German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you come up with the name for your puppy? We saw the name list on this forum and saw two names that are pretty good candidates, but still looking for more!

Would appreciate any recommendations or resources ..

Best regards,
Tanya

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I googled names, and kept looking at lists. I wanted powerful names because this is a powerful breed. Apollo and Zeus just seemed to fit my pair. I've noticed that mythical gods' names are popular...

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I've sort of been on a "California history" kick... started with
kitty "Gracie" (the four kitties at the shelter, George, Burns,
Gracie, and Allen) then went to "Tamsen" after Tamsen Donner of
the Donner party... then "Lola" for Lola Montez, then "Sierra"
who had that name (convienently enough) when we got her.

Maybe a similar theme would work for you. Or, take a look at
different names in your pup's pedigree, and combine them or
use them in another language (German, Spanish?) can be neat.

·
Super Moderator
7,707 Posts
i'm a hoarder when it comes to names - i've had lists of names for future kids and future pets since before i could remember. the funny thing is that - when i get a new pet, i never actually use the names on the list

i'll run thru the list of my current pets names and how i got them, then a list of just my favorite names:

Gia - from a movie i loved at the time, and she was just as wild and crazy yet lovable as the real Gia...

Tilden - after a park in my hometown, lots of childhood memories there, and somehow when i saw him that same warm/happy feeling came over me.

Mica - my cat, she's a grey cat, but way too interesting looking for the typical "grey names"

Tahj - i have no idea where this came from, i'd named him Tabor the first week i had him, then changed it to Tahj

Past pets - Sierra, Morgan, Kiely, Dexter, Dylan, Jasmyn, Rexi...

Name favorites - Aspen, Mason, Harper, Logan, Addison, Wes, Roman, Nadia, Ashton, Reiko, Nautica, Berlin & Brick

Good luck

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Sofie is really "Ussina" - the U litter. I just liked Sofie.

Jack? He's from a J litter and Andrew, his breeder had dubbed him "Blackjack" because he was a baaaaad puppy. LOL.

Here he is in his first real collar...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
After seeing Jesse for the first time we went home to sleep on the decision of taking him or not and I woke up with his name in my head, came to me in a dream that my next dog would be Jesse and it would be a dog with soulful eyes. Jesse has that as well.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
My dog was picked up on the streets by an area trainer who named him "Harrison" because he was found on a road by that name. It's a cute name, but to me it just did not fit him one bit. I had wanted a short name, one that would allow commands to be easily rolled after the name. I wanted something that would carry long distances and be strong. I picked "Renji," which is the name of an anime character: http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Renji_Abarai

Renji is a smug, cocky, determined dog, he does not back down from a challenge (unfortunately), loves a good fight (well, roughhouse and tug) he's pushy, and great with those he loves, so the name fits well.

Of course, names sometimes just don't end up fitting an animal. I named my ferret "Mirci" after a cat I'd known that was incredibly cuddly and people-oriented. My ferret ended up being more like a living museum piece or a figure of royalty: "Look at me, appreciate my beauty from afar, provide me with what I need, then leave me alone, thank you."

I like to think of names for different letters of the alphabet, and right now I'm really liking the sound of "Hrale" (HRA-lay), but who knows what the name of my next critter will be!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
We always pick 5 that we like and then write the names down and put them in a hat, shake and pick. It's a time honored tradition and it seems to always result in just the right name.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
First two were already named - next was named as a beauty queen for the county whose humane society held her. (She had dark eyeliner on a light face & glossy black lips + I was mocking a relative that competed in pageants and hated that her name had been a dog's name.) It was a neat name because it had the year I got her in it as in "Miss X county, 1988" so I could alway figure her age easily. I still date things from that year! Next dog had a name, following dog has a horrid registered name but a call name that reflects the state from which I got her (City didn't seem right) as well as the name of a folk singer, Barker the Younger - I had a name picked out but I had forgotten to chose one from the right letter of the alphabet. The breeder handed me a list of names and said "I like this one." So I said "fine" and there that's how she got her name. Mr. Rescue dog - was a real mess, I was going to call him a name that reflected his condition but he didn't respond to the name - I told the vet I got him instead of new tires for the truck and the vet suggested a tire brand name. I liked it. So did the dog. A couple of hounds at the barn other people called butch and sundance but I thought they were stripe and spotless.
Names got to fit the dog. Dog's got to like the name.
Don't know what I would have done with a kid. I'd have had to have it several days or a couple of weeks before I could name it myself.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Well I sort of had an american indian thing going, first GSD was Apache, then came Cheyenne, when I got DeeDee I couldn't think of any name that fit her other than Little Bit, because she was a little bit of sweetness and a litte bit of sassy, so her name is DeeDee Little Bit. Then Lakota, but his Registered name is "Vargas Lektro Sixgun Lakota". Raya was 8 months old when I got her, so no decision there.

Val

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a list of names too. This last lady I asked for help from the board. Her name was lucy and it fit, but the others (relatives) wanted her name to go with the other pups.

So she's now Charm, the third gsd in the house, Third Times a Charm.

Chase got his name from the bank. When they changed names we thought it would be a good name for a dog. And he fits the description.

Chopper was called pork chop by the breeders grandson. So I call him Chop Chop, which became Chopper.

I'm not sure how long I can continue with this Ch thing...

China, Chevy, Charlie, Chuck, Chino...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have no imagination whatsoever. I named my GSD Charlie after the star in the cartoon "All Dogs go to Heaven". Fits him perfectly though.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Whenever I went to see my pups or picked them out at the shelter I always immediately knew their name.
So I have had Titan, Colonel (Sire was General and he couldn't outrank his dad
), Felishia, Faith (She crossed her paws when we picked her up like she was praying), Rex (after DH's Grandfathers GSD), Mace. Sunny and Honey were because of their golden color.
KC was actually named by my 7 year old daughter. DH just chose how to spell it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I named mine after my favorite raggae singer... BERES HAMMOND.
Pernounced like bear - ress. I Was going to name him Marley but my cousins pitbull is named Marley. Pick a name that is unique and MEANINGFUL to you, and at the same time not too confusing to your pup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts