German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My german Shepherd is about 3 yeards old, he has a healthy appetite and I feed him diamond dog food, but he eats all kinds of food that he can steal from my 2 and 4 year old.

He has alwas been on the thin side and I tok him to the vet a year ago and the vet agreed. he tested him for everything but found nothing wrong. The vet just said some breeders bred the dopgs to be thin.

Today I was petting him and he is so skinny there is a bone on the top of his head sticking out. it looks very abnormal, it is because he is so thin. I took some pix but I don't know how to post them here.

Should I take him back to the vets and have him do further testing?

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Did testing for what? How are his stools? Test for EPI? SIBO?

I can't think how a breeder could "breed their dogs to be thin"? Maybe a thinner bone structure but not weight wise. That doesn't make sense to me but I could be wrong...it happens often. :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You might try switching to a higher quality food-- something like Taste of the Wild, 4Health available at Tractor Supply, or Kirkland at Costco. It's in the dog's best interest to be lean but being constantly hungry and not keeping a good weight isn't. If you need to add weight try making satin balls, the recipe is on the recipe forum

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a year ago I took him in because it looked like his legs were giving out so I was worried. The vet noticed his joints were a little loose, then we talked about his weight. I do not remember what he tested him for exactly. I have since moved to another state and this was a year ago.

I included 2 pix

one of the top of his head and the other of his face. He always looks so sad to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree too thin. Definatley take him to the vets, and maybe better dog food not that yours is bad but maybe he needs A different kind.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree, he's way too thin. Try the satin balls for immediate weight gain and maybe get a 2nd opinion

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your dog need's to go to a vet quick,there is something seriously wrong with him.
His head is like that because his muscles are being used up to stay alive.
Dont worry about trying to fatten him up,get him to the VET.
Please let us know how he is.
Linzi

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will take him in as soon as I find a vet in my area. Do you think the loose joints are pertinent as well? He is very young and the vet did think his joints were a bit loose. My dog is also very hyper to the point of being uncontrollable. I was working with a trainer and it helped a little, but he has so much energy and he is also very skidish.

I have tried to contact the breeder, she is in elizabeth co but she will not respond to me after calling her 3 times. I noticed on his papers his parents both have the same mother, different father. I am not sure of that's a good thing and maybe thats why he is not as healthy as he should be.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I will take him in as soon as I find a vet in my area. Do you think the loose joints are pertinent as well? He is very young and the vet did think his joints were a bit loose. My dog is also very hyper to the point of being uncontrollable. I was working with a trainer and it helped a little, but he has so much energy and he is also very skidish.

I have tried to contact the breeder, she is in elizabeth co but she will not respond to me after calling her 3 times. I noticed on his papers his parents both have the same mother, different father. I am not sure of that's a good thing and maybe thats why he is not as healthy as he should be.
Well, essentially that's inbreeding. Sometimes called "linebreeding".

Good article on it here:
Inbreeding and Linebreeding

Basically a half-sister got bred to a half-brother...I think...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, I thought I was alone in thinking something was wrong with him. Like I said before the vet I took him to felt that way also but found nothing.

My husband bought Hammy for me after my other German Shepherd ( Ryker) passed away on my birthday. Ryker was my best friend and gaurdian. I was crushed and my husband ran out and bought me a puppy from a breeder he trusted. He meant well, but this dog I think was bred poorly and the breeder knows it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
His joint's shouldn't be loose at 3 year's old.With the weight and muscle loss,plus hyperactivity,maybe he has a hormone problem.I agree, he does look sad,his coat also look's thin,or has he had a moult.
Linzi

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Call your previous vet and get his records. They can tell you over the phone what tests were run. From the way his skin hangs, t looks like his muscles are wasting?

How is his stool? Is it like pudding? Does he have diarhea a lot?

You could start a new thread asking for a good vet in your area.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I would get him on some digestive enzymes immediately. First I would make an appt with the vet, fast for 8-1e hours (I can't remember which) and demand a test for EPI and SIBO - do this before starting the enzymes. Regardless of test results, I would use the enzymes to make the most of the food given, your dog is starving to death.

Vanilla whey protein with no aspartame or xylitol can help support the muscles.

I would also test for ehrlichia and anasplasmosa via a heartworm Snap test.

If nothing shows up on those tests, I would test the thyroid. However, dogs suffering from untreated EPI or tick disease will often have abnormalities in other blood tests, like thyroid.

Act quickly, your dog is not well :(

1 - 20 of 56 Posts