German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought a German Shepard puppy of a breeder who said she was an 8 week old pup. Once I picked her up outside of the house due to COVID-19 and got her home I noticed she was tiny and wobbly on her feet. She has her teeth and back ones I think! She is eating wet food and not drinking too much licks the finger. She sucks/bites my finger. But I don’t know if she’s the runt of the litter or younger than she is! please help! Never had a 8 week old pup before.
05DDF9E4-060A-4035-8099-506E924E24C4.jpeg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
80E29ED2-7C26-4D50-A1FA-FFAC28DD3B1D.jpeg
E29E037B-E220-4087-9DA1-9A6A69EDA630.jpeg

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That puppy looks WAY younger than 8 weeks to me personally. I think this “breeder” was giving you a load of bull. Have you taken her to the vet yet? I would do that ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paper work says she’s had microchip, and first injections done. She’s got vets next Friday only time could fit her in due to the virus

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
My experience with every pup so far is that 8 week old pups bite instead of suckle. 4 weeks maybe and needs to go to a surrogate dog.

·
Registered
188 Posts
“Breeder”... anything but. That pup should still be with it’s mom. It’s not a runt it’s probably only 6 weeks old. How much does it weigh?
Tbh even with covid as a breeder (if I was one) I could never, ever, leave a puppy outside for someone to pick up that’s shady as all get out

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
A B S O L U T E L Y A D O R E A B L E!!!

But odd color, almost like a touch of Heeler in there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What a cutie! But see the vet and ask about her age. Meanwhile I'd treat her like a young pup. Make sure the vet scans for that chip, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Never had a 8 week old pup before.
You will in 2-3 weeks 😉
I’ve had a 6 week old puppy before. It’s not ideal but it’s not the end of the world either. I would also recommend a surrogate of some kind if you can. If not, start talking to trainers in your area who can monitor her behaviour and guide you. It’s much easier to work with a trainer that knows them from the beginning and identify problems before they become problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts