German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small dining room (8x12) off my kitchen. We rarely use it. I was thinking of converting it to a dog room for foster dogs or my dogs when I want to contain them without crating them.

There's a door to the backdeck and fenced yard that I could put a doggy door in and have it open when someones home. The entrance to the laundry room is also in the dinning room so that is convenient for needing to wash bedding.

We have the pergo type flooring in the whole house. I'm thinking about covering that up in the new dog room with some vynal linolium flooring for easier cleanup. I'm not worried about ruining the pergo, it's already ruined and will be replaced if we ever decide to move.

So...I would appreciate some thoughts on all of this. Good idea? Leave the floor like it is?

I need some sort of baby gate to block it off. I would like it to be pretty tall so a full size dog can't jump it. But I want it to have a door in it so it easier for humans to deal with. I also want to be able to mount it to the door jam instead of it being the pressure mount kind. I have googled some put don't see what I am looking for. Does anyone have any recommendations??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I actually saved a broken bi-fold door. The top half is the broken part, so I can have a half door, thats not solid (the bi-fold door has slats). The bottom half of the door is about chest high. It has two hinges still and I can just use a hook and eye closure. I actually just finished building a new laundry room. That is where Yoko had her pups. I put masonite on the bottom half of the walls (actually only two walls where puppies will be confined). Easy to clean. I would look for some type of flooring that is used for dog training buildings. If you are planning to foster, the slippery linoleum may not be good (i.e. dog afraid to walk on it). Stall mats can be used, if you can find them cheap enough. They are heavy, get the thinner ones. You will have to mind the water that gets under them though. Washable paint on the walls too. You said your laundry room was close, do you have a utility sink in there? I am glad I put one in my laundry room. I am not quite finished with it yet, still working on putting up shelves in the closet and still need overhead cabinets above washer/dryer. But it looks great, a lot better than what we had.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I would tile the floor and the lower half of the wall for the "pukers" :rolleyes:
When any mess gets beween cracks of any other type of flooring, it smells and it's tough to get the smell out. I'd also get a steel front door (they're about $100 from Home Depot) and just take out the glass window panels.
There have been times in my life where I just wish our dog room was contstructed like a giant version of our shower stall so I could take a hose to the entire room :sick:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
since your not worried about the floors just
leave them the way they are. put in a glass door
so you can see the dogs when they're in the room
and they can see you. having a dog room is nice.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would tile the floor and the lower half of the wall for the "pukers" :rolleyes:
When any mess gets beween cracks of any other type of flooring, it smells and it's tough to get the smell out. I'd also get a steel front door (they're about $100 from Home Depot) and just take out the glass window panels.
There have been times in my life where I just wish our dog room was contstructed like a giant version of our shower stall so I could take a hose to the entire room :sick:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about a steel front door and remove the glass panels. Do you have this setup? If so, do you mind posting a picture of this so I can get a visual? Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I would put something on the lower half of the walls if you're serious about it. We have a similar setup, but no door to the backyard in that room. Our garage door opens into that room. We have their two big cages in that room and a lot of their stuff is stored on top of the 54" cage.

I have thought about putting a gate there but right now we've got the house set up so if we have to gate them off we can gate them into the dog room, the dining room, kitchen, and laundry room (all are interconnected, open floorplan). I would LOVE the lower half of the walls in the "dog room" to have easily washable material whether it be some kind of plastic or lining. I'm not sure how you would make that look good though.

There are lots of gate systems on the market - look at baby stores (especially online baby stores). They can be expensive for the big ones (I assume you have a big opening, ours is 6 or 7 feet I think), but worth it in the long run if you want a nice one that has a human gate in the middle for easy access.You could probably permanently install an x-pen, but depends on how nice you want it to look.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I don't have a dog room, but a dog shed. I just used peel and stick vinyl tiles and then ran tile board 4 feet up the walls and then drywalled. The tile board comes in large sheets at Lowes and attaches by gluing to drywall. It was cheaper and easier than ceramic tile. Easy to wipe clean too.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont really want to do anything to the walls at this point. that seems so permanent. I have highly scrubable paint on the walls right now.

I;ve done some research this morning. We are going to get a pre-hung door from Lowes and cut it to be a dutch door. All totalled should cost me less than $80. The gate I was looking at was $70 so this is a better deal!

The doggie door to the deck and yard will have to wait a few months until I save up some more money but it's not essential that I have that right now anyway.

Further down the road I want to get the rubber matting for the floor because that sounds nice. For now, the pergo will have to tough it out.

Our laundry room does not have a mud sink in it. Its a small laundry room..just big enough for the washer and dryer and chest freezer for Ava's food.

Thanks for all the input. I will post before and after pics tomorrow for those interested!!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about a steel front door and remove the glass panels. Do you have this setup? If so, do you mind posting a picture of this so I can get a visual? Thanks!!
I just meant something like this:

With either the glass panel taken out or left in, if you prefer. If you get a foster that jumps on the door, it could cause a lot of damage... A steel door would minimize damage to paws and can be fixed with a coat of paint :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
...I;ve done some research this morning. We are going to get a pre-hung door from Lowes and cut it to be a dutch door. All totalled should cost me less than $80. The gate I was looking at was $70 so this is a better deal!
Oh you are going to love that. I built a dutch door out of a hollow core door just this past week for a back room (mud room) where I currently have some baby kids. The door was already there, and the dutch doors are so handy! I can just open it up and lean over it and bottle feed the kids.

I think I would check into finding a reminant of linolium to slap down on the flooring, then if you are worried about traction, you can put a mat on top of that. I like my vinal flooring that I have in my back room. It's water proof, and I use straw to absorb the water/pee left by the goats.

I think I am going to pick up some 4X8 sheets of white bathroom board to put on the walls next. I can turn it sideways, and sheet the whole room up 4 feet with just two pannels. I think just a few dots here and there with the construction adhesive would hold it up just fine, and then when it comes time to take it down, if it does dammage the sheet rock any, a little dab of joint compound fixes that easily.

It's sure nice having a "nursery" for animals when the weather isn't ideal outside! :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
That sounds like a really good idea. I'd say a tiled floor, something along the bottom parts of the wall to prevent scratches, a door would be good but you don't need one (my dining room has the frame, but no door and we use a little gate), thick windows, and then you can't forget the things dogs would simply like to have. By this I mean, food and water (obviously), toys/balls/ropes, an opened crate for those who just like them (my grandma's dog LOVES being in her crate, just not when it's closed), maybe a dog bed, and maybe on a shelf have a radio or something playing because some dogs don't always like it being silent.

Here's a link to where you can get gates:
Dog Gates .com pet gates, dog and cat pet doors and Pet fence systems for your dog and cat.

Good luck! :]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts