German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I wasn't able to find info on this around as it is a rare pup that I am looking to get.

I have a 5 and a half month pure Gsd and when she is closer to a year old perhaps in 5 months or so, I am thinking about getting an Anatolian Shepherd. I am originally from Turkey thus Anatolian Shepherd. GSD is my #1 and Anatolian Shep is my #2 (been living in the States for 10 years now).

So my question is... Generally speaking of course, every dog has their own personality and dorkiness... What do you guys think about a GSD and AS living together? My Gsd is female so I was think about getting a male AS so they don't try to be the top female... Instead brother and sister is what I'm thinking... AS are much bigger dogs but that's not the issue. It will be hard finding a pure bread AS so I will most likely get one from back home for even more authenticity.

What would you guys think that I should look out for? Or maybe it's a bad idea? Negative and positive remarks are more than welcome. I am testing the waters and prep myself for a second dog and an AS needless to say. Think of it as "contributing to my research".

Thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
261 Posts
While they don't live together, my sister has an Anatolian and I have the GSDs, when we visit each other they get along very well. Wrestle, play, etc. My sisters dog is much more laid back, but will play with Dante non stop for a week then sleep for the next two. One thing about the breed in general, they are very independent. My sister doesn't let Odin off leash except when Dante is around to bring him back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not sure where you are located but AS aren't uncommon on farms and ranches in the US. My sister drove down south somewhere to a goat and sheep ranch and picked up her boy. His parents were actually guarding flocks. He is great with her children and very protective of her home which is what she wanted with her hubby working long hours.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think before getting another dog make sure your 1st dog
is well trained and highly socialized.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
AS are going to be difficult to find from what I've seen unless you can find a farmer breeding them to continue his flock guardians. They're a breed I'm interested in as well. You might be able to find a quality breeder overseas and have a puppy sent to you that way. I know they're large dogs and very protective. Good luck in your search.

I also agree with DoggieDad that you should definitely wait until your pup is highly trained and socialized so you can focus a bit more energy on the new pup when you find one instead of struggling to correct behaviors that are undesirable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate it all, I live in NWA (NorthWest Arkansas) and already found a breeder in Springfield, MO which about a 2 hour drive (drove 3 and a half for my GSD) so it's not a big deal. They breed em to be a guardian for their flock.

I do not plan to rush grabbing an AS, just started doing my research. My pup is in Intermediate training at the moment and there is another class that she will attend. So I will wait till all that training sets in, and she is where I want her to be and her age is important as well... I socialize her every week with all kinds of breeds, small, big, young, old dogs and even children, teens and elderly.

One of the main reasons of doing that is so that the AS will have a role model to look up to and make the training for the AS a **** of a lot easier for us as well. My uncle did have one when I was growing up and it just got imbedded that I should get one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts