German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just have a question and need your help here, I took Blade (2.5months old) to the Vet, he told me that he is thinner than he looks and has weak bones and that's the reason why he is not very hyper and playful sometimes so she gave me calcium syrup to give him twice a day 5ml in each meal. I feed him dry market food mixed with some can food 4 meals a day. I honestly dont see progress in his weight as it has been 3 weeks now. Should I change his food ? What do you guys say? I am posting his pix here as well. Cheers !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What food are you feeding him and many grams are you giving per day?
What are the recommendations on the packet?
Has he been checked recently for any worms or other parasites?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hand full of Kibble food mixed with some can dog food. Once I'm home I will take pix of the food. He has been wormed on the 11th of this month yes. Do you feel he is thin? He was 7.5 KG a week ago when I took him to the vet.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
That's within the normal range for a pup of that age: https://animalso.com/breeds/german-shepherd/weight-and-growth-chart/#German_Shepherd_Weight_Charts

His eyes are bright and full of mischief, and he appears healthy. Hard to say about the weight because he's a long coat, so we can't see any ribs!

I think you are worrying about nothing. I don't see any reason for calcium supplementation, if the food you are feeding is balanced. Supplementing with minerals when they are not needed is a bad idea! https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/calcium-supplements/

For some reason, I've often heard of vets from India worrying about a dog developing rickets. The 'cure' or prevention for rickets, which weakens the bones and causes them to bend, is vitamin D and calcium supplements. Now rickets is most common in countries that don't get enough sunlight during the winter. This certainly does NOT apply to India! So, I wonder just where this silly idea came from...:confused:

Edit: okay, I was mistaken - you are in the U.A.E. But still, lack of sunshine is one of the main causes of rickets, because the rays of the sun cause the body to produce vitamin D, which is known as the 'sunshine' vitamin, and there's certainly no lack of it where you live either!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think at 2.5 months he is a bit on the small side, but he isn't extremely underweight.
Once we know what brand of dog food you buy we might be able to comment a bit further.

Its hard to tell if he is underweight because of his fur... can you feel his ribs? Do they stick out a lot or can you only just feel them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet I go to is in Mirdif. I do feel his ribs but not too much to be worried. However the Vet said she can feel his spine bone being prominent.

I am not worried about Sunlight. Here in Dubai we lack star lights rather. The sun is blazing hot and brighter than anything lol especially at this time of the year.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Did you see the Vet for a problem or was it a routine visit and your vet found these issues ??....based on the pics--his eyes--his expression he looks pretty darn good and happy...it may be the norm for vets where you live...but I'm not sure how someone would diagnose "weak bones" in a 10 week old puppy who's still growing...what did the vet see to call bones weak ? I like others can't see ribs or spine because of his coat....his weight sounds good to me though....i've had some weighing a little more at 10 weeks and some less...either way it won't change what they grow into as adults.

What to feed is one of the most highly debated subjects on this forum.....some will say Royal Canin is good....others that it's not what it once was since Mars bought them years ago.....it's a brand that gets a lot of "hype" and most vets sell and/or recommend it.....It's a brand that at one time or the other I have and/or would feed.....for me personally I like to see some type of meat meal as the first ingredient---not rice--not by products....but once again he looks good to me based on what you already feed him.

As far as energy levels these guys as young puppies... "play hard" and then "sleep hard"...then repeat over and over again it's how they grow into adults.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hand full of Kibble food mixed with some can dog food. Once I'm home I will take pix of the food. He has been wormed on the 11th of this month yes. Do you feel he is thin? He was 7.5 KG a week ago when I took him to the vet.

How much EXACTLY is a handful for you????? A "handful" for me is about 1/2 cup. Use the link below and measure your pups food.

Which canned dog food and how much of that are you feeding per day?

Does the can say that it is a "Complete and Balanced" diet

OR

is it only for "supplemental feeding"????

Click on this link German Shepherd Junior - Dog Food - Royal Canin
then, click on "Feeding Guidelines"
The amount shown is "PER DAY".
Note the column of what your dog's adult weight will be.

Moms :)

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
I'm going to guess that you live in India.

They love to give your puppies extra calcium. Thst food you are feeding has everything your puppy needs for nutrients.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
For some reason, I've often heard of vets from India worrying about a dog developing rickets. The 'cure' or prevention for rickets, which weakens the bones and causes them to bend, is vitamin D and calcium supplements. Now rickets is most common in countries that don't get enough sunlight during the winter. This certainly does NOT apply to India! So, I wonder just where this silly idea came from...:confused:
Dogs don't produce their own Vitamin D through sunlight exposure. Geographical occurrences for rickets in humans has no correlation for that of dogs. This disease in dogs is almost entirely a nutritional deficiency.

India has a very different culture and resources available when it comes to feeding dogs then we do in the west. I've seen maybe a few dozen posts in the past few years from Indians on what they have been feeding. Think carb heavy and little meat. More vegetarian options. Limited commercial options. I see lots of preference for homemade, which generally consist of a poridge of some kind, milk/cheese, and vegetables. Not ideal for most dogs, but especially not for the large and giant breeds which are becoming more popular over there in recent years.

So, I can see why the Indian vets have their concerns.

I do not know if the OP's country has similar issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys. I live in Dubai not India.. the vets here are mostly English though. My handful is 1/2 cups. The vet told me this after feeling his ribs and especially spine bone. It is always good to take second opinions. But somehow I see weakness in his legs and he sits quite often after a run but maybe I am just worrying too much. I really want to try raw diet for him. I heard many good things about it after all they are beasts.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I live in Dubai not India.. the vets here are mostly English though. My handful is 1/2 cups. The vet told me this after feeling his ribs and especially spine bone. It is always good to take second opinions. But somehow I see weakness in his legs and he sits quite often after a run but maybe I am just worrying too much. I really want to try raw diet for him. I heard many good things about it after all they are beasts.
Sounds like you might be under feeding, especially since you are mixing in canned too. Canned food has such high water content it is naturally pretty low in Kcals. It looks like a lot in the bowl, but it's not from a nutritional stand point.

I looked at the feeding guidelines for the royal canin you are feeding (well the US version) and they are calling for 3 - 4 cups daily for an 8 - 12 week old pup.

I raised my most recent pup on raw, it has been good for us, but you've really got to do your research to make sure it is balanced for a growing pup.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
You aren't feeding him near enough. The guidelines for thst food say he shpuld be getting 4 cups per day at 3 months.

I would stop adding extra and just feed him what you are supposed to per the guidelines. And please stop the extra calcium.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
A quick google search and I see there are very limited choices for what here in the USA we would consider quality kibble available in Dubai. I did see that Dubaipetfood.com does have Acana and Orijen. Both considered high quality foods here. Orijen is pricey and some dogs don't tolerate it's richness. Acana is made by the same company and tends to be better tolerated overall (not quite as rich). Natures Variety is a quality food as well. IMO any of these would be of better nutritional value than Royal Canin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts