German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Midnite for almost 3 weeks and I learn more about home everyday. Today I went outside to pick up the poop before work, I was so happy because I was going to be on time, but Midnite had other plans. As I was picking up poop I heard jingling from a dog collar, I turn around and there is Midnite. I was in shock because I know I shut the door and it was only cracked open. There are tons of ducks everywhere and he ignores them and me... This dog has NO recall. I stay calm and start talking to him and I got inches from him when I hear more jingling.. I look and there is Robyn my other GSD. They both decided it was playtime. I am no longer calm and I'm screaming at the top of my lungs for my son. I immediately stand in the street to stop traffic and the dogs are playing and running everywhere... Never once did they go for the ducks and the ducks never moved either. My son runs out in boxers and no shoes...now running after them across the street. Finally Robyn realized my son was there and came to him, real slow with her head down and Midnite following her. My son was livid and I was not far behind him. Those dogs scared the heck out of me. I am meeting with a personal trainer tomorrow with Midnite... He gets no more passes, he will be in full training mode no matter what I have to do. I still can't believe that he figured out how to open that door. It is a sliding door and I think he used his nose, then his paw, then his body and all very quietly because I didn't hear him and I was only 20 ft away. On a good note my other two dogs stood put and didn't even try to get out.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yep, they can open sliding glass doors as well. Luckily mine opens into the back yard. If I don't want Woolf going into the backyard for whatever reason, I have to be sure the door is locked and go out another way.

Woolf opens it by snout or paw just enough so he can get his head through then use his neck to push it further.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Preaching to the choir! Just got back from the beach where my ill trained husband attempted to "lose" the pit bull by leaving doors open and not tethering her. She not only has no recall but she also has no nerve--so she freaks out "Horrible Horrible Freedom!!" and blindly runs. Got her back by play bowing and bouncing around (with a walking boot.)

Doing yard work today. Brought an electric mower cause I can't use the reel with my foot so husband mows lawn for the first time in years and leaves the back gate wide open. I hear some barks and Temps is on her way out of the yard. The lawn mower spooks her back in but I'm pretty furious --with my husband. Havoc is a sensitive boy so he goes upstairs when I'm upset--which upsets my husband.

The recall will come but until than we have to be on top of our management. We've never had a bolter/runner before and I'm a bit slow because of my foot. Frustration.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
You have to stay a step ahead of them, lol. I have a long piece of wood (from an old broomstick?) that I drop into the slot to keep the glass door from being pushed wide open by the dogs. I'm glad nothing bad happened, but don't be too hard on the poor guy. He's still adjusting - and hey, look on the bright side - he's a very clever one!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to stay a step ahead of them, lol. I have a long piece of wood (from an old broomstick?) that I drop into the slot to keep the glass door from being pushed wide open by the dogs. I'm glad nothing bad happened, but don't be too hard on the poor guy. He's still adjusting - and hey, look on the bright side - he's a very clever one!
My first thought after I got over my initial shock was that this dog is to smart for his own good.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Welcome to the door opener club! Wait until he learns how to turn a door knob and let himself in and out. I have to keep all my doors locked at all times or Wolfie would be coming and going whenever he felt like it. If you have a zippered screenhouse or tent watch that too. Wolfie learned how to do zippers very quickly.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of the working line :D

·
Registered
874 Posts
Roxy locked me out one day...I NEVER am outside with less than 2 doors unlocked though. So I came back in the other door...but I climbed the bi level deck only to see her with her big dopey grin on her face as I tried to get in and she had locked the sliding glass door. I was thinking it was futile to try and get her to unlock it..so I laughed and went in the other door.

·
Registered
874 Posts
ps I had to move our big piece of stick that I have for the stopper on the sliding glass door...roxy thought that was HERS

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
That must have been very scary, I'm glad everything turned out ok! And yes I would be very careful with those sliding glass doors, my cat can open them too if its not locked! :crazy:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I would be scared out of my mind. N thankfully your sun was there to help. Fiona has not figured out the door yet. But she can get out of her soft sided crate that is zippered closed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the wonderful world of the working line :D
See this is what happens when one doesn't have a clue what the pedigree of the dog is:D I'm 100% sure he is working line and I believe Czech lines. He has already broken out of his crate too. He jumps on walls to smell whatever he is trying to smell, he jumps on outside commericial size garbage cans to smell what is on there, he walks on the shelves at the petstore, and he even walked the row of chairs at the vets:confused: He has his nose to the ground and walks with a purpose, does that make sense? And he is very fast.. He approaches everything with a confidence I have never seen, but hey he is getting better with the cats everyday:D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roxy locked me out one day...I NEVER am outside with less than 2 doors unlocked though. So I came back in the other door...but I climbed the bi level deck only to see her with her big dopey grin on her face as I tried to get in and she had locked the sliding glass door. I was thinking it was futile to try and get her to unlock it..so I laughed and went in the other door.
One of my other dogs locked me out, I can see that happening. This stinks because I have two patio doors that slide open and no other windows...now I can't even leave them open a little bit unless he is in his crate and who knows how long before he figures out how to get out of the crate again....

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the door opener club! Wait until he learns how to turn a door knob and let himself in and out. I have to keep all my doors locked at all times or Wolfie would be coming and going whenever he felt like it. If you have a zippered screenhouse or tent watch that too. Wolfie learned how to do zippers very quickly.
When I got my first GSD she was 12 weeks and the people told me that she knew how to open the door, I thought they were crazy. She has never tried it here, but now I know that it can be done.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
One of my other dogs locked me out, I can see that happening. This stinks because I have two patio doors that slide open and no other windows...now I can't even leave them open a little bit unless he is in his crate and who knows how long before he figures out how to get out of the crate again....
There is no law against putting a leash on the dog in the house. When you want the door open, tether the dog to you and use it as a bonding exercise.

I don't get being upset a the dog for getting out. The dog is new you your home and to you, and exploring his environment -- the one to be angry with is the one who did not secure the door so that the dog couldn't open it.

No chance at putting up a fence where access to the patio doors are?

You dodged a bullet today, and it is normal to feel a bunch of feelings, relief, anger, worry, irritation. So now you know something new. Either crate the dog when you go out back, or leash the dog and take him with you, or fix the doors so he can't help himself to the outdoors.

I guess I don't understand the "no more free passes." Just because a do displays his intelligence, does not suggest the dog is bad or requires NILIF, though walking on the shelves at the pet store does sound like it wouldn't kill him.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is no law against putting a leash on the dog in the house. When you want the door open, tether the dog to you and use it as a bonding exercise.

I don't get being upset a the dog for getting out. The dog is new you your home and to you, and exploring his environment -- the one to be angry with is the one who did not secure the door so that the dog couldn't open it.

No chance at putting up a fence where access to the patio doors are?

You dodged a bullet today, and it is normal to feel a bunch of feelings, relief, anger, worry, irritation. So now you know something new. Either crate the dog when you go out back, or leash the dog and take him with you, or fix the doors so he can't help himself to the outdoors.

I guess I don't understand the "no more free passes." Just because a do displays his intelligence, does not suggest the dog is bad or requires NILIF, though walking on the shelves at the pet store does sound like it wouldn't kill him.
By free passes I meant that I gave him time to get used to everything and now its time to move forward. For the first two weeks I watched and tried learning his behaviors. I needed to know what he was capable of and what he needed to learn. In the process we taught him stuff like sit, down, leave it, really basic things. Now we need to move on to bigger things. I am not mad at him for getting out, I'm shocked. The door was open no more then an inch, I'm not even sure how he managed to do it, but he did and it won't ever happen again. Hopefully I will be moving soon, we are just past the inspection phase of purchasing the home and so far so good. When we move there will be 6 ft fences up against concrete and then a second fence...there is no way he will get out. I am meeting with a trainer tomorrow for an evaluation. He is pretty reactive to dogs which makes it hard for obedience classes. Once we get past that I am sure I am on my way to a perfect dog. I don't think that walking on the shelves will kill him, he just needs to learn manners and that will come in time. I've learned a long time ago to pick my battles...first and foremost on my list with him was the cats, now that that is much better...on to the next thing. And I will never leave that door open even a little bit again, I have learned my lesson and thankfully everyone was okay, I would have felt so guilty and I would have never forgiven myself if anything happened to any of my dogs.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Mayhem opens closet doors and takes out shoes. he has gotten 2 pair this week. We put a child lock on the door finally.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Excellent! Soon you will be hard-pressed to find new hiding places, LOL!
I would imagine he would be a perfect candidate for search and rescue, but that is equivalent to a full-time job for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts