German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was over to take me to TSC. Afterwards, we carried the dog food into the house. Indra and Gizmo came outside and jumped into my friends car. Her girl petted Gizmo and once he had enough he showed clear calming signals and the girl immediately left him alone. It's so good to see kids who actually can read a dog. :wub:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I can't see for sure but what I think I see(it kinda breaks at the point the dog is moving away)...I think the dog should get most of the credit. She left him alone because he wanted to go the other way. Once she realized he was done she was to and that is good, but she didn't do it on her own. If he didn't kinda pull away from her, do you think she would have still went to the next dog? They are pretty dogs.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think she would. If she hadn't, we would have told her.

That being said, I don't think you can expect more from a child her age. She could have not reacted any faster.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Yeah, I think she would. If she hadn't, we would have told her.

That being said, I don't think you can expect more from a child her age. She could have not reacted any faster.
I agree, but the dog did well to. I think this exactly how dogs and kids should act.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
i take yr word for it, no need for google. still think it is not descriptive and misleading when the actual word that means stress eg stress would be better. guess it is a politically correct thing where people like to think a stress free world exists and they can eliminate such things by not saying the words they don't like out loud.

anyhoo, i am a follower and from now on when i see a stressed dog i will just say it's "calming".

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is exactly what the dog does in a stressed situation. He is using signals to calm you/dog down which is why the term is Calming Signals.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My dog yawns when she is bored. But if she thinks I'm going to tell her something she don't want to hear, she changes the subject by yawning or stretching..yep she uses stretching to get out of stuff to.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
i heard licking the lips/nose is to clear scent passages as the dog is assessing if he has to do battle with a bear or a wolf - hardly calming imo.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
On talking terms with dogs, Turid Rugaas is one of those essentials in the dog owners library. Also the video. "calming signals"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts