German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has to happen with other people but I have to ask.....why do dogs take a mouthful of food then take it somewhere else, drop it then eat it, then go back for more and repeat. why not just eat it at the bowl?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I have not had to address this personally with my dogs.

But our trainers viewpoint on this is one that makes sense to me and if I had this crop up I would give it a shot.

He said if the dog walks off with a mouthful of food, pick up the bowl and they don't get to eat again until their next scheduled feeding. That feeding, when they do it again, pick up the food and feed at the next feeding. Repeat as necessary. Your dog won't starve itself to death, it will learn that walking off from the food means the bowl disappears.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My 8yo pekingese sometimes does that too:thinking::thinking:

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
feed in the crate?
Kacie will do this with her raw food. I feed her outside. She has a really bad jawset/tooth alignment and has a hard time eating, so I indulge her by just giving her time to eat in peace without others raiding her dish when she goes off to eat a chunk.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
LOL, our 12 yr old little dog has always done that. He takes one nugget of food, carries it across the dining room to the living room carpet, drops it, looks at it, then eats it. Repeat 50 times twice a day :)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Many smaller breeds will go bury their kibble in the sofa cushions or under throw rugs. Save it for later...smart pups!

·
Registered
490 Posts
My pup doesn't do that.. However if we give him scraps or a treat, he will take it to his comfort area (pet bed in living room) and eat it there

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
this doesn't state why the dog is walking away with food.

I have not had to address this personally with my dogs.

But our trainers viewpoint on this is one that makes sense to me and if I had this crop up I would give it a shot.

He said if the dog walks off with a mouthful of food, pick up the bowl and they don't get to eat again until their next scheduled feeding. That feeding, when they do it again, pick up the food and feed at the next feeding. Repeat as necessary. Your dog won't starve itself to death, it will learn that walking off from the food means the bowl disappears.

·
Registered
42 Posts
LOL Ours do that too. I've wondered why myself but never took the time to find out.

Always suspected it was that they weren't the alpha dog or high up enough in the pack to ensure a place at the table and so they'd have to grab and run from a shared meal to get enough to eat when young. Then this behavior just carried over into adulthood

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Mine do not do that, usually. I mean, if you are in the living room and the pup is eating in the kitchen, he may grab a mouthful and deposit it on the living room floor to eat near you. He is a social eater. The answer is to sit in the kitchen with the dog while he eats.

But what mine DO do, is they grab a mouthful of WATER, and deposit that, like they are going to drink it later??? GSDs are SUPPOSED to be INTELLIGENT!!!!

There is nothing quite so fun as waking up to your dogs nose in your face and see him drop a mouthful of water ON YOUR BED!!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know why dogs do that but i wonder
if it's a part of saving it for later even though
they don't bury the food or hide it in some sort of way.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
ummmm, food for thought.

LOL Ours do that too. I've wondered why myself but never took the time to find out.

Always suspected it was that they weren't the alpha dog or high up enough in the pack to ensure a place at the table and so they'd have to grab and run from a shared meal to get enough to eat when young. Then this behavior just carried over into adulthood

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Riley used to do it. our vet called him a social eater. if we werent staying in the room with him when he eats, we had to start confining him to one room to eat. he finally learned to eat at his bowl. Some dogs just do it without an explanation really. Social eaters or the save for laters. Who knows really?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts