just walk around firing away at stuff I don't trust or understand, it might not be that bad. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Loss IS loss. But when the owners and other blame the officer for doing the shooting, they will get another dog and do the same thing with it, because they saw nothing wrong with their approach to keeping their dog.

People need to be smarter, and protect these wonderful creatures. If I had a nickel for every nice golden I saw at the dog show this weekend....

And yet, they are large and no one should feel like they are going to be bowled over or bitten by one. Little dog owners should be equally careful, but if the cop shot a Yorkie in the same situation, doo doo would be flying at citi hall.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Do I get to shoot things that I think might come off their property and become a threat?
In the morning I walk to work by a church that feeds homeless people, a lot of them yell crazy things and scare me... I can't read them really well... Can I shoot them?
I never wanted to be a cop because I'm small and a lot of things scare me but if I can just walk around firing away at stuff I don't trust or understand, it might not be that bad. :rolleyes2:
The police officer was not there taking his morning constitutional. He was doing his JOB. No one should have to face getting bitten in the course of their work. If the dog is loose and the dog is barking and coming, then it has to go, so sorry.

No, you cannot shoot the homeless people. This is not the same thing.

The officer could not KNOW that dog lived there. It was on the porch. Big deal. When I was a kid I walked all over town, with my dog off lead, and she used to go up on to porches that left cat food out... I pretended I did not know her. She had no qualms going onto someones porch.

When dog flies off a porch and charges barking at you, and you are there trying to respond to a possible crime, the dog is going to lose. The owners are IDIOTS.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Evidently the "suspicious person" call she was responding to was a person selling meat out of a truck. She showed up at the dog owner's house because they had a white truck parked in front of their house.
I'm not saying the owners aren't at all at fault here but I'd like to think if my dogs didn't leave my property, I could have them outside without risking them being shot in my own yard.
If my dog received a broken face from being hit by a night stick on the sidewalk, I'd say it's 100% my fault.
I'm particularly offended by this because my dog is "scary". That's part of the reason I have him, even though he would never hurt anyone, I like that he keeps people away from myself and my house; it makes me sick that someone has the "right" to kill him because they're scared of him. Thank god we don't have a yard... unnless he gets shot through the living room window because he might jump out and then maybe bite.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
OK, I said the owner needed to accept some of the blame. I take that back. I agree with Selzer and AbbyK9 - the owner deserves all of the blame. How is an officer supposed to see an invisible fence? How is he supposed to know the dog is going to stop?

I drive by a home in the country that has an invisible fence. I keep thinking that dog is going to run into the street and I am going to hit him. Hasn't happened yet, but it really scares me. He doesn't look like he is going to stop in time.

I feel bad for the dog. It wasn't his fault. His owners did not protect him and that "fence"
contributed to his death.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm not saying the owners aren't at all at fault here but I'd like to think if my dogs didn't leave my property, I could have them outside without risking them being shot in my own yard.
If my dog received a broken face from being hit by a night stick on the sidewalk, I'd say it's 100% my fault..
But how close should the dog be able to get before someone decides it is a threat? Part of my question about the facts in the initial question WAS in regards to that.

I'm particularly offended by this because my dog is "scary". That's part of the reason I have him, even though he would never hurt anyone, I like that he keeps people away from myself and my house; it makes me sick that someone has the "right" to kill him because they're scared of him. Thank god we don't have a yard... unnless he gets shot through the living room window because he might jump out and then maybe bite.
This is something I would think most of us here deal with. Our dogs are typically considered more "scary" than other breeds. I take great care in making sure my dogs are not put into a situation where someone views them as a threat. I would never allow them to charge at the sidewalk, restrained or not. I would not expect people not to be alarmed at such a behavior of my own dogs, Lab or GSDs.

Part of the problem here is the owners may have felt that since the dog was a Golden, and a nice dog, that they didn't feel the behavior of barking and charging was particularly threatening to anyone. That is exactly why I pointed out that GRs can be aggressive too. Many many people will approach my Lab and avoid my GSDs, but I still deal with people who are downright terrified of my lab (he is not a particularly large dog either). He is completely and totally your typical "never met a stranger, pet me" Lab. But I never forget that there are those who don't see that or understand that about him. But I know others who feel that because it is a Lab, no one should be afraid. There is a similar sentiment with GRs.

Barking at a window is a completely different scenerio than apparently being off leash and charging at someone. There is much more reason to be afraid of the dog already outside and approaching. If a dog did come through a window, you can be pretty **** sure the dog does not have good intentions.
But on the other hand, we have chosen to block our window on the stairs because my dogs frighten the mailman He IS afraid they will come through.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Evidently the "suspicious person" call she was responding to was a person selling meat out of a truck. She showed up at the dog owner's house because they had a white truck parked in front of their house.
If my dog received a broken face from being hit by a night stick on the sidewalk, I'd say it's 100% my fault.

Any call COULD be dangerous. The person could have been selling meat that he just ripped off. He could have warrants. he could not want to get arrested. It could be just violating a non-soliciation order in a locality. But to approach a situation without caution, could get you dead.

JaxMom, if your dog came off your porch and charged barking at a little old lady walking down the street, and she slipped and fell and broke a hip because of the dog's actions, and then went to the hospital and never made it out of the hospital, would that be ok. Would you be accountable for any of that. Would you, if you KNEW the dog barked and charged at people walking down the street?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but no way would I allow my dog to charge at people in my front yard - invisible fence or no. I don't allow my dog in the front yard at all without me. I know she is scary. Little kids walk to and from school. She has her big GSD bark. There is no earthly reason for her to be out there annoying people. I call it common sense.

As for the officer - No, I don't think he/she should wait to see if the dog makes it to the sidewalk and is bitten before taking a shot.

·
Registered
604 Posts
So if the officer had taken a step back and waited until the dog stepped foot on the sidewalk, then shot him, you would have thought that was perfectly acceptable?! THEN it would have been 100% the owners fault? For a difference of a couple feet of open ground?

The dog charged off the porch, no fence in site, officer gives a warning, dog wont stop....in the eyes of the officer, there was no "the dog MIGHT be charging me". No, the dog WAS a real, charging threat-- giving no idication of stopping on his owners property line.

No one has a "right" to kill a dog JUST because they are scared of him. If your dog busted out of your living room window and charged at a stranger, then yes, you have a right to shoot the dog.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts