German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I’m new to this blog but I’m really hoping to get some help and answers from fellow GSD owners. I have a almost three yr old female who is hyper enough for her age :) But she so thin! I’ve changed her dog food four five times which is dry I used to feed her in a bowl but she is also very food aggressive ? No one takes her food the other dogs know well she eats first then they do because how she is but she never had to fight for it so idk where that behavior came from so well I then thought she needed more food throughout the day and my sister said why don’t I get a self feeder so I did so she could eat when ever she wanted but she still soo thin and still food aggressive. I’ve started to do additionally a bowl of about cup and a half dry and then add wet food but noticed I could give her two bowls and she’ll eat it all.. and I have dewormed her every 6m period with the other girls. So idk why she still so thin? Can anyone help? Idk what else to do?

·
Registered
516 Posts
dry dog food is high in carbohydrates which can make a dog hyper. A better quality food w/ higher protein and adequate
vitamins and minerals would be much better whether a raw, semi raw, home cooked or canned. Dogs generally thrive
on a balanced diet containing meat and adequate balanced vitamins and minerals. Hard to get that without meat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has your vet done any lab work to check for EPI? (Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) This would give her a huge appetite but she would not be gaining weight no matter the amount of food she gets. Please also pay attention to her stools. Are they large, yellowish and cowpie-like? That too would be a symptom of EPI. Also, if she is always hungry she will be food aggressive with other dogs.
If you have a crate, feed her with the others but put her in her crate to eat. She will feel more secure & not be worried about one of the others taking her food. Feeding her first makes her feel she is "top dog!' In a wolf pack the alphas eat first. The others wait and get what is left.
A simple blood test called TLI will either help the vet diagnose EPI or rule it out. I hope this helps and you are able to get her back on track and at a healthy weight. EPI is a treatable condition. You will need to add enzymes to her food if she has it. Her body is not absorbing the nutrients in the food. She literally is starving if she has EPI. Best of luck figuring out what is going on.

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
can you post a photo of this dog? “too thin” can be subjective. one of my females didn’t start filling out until 3yrs.... at 27” she stayed around 65lbs, eventually maturing to 85.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Agree, need to see a photo. (side and top view)
Already mentioned, if what is the stool like??
There are several digestive health issues in GSD's. EPI IBD, or could be some other issue completely different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts