1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Looks like a nice place. Be sure to check into taxes and insurance costs before you sign and if it isn't in the same town you live in now, check for local rules on rescues etc. A 5 acre yard would be great!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Another thing to think about, though minor in cost compared to lots of other things, is replacing those tiny windows in the bedrooms. With a brick house like that, you'll have some brick work to do as well. But unless you are super skinny- you're not going to be able to get out of those windows in case of a fire.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Look cool! Like the above poster said, just look into zoning rules and such if it's going to be a "business" in any sense.

And yes, taxes and all that jazz.

If you think you can downsize, then why not?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a nice place. Be sure to check into taxes and insurance costs before you sign and if it isn't in the same town you live in now, check for local rules on rescues etc. A 5 acre yard would be great!
We did look into all this taxes and insurance are cheaper then the house we live in. The land deemed farm and agricultural not sure but I think there would be no problem I will certainly look into the regs and bylaws thanks for the advice!:)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Another thing to think about, though minor in cost compared to lots of other things, is replacing those tiny windows in the bedrooms. With a brick house like that, you'll have some brick work to do as well. But unless you are super skinny- you're not going to be able to get out of those windows in case of a fire.
LOL...I think those windows are fine :) They look like just about any windows in 1950's ranches across the US>

I don't know why you would need to do brick work with replacement windows? You can easily do it without needing to do that, you'll just frame the up with some wood when you pop out the old ones.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I agree on looking into town ordinance regarding rescues or how many animals allowed on property. With five acres zoned for horses, you may be fine with any number, but it is always a good idea to check. There is a town close by to us that just changed their licensing fees for purebred dogs. The fee skyrocketed.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were planning on doing renos with the money made on our present home. We never paid attention to those little windows thanks for pointing that out! :)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
In Ontario all bedrooms need to have windows big enough to fit out of (even basement windows). Our building code even regulates the minimum amount of LIGHT to get in! :rolleyes:
Our attic is converted into a master suite and it had to have a sliding glass door installed and then a balcony because of said door LOL
Miss Molly May, I'd definitely trade up for that!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In Ontario all bedrooms need to have windows big enough to fit out of (even basement windows). Our building code even regulates the minimum amount of LIGHT to get in! :rolleyes:
Our attic is converted into a master suite and it had to have a sliding glass door installed and then a balcony because of said door LOL
Miss Molly May, I'd definitely trade up for that!
Maybe I should put a condition of sale we will buy only if I could fit my big butt threw the window!:D just kidding lol

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
LOL...I think those windows are fine :) They look like just about any windows in 1950's ranches across the US>

I don't know why you would need to do brick work with replacement windows? You can easily do it without needing to do that, you'll just frame the up with some wood when you pop out the old ones.
How would you go about putting in a bigger window without removing some bricks under the smaller window? As it were, my grandparents just bought such a house with exactly the same style windows. They are SO high (look at the pic- they are at the roof line!) that you would practically have to have a ladder to get out of them from inside. It's simply not safe. Imagine having to lift your 80-95lb male GSD up 5.5' to get them out the window. I'm quite strong- been lifting weights since I was a kid, just recently maxed out at 300lbs on the bench press- but even I would find it difficult to lift nearly 100lbs out such a small, high window as that. I'm just saying- my opinion is that old school window is antiquated and unsafe. It's just my opinion man...

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I love the land. It looks like a really nice house too.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
How would you go about putting in a bigger window without removing some bricks under the smaller window? As it were, my grandparents just bought such a house with exactly the same style windows. They are SO high (look at the pic- they are at the roof line!) that you would practically have to have a ladder to get out of them from inside. It's simply not safe. Imagine having to lift your 80-95lb male GSD up 5.5' to get them out the window. I'm quite strong- been lifting weights since I was a kid, just recently maxed out at 300lbs on the bench press- but even I would find it difficult to lift nearly 100lbs out such a small, high window as that. I'm just saying- my opinion is that old school window is antiquated and unsafe. It's just my opinion man...
Yes, it's your opinion. We've got windows just like them in our house. I actually climbed in and out of them when we were getting our floors refinished so we could have access to the bathroom :)

You didn't specifiy in your first post that you were talking about making the windows bigger, just "replacing" them. No, you do not have to cut out brick to replace a window.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yes, it's your opinion. We've got windows just like them in our house. I actually climbed in and out of them when we were getting our floors refinished so we could have access to the bathroom :)

You didn't specifiy in your first post that you were talking about making the windows bigger, just "replacing" them. No, you do not have to cut out brick to replace a window.
I think it was more than implied:
I'm glad you were able to get out of yours without issue. The truth is, I don't really give a **** about arguing about window size on a GSD forum. I'm sure any firefighter would tell you that being able to get you and your family (pets included) out of your house in case of an emergency shouldn't be an afterthought. I was simply bringing that to the OP's attention.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I was simply bringing that to the OP's attention.
OK, and all I'm saying is there is probably no point in getting alarmist on window size that is OK to fire standards and probably on a 1/3 of the houses out there. :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
We did look into all this taxes and insurance are cheaper then the house we live in. The land deemed farm and agricultural not sure but I think there would be no problem I will certainly look into the regs and bylaws thanks for the advice!:)
That's great. Anytime you can get more land, save money on taxes and insurance, and enjoy the area seems like a good move. It seems like you are looking at this in a realistic manner knowing there would of course be some structural changes you might want to make. I'd say go for it just because I dream of having 5 acres. No one here has that much land, not even the rich people.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
What a beautiful place! I'm in a small home on five acres - wouldn't trade the property for anything! Love the room, the quiet, the peace, the privacy - and always have the big open space to play chuckit with the ultraball!

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Look just ship the horse barn to Oregon for me. Then you can build a kennel to suit you.

As far as windows go, if you have a second story or for the high windows you might want to consider a collapsable fire ladder stored near them.

House looks a lot like the brick ranch built in 1965 that I am living in now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts