German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently using Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Formula and Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy formula and after doing lots of reading here I'm thinking it's probably not the best food for our dogs. The other foods I'm considering are Taste of the Wild, Blue and Merrick (not sure which formulas I would try first). What exactly should I be looking for to help decide? (That's a loaded question I know!)

Rennie is 4 1/2 and while she's a dainty eater, I don't think she's picky. Ridley (11 months) will eat anything you put in front of him. One of my concerns is that he's gained weight too quickly on Nutro - he was originally on TOTW and we in our infinite wisdom switched him because we've always used Nutro.

Our last male, Rex, had an weird problem which the vet never thought was allergies and I can't help but wonder if changing food would have helped him. He had chronic rhinitis (ie a cold) . . . our vet ran lots of tests and we took him to the UT Vet school where he was tested for lots of other things and there was never a real diagnosis. Poor dog sneezed and had a disgustingly gross runny nose for the last 4 years of his life. I

For you RAW folks out there, I'm intrigued but I think my husband would go nuts if I tried something like that. One day, I'll be retired and can do it all myself and won't worry about his opinion since I won't need him to do half the work!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
My dogs got very sick on Nutro. :( One refused to eat and was lethargic. The other two, who are pigs, had vomiting and pools of blood coming out the other end.

TOTW is a decent food. We have one on the 4Health from Tractor Supply and she is doing well. I don't know about the other foods as I feed a RAW diet now.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We just switched from Nutro Choice Large Breed to TOTW Wetlands formula. For years we fed Nutro, but over the past few months, our 3 1/2 year old developed numerous ear infections and yeast infections between his toes. Continuous paw licking.
Nothing in his routine or environment had changed so we thought we'd try a food change.
We are just a little way into our 2nd bag of food and the paw licking has stopped and the final ear infection is almost gone.

We have always fed plain yogurt with all or food as well, but have recently added a probiotic powder along with the yogurt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We feed TOTW here, they are on the Pacific stream formula.
My boy has a gas problem with the TOTW but aside from that they are doing good. Nice coats, overall good health and energy etc.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
My dogs got very sick on Nutro. :( One refused to eat and was lethargic. The other two, who are pigs, had vomiting and pools of blood coming out the other end.
I had the same experience feeding Nutro to Zoey. :( My dog with a stomach made of steel, was vomiting blood, having bloody diarrhea and became lethargic. Upon research, I came across many other owners having the same problem, several who's dogs had died from eating this food. I do not trust this food. I fed it for -years- but after my last experience with it I simply can not trust them anymore.

Just read some of the reviews other people have had with it...

Consumer complaints about Nutro Pet Foods

Zoey is currently on TOTW and doing great. :) (I rotate formulas) Chance has also ate it and done great.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I feed TOTW venison/bison formula and Orijen Red. My dogs love both formulas and do well on them. Just look for a food with no corn, wheat, and soy in your price range:)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to change foods . . . that much HAS been decided. I'm still debating about which food to go with. I actually started talking about RAW with my husband and got some unexpected support from friends who didn't think it was that crazy (I don't think it's crazy - just very different from what most of us are used to doing!). Anyway, we're going to think about RAW for a while and switch to something better than Nutro in the meantime.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I think I'm going to go with TOTW for now. I've got just enough of the Nutro left to do a slow switch over.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts