German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Good for you!

That is ridiculous.. now if the puppy got hurt.. you know what would happen to the GSD... makes me so mad!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Looked like they were playing to me........I think that is a puppy. The GSD certainly was handling the puppy quite nicely. Of course my sound was turned off, but by the dogs language, the little one didnt look like it was attacking, but rough play.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, it's CRAZY! Who would allow this and not discipline or at least separate the pup the moment it attacked? That pup is serious, not playing!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I still think it is irresponsible for them to sit there and allow the little, what maybe 5lbs puppy to rough house with a 60lbs+ dog. It looks as though the GSD is trying to be gentle and move away but the puppy keeps going at it.

Wouldn't be happening in my house that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turn your sound on, Betsy
It is a puppy but it is also trying to attack the GSD, at least that is what I get from it. The pup is going after his throat and growling very "mean".

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
elisabeth, the GSD is doing what Lulu does with my daughter, when she plays rough with her, She finds something else to chew on besides my daughter to appease her mouthing or biting instinct. Lulu does it every time my daughter plays rough with her (which I am constantly on her NOT to do). At least the GSD is very smart.

·
Banned
411 Posts
Originally Posted By: StarryNiteWho would allow this and not discipline or at least separate the pup the moment it attacked? That pup is serious, not playing!
I disagree. I think you need to lighten up and study dog behavior a little closer and get some more experience.

The little dog sounds vicious and is almost acting vicious but I think it's still playing. Even though the little dog is acting vicious, look how gently and carefully the GSD fights and holds the little dog. They are obviously playmates and have a rank and rules worked out. The dogs are adjusting their play to each other.

The little dog has a variation of the Napoleon complex. In dogs I jokingly call this behavior "Chihuahua syndrome" or "Chihuahua complex".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex

Little dogs will often have an attitude that will compensate for their size. I don't have a problem with this behavior as long as it's playing.

I've even seen little dogs like this rollover on their backs a few minutes after "fighting" like this to let larger dogs do mock attacks and domination on them.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm well, maybe you are right. I just don't want to see them allow the little dog to learn to attack the GSD with maybe bad consequences later on. I probably do need to lighten up LOL. Just when I first saw this it didn't seem right to me, sort of like allowing something small to beat on something big because they are tiny. And we all know what Napoleon did

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
They're playing. I listened to the sound, but the sounds they are making doesn't matter. (Two large dogs will make the same sounds when playing). What matters is that after the pup goes at it for a while, he stops and looks at the shepherd. This is CLASSIC *play* behavior, and it's behavior of well socialized dogs wherein they stop, take a break and assess the situation: "we're still playing, right?" The little guy even walks away on his own. Beautiful.

Dogs that are "attacking" one another don't do that. They just keep going and going. Plus, this pup doesn't go for any sensitive parts, like the eyes or lips. He's jumping all over the place, but he's just a whirlwind of movement, not aggression, or even inappropriate play.

There is no evidence that this pup has a "Napoleon complex." He just can't play at the same level (literally, the same height level) another big dog would play. So the GSD lies down to be at his level. But the *vigor* of the play is the same as if they were the same sized dogs. If the video were left running long enough, you'd probably see the GSD roll on top of the pup, or take the pup's head in his mouth for a bit. They exchange roles.

My small dog and my GSDs play like this. She came home as a 5lb pup and played with my 87 lb adult male GSD. He LOVED it, and she learned boundaries from him. There is almost never any squabbling. In turn, she has socialized my GSD pup extremely well. They wrestle around rambunctiously but safely even though she's nearly half their size in height and weighs a fraction of what they do. The thing is that most small dogs who live with big dogs learn to co-exist nicely with them -- and visa versa.

·
Banned
411 Posts
Earlier in the video the Chihuahua was upset but still playing when the German Shepherd took the ball. The Chihuahua viciously attacked the GSD but it was still just play. The puppies snarling sounded like real anger; but I don't think it was really angry at the GSD it was just angry in discouragement/frustration that it just gave the GSD everything it had and it didn't faze the GSD, and the GSD was still teasing it with the ball.

It's more obvious toward the end there that is play. Toward the end (about one minute into the video) the puppy comes up real friendly to the German Shepherd and is trying to get the ball from the German Shepherd.

Originally Posted By: StarryNiteI just don't want to see them allow the little dog to learn to attack the GSD with maybe bad consequences later on.
That is a possibility. Hopefully the Chihuahua would be smart enough to realize that it can't do this with every GSD or large dog. Hopefully if it sees another GSD or other large dog it will recognize that it's a different dog and know to work out an agreement and the rules.

Hopefully if the Chihuahua meets another large dog; that the owner will supervise in case intervention is needed if things get ugly; and hopefully they would evaluate the temperament of a larger dog before even trying such an introduction.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It looks like playing to me but i'm no expert. I'd be more worried about how the little pup reacts to other big strange dogs he may not know. That behavior could get him in trouble around another dog.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
It looks like they are playing to me. About halfway through, it appears the GSD whacked the puppy with his foot. That's when the little guy sat down and "got a hint". I think the GSD did very well with the little terrorist.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think its all in good fun. If the GSD was offended in any way, she wouldn't have been lying on her back. When you think one dog is being aggressive, look at the reaction of the other dog in that situation. IMO, it's rough play. When the action gets really rough and the GSD might have nipped the pup or knocked it in the head, the pup lets out a yelp and then they BOTH give pacifiying signals to each other (notice the pup sat and both are turning their heads away at about 30 seconds).

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I think it is just play too, especially by the way the GSD was reacting. At the end, I thought the GSD was kind of teasing the little guy with the ball, sort of asking for more. I vote playing.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The gsd is very relaxed. They are playing, for sure. If you heard Rafi playing with his little friend Dodger you would call animal control! He screams and growls and she screams and growls and it's all in good fun. In fact, Rafi growls when he's playing with me.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
It looks like they are playing to me. At the end it looked like the GSD was trying to engage the puppy to play again.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
There playing.You can tell by the way the GSD is.He could care less,if he wasn't playing he wouldn't have rolled over and stayed there when the little on left.MY 2 are worse than that when they wrestle around.
Lighten up people.Not all play sessions are attack sessions.Some dogs just play rougher than others.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts