German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had both of my dogs on RAW for a long time, but I just couldn't keep up with it financially. Right now, they are on Grain Free, and I try to keep with Nutri Source, but with the only store with it being kinda far and Petsmart being within walking distance, sometimes they are on Wilderness... Now.. that being said. I supplement their diets already with Fish oil ( or fish itself, tuna, mackerel, salmon), Yogurt, daily vitamins, etc. Now, I was curious where would be the best place to get home cooked recipes to make, and how much to feed? This would be a bit more complicated in my eyes than RAW, as that was very easy for me to learn, but it also seems like it might be better than even the grain free foods? Now, Cullen that we know of doesn't have allergies of any sort, but Gizmo has allergies to Corn, Wheat, and Rice. We aren't sure about Oatmeal, but we are going to add a bit into her food and do that as our last "grain type" elimination! I already give Cullen rice sometimes with his food, and they don't get table scraps, but they do get cooked meats, eggs, etc sometimes also. They even get Raw Meals as much as possible! Anyways, I just wanted to see if I could get some advice on possibly going home cooked for these two!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
In my experience I spend more when I make home cooked than when I feed kibble, and I can't imagine it being cheaper than raw either. I often will buy ground beef when it is on sale cheap- like 20 pounds to make it worth it. Then I buy 5 pounds of brown rice, and two pounds of frozen veggies. I cook the rice and veggies together, then the beef, and mix well. I buy the snack sized sandwich bags and put one cup of home cooked food in each. Then when feeding they get a cup of kibble which is Orijen or TOTW since I rotate and a half cup of home cooked twice a day so three cups of food total, but only one cup of the home cooked a day.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I forgot to add I freeze the bags and just thaw in the fridge daily or heat in the microwave. Since your one pup can't do rice I guess you'd have to primarily do meat and veggies?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fish I feel depends. We do a lot of fishing ourselves, or we buy for ourselves, and only use what we would feel comfortable eating. Also, what I meant most of the time is, they will get a bit of canned mackerel every now and again.

As far as the yogurt, Yes. They get plain yogurt, no sugar, no added anything!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've posted how I create and balance a homemade diet here,

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/85948-how-i-create-balance-homemade-diet.html

I feed raw but the same 'rules' would apply to cooking as well.

Basically I go by NRC's guidelines for what a dog needs nutritionally by weight, source the ingredients I want to feed, find the nutrients in the foods I am feeding, compare the 2 and tweak based on fitting the right nutrients into the right number of calories. Any holes are then supplemented.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have been doing homemade basically because raw intimidates me...I buy ground beef and ground turkey. I drain the fat, I add to 6 pounds of meat a cupfull of frozen peas & carrots, and either rice, pasta or even a potato. For variety I use a whole cooked chicken, frozen fish white fish or salmon, and feed raw beef bones once a week as a treat. I like the veggie pasta and sometimes use breadcrumbs. I will add two eggs nowe and then plus the ground up shells. I suggest a cook-book, and be sure to research the foods dogs should never eat (like onions, grapes, raisins, etc.) I cook 2-3 times a week in the mornings before work...it takes about a half an hour to make 4 days of food for two dogs. I too freeze in baggies-usually a 3 meal supply per bag.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've been cooking for my pup for over a week (digestive issues), whew, it's not easy for me nor my wallet! I'm on track to spend $150 this month cooking for him. 2+ lbs of meat (raw weight) per day at $2-$2.5/lb. I can't afford it, not to mention my concerns about him not getting the correct supplements.

I'd rather do RAW, it just seems easier in my mind over cooking, especially when making sure they get proper OM, RMB and MM.

I'm hoping to one day be able to get him on a dry kibble and supplement with raw or cooked in small portions.

That is just my novice opinion on this subject.

edit: from my searching, http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9Kitchen/ is a great place for raw and cooked meals.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I have cooked for my dogs off and on for 15 years. Rafi does best on raw so no cooking at this time. I do cook some for my cat though.

I learned to cook for my dogs using Pitcairn's book. The recipes are made with grains but I made substitutions using sweet potatoes and potatoes for my non-grain eaters. It is very clear in terms of vitamins, etc.

Monica Segal has a couple of books, a web site and a yahoo group.
Welcome to Monica Segal
Welcome to Monica Segal

Whole Dog Journal did a series on homemade diets. If you don't already have a subscription, that's a great resource. Once you're a subscriber you can access the archives on-line. A Homemade Dog Food Diet - Whole Dog Journal Article

1 - 9 of 9 Posts