German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 18 week old puppy has been chasing his tail for a couple weeks. It started a day or so after the vet visit and some shots. Time - outs in his doggy room make him stop. The problem is my 9 yr old daughter comes home from school with a baby sitter and my daughter can't even put up the baby gate for time -out. I try not to make the baby sitter responsible for the dog. They tried giving him a rawhide (I know, not the best treat, but grandma had brought it over that day) and he completely ignored it and tail chased instead. My daughter threw food about the room, he would pause to eat it, then right back to his tail chasing. This went on for 2 hours! Could it be the shots that caused it? I also read high cholesterol in dogs may lead to tail chasing.
Did your puppies chase their tail? My husband says our whole house is a bit crazy so why not the dog!
Today I have a yummy dog treat bone that takes a while to eat and my daughter has been instructed to give this to him. Hopefully this helps! We've upped the exercise and give treat balls but it does not seem to help. He even chases his tail while outside playing fetch or playing with other pups.
I'm really worried about this new behavior.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Gsds seem to be prone to tail chasing and other obsessive/compulsive disorders. There's a study being done at Tuft's U with gsds and the woman doing to study put a thread here to ask for participants. Maybe you can get in touch with her.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today my 9 yr old came home from school with babysitter and gave our puppy his yummy bone. He ignored the bone and chased his tail. My daughter put him in time-out which always works for me and he chased his tail in his dog room. He started to calm down apparently just before I got home. When I got home telling him NO did not work (he was still chasing his tail on an off), so I slapped him in the bum and said NO. This worked and he stopped. While slapping him worked, I don't want that to be the norm, but I'm at my wits end. I am going to sign up for the Tufts study on tail chasing as suggested. More exercise and hiding his food and treat balls is not lessening this behavior. If anyone has anything that worked for them I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
You better try to stop it now while he is still young or you won't later and it can become a serious problem. Is he getting enough exercise? Do you crate him when not supervised? These are the 2 major things I can think of.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
T If anyone has anything that worked for them I'd greatly appreciate it.
I already made the suggestion on your other thread about this issue but I'll say it again - you need a veterinary behaviorist. Your puppy may need to be on behavioral drugs for awhile along with specific behavior modification. The longer this goes on, the harder it will be to stop.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mia started doing that too. I used redirection with her ball or one of her toys. Thankfully, she loves the toys more than her tail. She will try to chase her tail every now and again but a firm "No" and clapping of my hands stops her cold. I'm thankful it hasn't become and obsessive behavior with her.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I emailed a veterinary behaviorist named Ellen Lindell. I found the name from this website so many thanks! From her website it says she travels to 5 different locations in New York and one is right near me.
AgileGSD - thanks for making the suggestion again. I guess I need to hear things more than once sometimes for it to sink in.
Zeppelin is such an amazing dog in every other way and it's breaking my heart watching him do this.
Tonight shortly after I got home he's been great! He is attracted to chewing on his legs but if replaced with his favorite ball it's been easily curtailed.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would look into a good holistic vet too. If this is a vaccine reaction that can be addressed by someone who knows what they're doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts