German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting with leaving Willow home alone, out of her crate, for longer and longer periods of time. Today I ended up having to make an unexpected trip into Missoula an hour away, so Willow ended up being home for 4 hours. Before I left, I put a Milkbone and some peanut butter into her West Paw puzzle toy thing (similar to a Kong) and gave it to her.

Well, I just got home, and thankfully Willow behaved herself and I can't find any evidence of pooping/peeing or chewing on anything. Yay! But then I sat down in my chair to check my e-mails and she lay down on her pillow, where the toy still was. She nosed it onto the floor, whined, and then put her head down staring at it. I looked over and saw that the poor thing wasn't able to get the Milkbone out of it! She'd licked the peanut butter clean but that food in there must've driven her crazy for four hours. So of course I went over and took it out for her, so now she can relax. :)

Just yesterday she was driving me crazy with energy and I was thinking "why the heck did I adopt this dog" but then it's things like this--her being so well behaved at home, and cracking me up with her expressions and vocalizations and personality--that make me glad she's in my life.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I used to fill Sabi's Kong before I left for work if she needed to be left at home. One morning in a rush I left it sitting on the shelf by the door. She could have just nosed it off, it was not a high shelf. She left it there all day until I came home. I felt horrible. She must have sat there cursing me all day, lol.

I'm happy to hear another good update about Miss Willow. Sounds like you are both settling with each other.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice! So glad things are going in the right direction for you. I can't imagine when I will try leaving my guy home alone and uncrated, of course though it's hard to vision when he is five months. First steps first though, which is removing the gates to give him free reign. Again, I can't envision that either and I am SO sick of the gates.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! So glad things are going in the right direction for you. I can't imagine when I will try leaving my guy home alone and uncrated, of course though it's hard to vision when he is five months. First steps first though, which is removing the gates to give him free reign. Again, I can't envision that either and I am SO sick of the gates.
Yeah it was her recent bout of diarrhea that made me start doing this; my plan was going to be to just crate her whenever I left, since at first it seemed like she was less anxious in there vs. pacing the house. But I figure if she DOES get diarrhea again, I'd rather have one poopy spot in the house vs. a really poopy crate and a dog covered in poop because she couldn't get away from it. Granted I don't have much carpet in the house so...easy for me to say...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah it was her recent bout of diarrhea that made me start doing this; my plan was going to be to just crate her whenever I left, since at first it seemed like she was less anxious in there vs. pacing the house. But I figure if she DOES get diarrhea again, I'd rather have one poopy spot in the house vs. a really poopy crate and a dog covered in poop because she couldn't get away from it. Granted I don't have much carpet in the house so...easy for me to say...
Makes sense. My house is all hardwood and of course they were all refinished right before we got the pup. They looked like glass. Surprisingly they have't taken a beating (yet).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Makes sense. My house is all hardwood and of course they were all refinished right before we got the pup. They looked like glass. Surprisingly they have't taken a beating (yet).

Not to be negative Nancy, but they will.. go ahead......ask me how I know lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not to be negative Nancy, but they will.. go ahead......ask me how I know lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL! Oh I know! It's funny how much we love our dogs more than the other things we thought we loved so much and had strict rules on. I'm a car guy and people can't believe I let my dog in my BMW, but I love the dog more than the car and I want him with me. Our house was recently done over head to toe, I was OCD about keeping it pristine, but that went out the window when I got the dog. It bugs me to see the white throw carpet in the great room now grey, but like I said, I love the dog more than my toys.

That said, I had two dogs in my last house and they did a job on everything, especially when they would run around and play. With just one, I think it will be manageable to minimize the damage by doing more outside than in and having some rules for him. At the end of the day, it's a car, and the floors and scratched walls can be re-done in time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty house proud (and maybe OCD) myself, and man oh man, the shedding when I first got Willow....I went out and bought a Roomba. Her shedding is much better now, I think it was mostly stress. But still...

I'm also finding I'm a lot more comfortable with pawprints and general dirtiness now than I was before. Lucky for me my house is old and kinda crappy; the hardwood floors look just OK (kinda uneven, chipped, scratched) and they're unfinished, so pawprints and stuff show up really well and I can't let moisture sit on it cuz it just soaks right in. So I still do have to mop up Willow's slobbers (she's the messiest water drinker I've ever seen) but other than that I've become quiet tolerant. :)

I also have an old crappy car and my work truck is old and crappy...lol. But I was told I'm being assigned a new truck in the spring (like...a NEW one) so we'll see how that goes with the pup...

The one thing I do kinda regret is my nice living room rug. I kinda splurged on it as a housewarming gift to myself when I bought the house 2 years ago. I loved to lie on it sometimes. Now...now the whole thing is like Willow's bed. Luckily her hair kinda blends right in with it, but I don't wanna lie on it anymore without a lintroller handy...

·
Registered
188 Posts
"she's the messiest water drinker I've ever seen"

My male is like that. We put their water bowls on boot trays (the plastic things that you put near your door to drop your shoes in, when you come in from outside with wet/dirty//snow-covered shoes), though they do need to be dumped out and cleaned periodically...

And I used to be proud of our carpets. But after raising two kids and four dogs on them, I'm hoping to switch to hardwood, and then just use smaller rugs that I can place/remove easily where needed (hopefully, no more wall to wall carpets).

·
Registered
875 Posts
So nice to hear a peaceful story about you and Willow, sounds like she is settling in!

I have relaxed a lot too. I used to feel like a terrible housekeeper- if I found a fur tumbleweed in the hall, then I would vacuum the entire first floor! Now I just pick up the tumbleweed and throw it in the trashcan. Or, if feeling lazy, I just leave it there. :) It's just Fur, meh...

We have big sisal mats by front/back door now...this place is pretty dogproof. Sometimes when I come home after being out for a few hours, I sniff the air carefully to see if house smells like Dog...so far, so good.

Oh, and I always have to bang Rumo's Kong for him too, to get the last bits out!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
The progressive tolerance thing is SO funny! With kids they say new, first time parents boil and sterilize bottles and pacifiers if they are dropped. Second kid, maybe boil and sterilize once a week. Third kid, wipe on pants and stick it back in the kid's mouth.

With dogs it's so similar. With a GSD the hair everywhere thing is relentless, so yeah, what else can you do. They desencitize us pretty quickly to hair on the floor, and on clothes. But what surprises me is how fast I adapted and quit worrying about hair in the bottom of the fridge, or in my food LOL! It just isn't possible to keep it out.

·
Registered
744 Posts
"she's the messiest water drinker I've ever seen"

My male is like that. We put their water bowls on boot trays (the plastic things that you put near your door to drop your shoes in, when you come in from outside with wet/dirty//snow-covered shoes), though they do need to be dumped out and cleaned periodically...

And I used to be proud of our carpets. But after raising two kids and four dogs on them, I'm hoping to switch to hardwood, and then just use smaller rugs that I can place/remove easily where needed (hopefully, no more wall to wall carpets).
Ha, I think mine has holes in his mouth. It's like...puddles everywhere after he drinks. I've got rags all over the floor. I don't bother picking them up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts