Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
van Tiekerhook - Fooddrive!

I was absolutely shocked and disgusted to see this. I can hardly believe he is praising his own dogs for showing both food aggression and fear aggression towards him. I cannot imagine how he would think this kind of behavioural enforcement would benefit his dogs OR the breed.

It breaks my heart to read the body language on the second/black dog. She looks fearful and uncertain of what the handler is doing - there is a great amount mistrust in her wide eyes.

I do not care what a dog is trained for, or what breed they are, but they should never exhibit such behaviour. That to me shows a dog that is NOT sound. He has the nerve to label such behaviour as "real food drive"! I would never, ever, ever allow this sort of behaviour in my dogs. I would do everything in my power to correct it.

Has anyone seen this before? Please tell me this isn't a common practice for breeders to praise their dogs for food aggression. I personally have not seen it before now, but it really unnerved and upset me.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: what is he thinking?!?! that's. it food drive that's flat out food aggression!!!!!! then he's praising it!! do you know how long thYs going to take to get rid of, if it can even be trained out of the dog?!?! I would defiantly NOT buy a dog from him and I'd let everyone I know not to either. that's just wrong

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think what makes it worse is you can see him instigating the behavior. Watch as he keeps tapping at the legs and face of the black dog. I find this completely disturbing.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am so glad I am not alone in my opinion of this!

I just wanted to point out that he is a BREEDER with a website, and apparently is holding seminars! Is this not a step back for the German Shepherd breed? Is his plan to breed this false 'drive' into all of his dogs? I am terrified to think of the result.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did anyone read some of the comments defending this? :(
My husband and I both did, and were shocked by some of those comments. I can't help but wonder how many owners praise their dogs for "real food drive". :(

·
Registered
627 Posts
"what the UNTRAINED EYE is looking at is food agression. if you look at it from experience they are demostrating survival instinct...they feel that the person or animals around them have the ability to take thier food from them...is it right depends on the dog you are breeding...do i feel the dogs will attck him if he tries to touch the food...definately. But if you look at the subtlies of the video he is also correcting the dogs directed agrression and praising them for stopping...."

This comment has to take the cake. There is a great difference between survival instinct and food aggression. After having a dog with food aggression I feel I can definably say that this is food aggression. Even if this is "survival instinct" the dog should not have to feel it needs to defend its food against a human.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"what the UNTRAINED EYE is looking at is food agression. if you look at it from experience they are demostrating survival instinct...they feel that the person or animals around them have the ability to take thier food from them...is it right depends on the dog you are breeding...do i feel the dogs will attck him if he tries to touch the food...definately. But if you look at the subtlies of the video he is also correcting the dogs directed agrression and praising them for stopping...."

This comment has to take the cake. There is a great difference between survival instinct and food aggression. After having a dog with food aggression I feel I can definably say that this is food aggression. Even if this is "survival instinct" the dog should not have to feel it needs to defend its food against a human.
I do not understand how they see the handler correcting the aggression and then praising for stopping. That is ridiculous. It is obvious that the handler is praising the aggressive behaviour.

·
Registered
877 Posts
When you have accomplished what Koos has, then you can make comments about him and his breeding program.
Whatever you (or I for that matter) think of Koos and his dogs is rather irrelevant. Tiekerhook speaks for itself, and has done so for quite sometime.
I always find it rather humerous that those who know the least always have the most certain and steadfast positions.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What the heck??? Wow, that is just nuts. One of the first things I do when I get a puppy is see what their food drive is like. (I just never knew before I found this website that that is what you would call it.. :)) There are always little kids around and I feel it is very important for my dog to not be possessive or aggressive about their food. Amadeus was the type of dog where I could literally and did take bones out of his mouth. Some people may not "condone" that, but I was confident that anyone could come by and pet or move him while he was eating without fear or worry of harm.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you have accomplished what Koos has, then you can make comments about him and his breeding program.
Whatever you (or I for that matter) think of Koos and his dogs is rather irrelevant. Tiekerhook speaks for itself, and has done so for quite sometime.
I always find it rather humerous that those who know the least always have the most certain and steadfast positions.

I beg your pardon. I am a certified Animal Care Technician that specializes in dogs and dog behaviour, with a passion for the breed and a great deal of knowledge on both breeding and canine behaviour. I also worked for a breeder, and was thoroughly exposed to the breeding world.

I stated my opinion on this, and wanted to make sure this type of thing wasn't practiced among other breeders. (For my own peace of mind.) You are entitled to your opinion, as all people are, but I ask that you respect me and anyone else and not assume I "know the least" just because my opinion is different from yours.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL Wild Wolf. That does not put you in a position to judge Koos Hassing. There are some people in a position to judge Koos and his breeding program, but I am quite certain that you are not one of them.
That is silly, Zahnburg. I have the right to state my opinion, especially when it comes to something as serious as rewarding negative aggression. I believe that breeders are to be judged by everyone, and especially by their methods and the dogs they produce. I may not be a judge at some prestigious dog show, but I can recognize poor training methods when I see them. As my husband says, "You don't need to be a chef to know the food tastes terrible."

I will not continue this conversation with you.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Art, I've never heard of the guy and I'm not going to waste any time to google him.

I don't care how many titles the guy has earned. As far as I'm concerned put him in the same boat as people who have gotten titles on some seriously weaked nerved SL dogs so bad everyone is confident the titles were bought.

No one is allowed to do whatever they want because they have a certain reputation.

Care to explain why this should be defended?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm such a weenie, I went back to the first post intending to watch the video and read the post that went with it and just couldn't bring myself to watch it.

Sorry, I'll come back and try again...it just sounds horrifyingly (is that a word?) wrong on many levels.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I doubt Koos is in much need of defense from us.
OKay better choice of words...

Can someone explain why what he is doing isn't bad? What is the purpose?

I disagree with people who string up dogs but I know why they are doing it.

Why is this guy doing this? How is this behavior desireable?

This does not look like a desireable behavior to me

·
Registered
877 Posts
Wild Wolf, you are silly indeed. Breeders are judged; the way that they are judged is weather or not people buy pups from them, not on a pet message board. You certainly do have a right to state your opinion, but my point is that your opinion does not mean anything. You are not in a position to judge Koos , except in the capacity of not buying a pup from him.
Am I calling Koos and asking for a pup? No; but that certainly does not put me in a position to judge what he is doing.
I do not blame you for not wanting to discuss this, as I am pretty sure that you do not know what you are talking about.

Brandi,

If you own a German Shpherd Dog and are unaware of Koos and Tiekerhook I find this mind-boggling.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.