German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 5 month old german shepherd from working lines. Hes is about 35 pounds which i think is light. Some trainer recommended a home made recipe with kibble

3 gallons of water (high heat)
8 cups of pasta
8 cups of rice
4 eggs
4 diced potato
Granola oil.
And some Canidae chicken n rice kibble

Can you guys please help me out if this is a good recipe to be feeding my pup. The trainer is gone on vacation for 3 months and i dont know the serving amount and so how many cups of the homemade/ kibble should be fed a day(ratio) ???
I want my pup to be back to normal weight.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
No, this is absolutely not a good recipe to feed your puppy. It is a bunch of empty calories and not at all nutritionally appropriate.

First you need to figure out why your dog is pooping so much. Until you do that you're going to have a problem with weight gain. If you want to cook for your dog then have a professional formulate a recipe for your dog. It is very complicated to get all of the ratios correct. Check out Monica Segal's website but she won't be able to help you until you figure out what's going on health-wise with your puppy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats specifically wrong with it though? He is still getting at least 2cups of kibble a day with that homemade food. The kibble has all the nutrients doesn't it? Other dog owners just feed kibble and im pretty sure bad stuff like iams n purina are worse. Eggs are healthy, pasta is good i dont really get whats so bad? My pups pooping fine as well. 3-4 times daily

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Whats specifically wrong with it though?ont really get whats so bad?
You're adding in a bunch of fillers that really serve no beneficial nutrients to your dog's diet. Dogs are carnivores. They don't need all this extra pasta, rice, and potatoes that's already in the canidae.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
terrible.

Number one if your dog is genetically meant to be smaller , making him over weight won't be of any benefit, to the opposite , harmful.

That homemade food , pardon me , is pig slop.

pooping 3 to 4 times a day is not good -- indicates the dog is getting much too much fibre , indegistible material which will be hard on the pancreas .

the homemade stuff is grains , high in omega 6, pro inflammatory . All you are doing is giving empty calories .
no minerals.
Canola oil is omega 6 and most of it comes from genetically modified grain/seeds.

-------

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Please don't feed this to your puppy. If you can afford it "Monica Segal" offers a "puppy consultation" Puppy Consultation

If not then I would stick with a good kibble or maybe "The Honest Kitchen".

Michaela

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
This recipe is flat out ludicrous. What is the purpose of all these grains, carbohydrates, empty calories, and fiber for a baby puppy??? You are already feeding a high quality kibble - why are you adding extras which serve no earthly purpose for a carnivore. The kibble is sufficient - do not add these unnecessary extras. They are counterproductive and harmful!

Do NOT overfeed your puppy - keep growing pups fit, ribby, and on the thin side. They are growing, will be awkward, and gangly at this stage. He will be what he is genetically determined to be. Overfeeding him will add extra weight and compromise proper bone/joint development - it won't make a bit of difference on his eventual size....

What kind of trainer is this...egads :eek:

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
You're adding in a bunch of fillers that really serve no beneficial nutrients to your dog's diet. Dogs are carnivores. They don't need all this extra pasta, rice, and potatoes that's already in the canidae.
^What he said. The Canidae is fine, and if you want to add an occasional egg to it, that's fine too. No need for the pasta, rice, or potatoes. There's already rice in the kibble, and why would you add pasta, when Canidae specifically does not include wheat?

Made the CANIDAE® Way with Superior Quality: No Corn, Wheat, Soy, Grain Fractions or Fillers and Naturally Preserved

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have to agree with carmspack it's pig slop, why on earth wood you feed your puppy that stuff, the eggs are fine but not pasta and potatoes, it's a dog not a person

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok its good then that i didnt make the food. Im now wondering how my trainer got certified as a nutritionist...

Do u guys know any healthy recipies then with good nutritious ingrediants? I could find any on the forum. I like making food at home.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Contact Sabine at www.betterdogcare.com

She formulated a homecooked recipe for my dog that is nutritionally complete.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I would start with asking your vet if your dog is at a good weight. If you want to improve the diet, why not just and an occasional egg or some sardines in water to kibble.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Do u guys know any healthy recipies then with good nutritious ingrediants? I could find any on the forum. I like making food at home.
I wouldn't feed a growing puppy any recipe that I found on the internet, there is tons of misinformation floating around. Here is an example what can happen if you feed the wrong diet: Diffuse osteopenia and myelopathy in a pu... [J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Once your pup is grown you can purchase balanced recipes here. These recipes are for ADULT dogs and not growing puppies: Canine Nutritional Booklets

1 - 13 of 13 Posts